TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Recommendations for paint protectant

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Rmsosu, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Rmsosu

Rmsosu Member

My S arrives in 6 weeks. Do you have any recommendations for paint protectant, sealants, or wrap like Xpel? Is regular hand washing and waxing enough? In doing some research some of the options are quite pricey and I'm not sure they are worth it.

2. Wuggado?

Wuggado? Member

I took my car for paint correction, Xpel Ultimate wrap for full front and high exposure areas, and CQuartz Finest paint protectant as soon as I could after picking up the car. Yes, it was expensive, but in my area there are quite a few trucks on the freeways. Given that, I view the Xpel as the most vital piece. The Cquartz should help extend the life/look of the Xpel (and also makes the car look amazing), thus making that semi-vital as well. Total cost around $4400, but that's only 4.4% of the price of the car. Even though the car was brand new, it looked way, way better after the treatment.

And yes, regular hand washing of that is enough. No waxing required, or even recommended. The Cquartz replaces the wax, and if carefully washed using a rinse-less wash like Ultima or Optima the CQuartz should last well beyond the 2 year warranty. At least that's what my detailer told me.

Wuggado?

3. Rmsosu

Rmsosu Member

Thanks. I was leaning towards I was leaning towards Xpel and c Quartz but still want to hear about other options

4. PtG62901

PtG62901 Member

I'm in the same boat, waiting for a MS. In the Midwest, I have been quoted $5000 for a complete Xpel wrap. Someone from the Bay Area said they paid less. I'm fairly sure I would rather have complete Xpex, if the price was the same. I had Xpel front coverage on a 911, 15 years ago, and it worked great for me.

5. Rmsosu

Rmsosu Member

Thanks for the recommendation. I live in Ohio so we experience every type of weather imaginable.

6. EV-lutioin

EV-lutioin Member

Make sure you look at a side-by-side comparison of Xpel and ClearGuard Nano SL. If you do, I think you will choose ClearGuard. Both are good at protecting the paint, but CG appears far superior in clarity and texture.

7. Rmsosu

Rmsosu Member

8. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

Been very happy with Opti-Coat Pro. Makes interim detailing/bird present removal easy between hand washes every two weeks.

My next chariot will get fender/front clip/hood Xpel and then either Opti-Coat Pro or Permanon. The difference being one has a 5-year warranty with 5 microns of protection and the other does not.

9. docrice

docrice Member

My XPEL wrap (full coverage) has really saved me from many rock chips, tree branch swipes on the sides, Service Center handling, etc.. That said, I think SunTek is a little more clear than XPEL and perhaps less orange peel.

I ended up going with just paint film and a regular sealant than getting coating done. I send my car to the detailer once every 8 months for wash/decon/reseal anyway so I don't regret not buying coating. My interest though is primarily clear coat preservation rather than super hydrophobic properties.

10. NewJerseyMS

NewJerseyMS Member

Do you think that the latter option makes it unnecessary to follow up with a coating? The idea of XPEL and then a coating for look is not easy to come to grips with for me, but I'm trying...

11. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

Opti-Coat has been excellent. Next car will have that or Permanon. Front end (hood, fenders, front clip) will get wrapped.

Hand-washed every 2 weeks with Prima and rinsed with ONR.

12. blc1017

blc1017 Member

I can attest that the CQuartz was still going strong at 3 1/2 years of ownership. Will be using it on my new S.

13. Fresco

Fresco Member

Thanks for the information. I was looking at some of the vendors on this site. Received quote from 1. Waiting on the other 2

• Like x 1