Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recently Purchased 70d from Tesla.com, Battery Loss/ degradation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All,
I recently purchased a used 2016 Tesla Model S 70d "March" Build, 81k miles from Tesla's website. The car was shipped from San Diego to Atlanta. After driving the car for the last couple of weeks I immediately noticed that when I charged the car to 90% with energy savings on/ stay connected off would indicate 211 rated miles.

After a couple of cycles at 90%, the miles seemed to drop very quickly. So I decided to charge to 100%, the 70d indicated 235 rated miles. I drove the car over the last two days and took pictures at 100, 50 and 1% just to see the Kwh used and how many miles I actually could get.

At 1% I was at 178.9 rated miles and 56.8 Kwh used. I read that the pre-facelift 2016 70d usable was 68.8 Kwh. If this is correct I am close to 25% degradation or some other fault??

Any thoughts or experience on this, please let me know. I made a service appointment to have them check what is going on. I expected perhaps an 8-10% loss, but not 25%. Would Tesla even admit that something doesn't check out here?

Thanks in advance
https://photos.app.goo.gl/jbT3tUzoySBTAUsY8

178.9 actual miles

was it all in one shot? that is really the only way to test

if it was over a few days with stops that kWh used doesnt show the "vampire" drain

i think the rated range on a 70d was 240 new so 5/240 = .0208 degradation. I might be wrong on that 240 new though ...

Check settings for “ideal” vs. “rated” miles. Make sure rated is selected.

70D had 240 miles range from the factory. If you’re showing 235 right now you’re either in ideal range or have a quite healthy battery for 80k miles.

You will not get that many in the real world. Extrapolating battery degradation or health from the energy meter is not reliable.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
charge to 100% and take a drive on the freeway at 55 mph max and see how many actual miles you get. try not to stop. i bet it is well over 200 miles

even with a brand new electric vehicle it is hard to get EPA rated range

It’s on rated. But at the end of the day it only got 180 miles on a 100% charge!

Yup.

Which can be perfectly normal over the course of a few days, the trips taken, your driving style, etc.

What was your wh/mi consumption over those 2 days as reported by the trip meter?

What was the weather?

Multiple short drives or fewer long ones?

Basically, you haven’t given enough information to determine exactly what’s going on. But even without knowing all of the details, your experience sounds perfectly normal.

You could expect ~230 miles from a charge on a single long highway drive in ideal conditions, with nice warm weather, no wind, and sticking to the speed limit. Any deviation from that will result in significantly lower observed range. That’s not a fault with the car. You’re wasting your time with a service appointment. Congrats on the purchase!

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocky_H and redgt
It’s on rated. But at the end of the day it only got 180 miles on a 100% charge!

Your logic is flawed in thinking that all miles driven consume the same energy. The faster you drive, the more energy used (especially on highway speeds above 55mph.) The faster you accelerate, the more energy used. Driving into a headwind saps energy. Wet pavement - saps energy. Driving uphill saps energy.

Like the others suggested, you’ll most likely get more range by driving under different conditions - like keeping it on cruise under 55 on flat roads for instance.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Yup.

Which can be perfectly normal over the course of a few days, the trips taken, your driving style, etc.

What was your wh/mi consumption over those 2 days as reported by the trip meter?

What was the weather?

Multiple short drives or fewer long ones?

Basically, you haven’t given enough information to determine exactly what’s going on. But even without knowing all of the details, your experience sounds perfectly normal.

You could expect ~230 miles from a charge on a single long highway drive in ideal conditions, with nice warm weather, no wind, and sticking to the speed limit. Any deviation from that will result in significantly lower observed range. That’s not a fault with the car. You’re wasting your time with a service appointment. Congrats on the purchase!

Thanks for the reply. I see everyone's point to, that it would need to be ideal conditions etc. BTW, the Tesla Wh/Mi was 317

317 is significantly above "Rated". I think it is 290 on a 70D so you were 10% over.

I can get rated at 67 mph with no head/tail winds and no elevation changes from 50-90 degrees ambient. I am usually in the mid 300s for daily commutes/short trips even in the summer. I exceed 67....

At 80k, you might not have OEM tires. Just something to consider for your usage. OEM's are LRR tires.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H and Tforme
Hello All,
I recently purchased a used 2016 Tesla Model S 70d "March" Build, 81k miles from Tesla's website. The car was shipped from San Diego to Atlanta. After driving the car for the last couple of weeks I immediately noticed that when I charged the car to 90% with energy savings on/ stay connected off would indicate 211 rated miles.

After a couple of cycles at 90%, the miles seemed to drop very quickly. So I decided to charge to 100%, the 70d indicated 235 rated miles. I drove the car over the last two days and took pictures at 100, 50 and 1% just to see the Kwh used and how many miles I actually could get.

At 1% I was at 178.9 rated miles and 56.8 Kwh used. I read that the pre-facelift 2016 70d usable was 68.8 Kwh. If this is correct I am close to 25% degradation or some other fault??

Any thoughts or experience on this, please let me know. I made a service appointment to have them check what is going on. I expected perhaps an 8-10% loss, but not 25%. Would Tesla even admit that something doesn't check out here?

Thanks in advance
https://photos.app.goo.gl/jbT3tUzoySBTAUsY8

Even if you achieved an efficiency equal to the EPA rating of 290Wh/mi (3.41mi/kWh). You would’ve on traveled 194 miles. Tesla didn’t let you use 68.8-70kWh of your battery. They only let you use 56.8kWh. Why? Because of degradation? Software limitation? Etc?

178.9 actual miles

was it all in one shot? that is really the only way to test

if it was over a few days with stops that kWh used doesnt show the "vampire" drain

i think the rated range on a 70d was 240 new so 5/240 = .0208 degradation. I might be wrong on that 240 new though ...

Yes, 240 miles is correct from the EPA ratings for the 2016 Model S 70D. So the OP has approximately 2% degradation. This is actually really good and in line with the minimal to no degradation that a lot of people are seeing. Tesla has a very good battery liquid cooling system, along with variable charge levels (e.g. maximum charge below 90%, which is better for the battery).

Yes, 240 miles is correct from the EPA ratings for the 2016 Model S 70D. So the OP has approximately 2% degradation. This is actually really good and in line with the minimal to no degradation that a lot of people are seeing. Tesla has a very good battery liquid cooling system, along with variable charge levels (e.g. maximum charge below 90%, which is better for the battery).
Why was he only able to use 56.8kW of his battery?

As explained previously in this thread, the 56.8 kWh of energy used on the display does not count energy used while the car is "off." This phantom drain includes energy lost overnight and any energy used for preconditioning, keep climate on, etc. The best way to test capacity is to do it in one drive with no extended stops.

As explained previously in this thread, the 56.8 kWh of energy used on the display does not count energy used while the car is "off." This phantom drain includes energy lost overnight and any energy used for preconditioning, keep climate on, etc. The best way to test capacity is to do it in one drive with no extended stops.
fair enough...

Keep in mind that when talking about many shorter drives over a period of days that consumption number has all sorts of opportunities to go sideways. Someone already mentioned vampire drain, but it also includes regeneration from stopping, etc.

I’d caution anyone against using that number for any sort of reliable measurement of battery degradation. The best indicator available for that without external tools is the rated range at 100%.