Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommended Portable Compressor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mswlogo

Aug 27, 2018
NH
Initially I was planning on buying the Tesla Compressor / Goo-Injector until I learned from this forum that the Goo-Injector is highly unlikely gonna work with the acoustic treated tires.

I had bought a nice portable compressor for my Jeep, especially where I have 3 trailers and separate Winter Wheels for two vehicles.

Any way I've had plenty of Walmart special compressors that have worked fine for years but they are slow as molasses.
I did a lot of research to find one that would pump fast and not overload the cigarette lighter socket.
This company sells many much larger ones that must be hooked directly to the battery.

This was the largest one that would work safely on the cigarette lighter socket. I've had it a couple years now and just ordered a 2nd one for the Model 3. Check out the 2000 reviews. It is very fast and built really solid.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036E9VB6

Considering how much better this compressor is compared to so many other crappy ones, it's not all that expensive.

I have used it a few times on the Model 3. It will probably add 5 pounds in about 10-20 seconds (depends on tire size). Don't leave it unattended ;) It pulls 14 amps at 40 lbs.

They give a nice chart of pump rates and amp rates. Something most crappy compressors (e.g. Campbell or Black & Decker, Dewalt etc.) won't even list.

I bought this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078LYX5YF/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It works pretty well. Inflates pretty quickly. The digital PSI guage is slightly off by about 2PSI but I can work with it. Does what it needs to do and is small.

I'm not knocking your choice and it probably works fine and better than a lot of them.

But check out how serious this company is on portable compressors (and other types)

Portable Compressors | VIAIR Corporation

versus

AstroAI – AstroAI now offers great products on Amazon: Multimeter, Tire Pressure Gauge, etc.

I have used it a few times on the Model 3. It will probably add 5 pounds in about 10-20 seconds (depends on tire size). Don't leave it unattended ;) It pulls 14 amps at 40 lbs.
Glad that it works for you, but that's actually out of spec. From the Model 3 manual: "The power socket is suitable for accessories requiring up to 12A continuous draw (16A peak)". The compressor from Tesla is rated 12A.

I have the VIAIR 300p although it’s not riding around in the 3. It’s a great compressor I use it mostly to air back up my 33” KO2s on my 200 series after off roading once I get back to the pavement. I’m considering getting on of the smaller VIAIR compressors for the 3. Anyone have one?

Glad that it works for you, but that's actually out of spec. From the Model 3 manual: "The power socket is suitable for accessories requiring up to 12A continuous draw (16A peak)". The compressor from Tesla is rated 12A.

It's made for a standard 15A Cigarette lighter socket which is what is in the Tesla and two prior Vehicles which all worked fine.

Actually now that I think about it, it probably is a PEAK Load they are stating on the pump.

I doubt the 2000 positive reviewers are blowing many fuses and I doubt the Tesla is any less equiped than your average vehicle.

I wouldn't go running it for 30 minutes filling up truck tires.

Reactions: BitJam
I have the VIAIR 300p although it’s not riding around in the 3. It’s a great compressor I use it mostly to air back up my 33” KO2s on my 200 series after off roading once I get back to the pavement. I’m considering getting on of the smaller VIAIR compressors for the 3. Anyone have one?

That's what I started the thread with.

I’m considering getting on of the smaller VIAIR compressors for the 3. Anyone have one?

Just last week, I bought the new, small, sleek one VIAIR makes, the 75P.
00075.jpg

All other VIAIR products draw higher current than Model 3’s published accessory outlet current rating of 12 amp continuous.

The unit is nicely packaged, meant for smaller tires (not truck or SUV), and limited to 50 psi. It is rated 0.83 cfm at 30 psi, which is 20-25% slower than the bigger models drawing 14-17 amps. That would be just fine for occasional or emergency use for Model 3. I wish it had a twist-on brass tire chuck instead of the press-on plastic.

I haven’t actually tried using it yet. I’ll try this weekend and post some feedback if you are interested. Our Model 3 hasn’t been delivered yet, but I can try it on one of our other cars. In general, I like VIAIR products and support.

Reactions: coleAK
It's made for a standard 15A Cigarette lighter socket which is what is in the Tesla and two prior Vehicles which all worked fine.

Actually now that I think about it, it probably is a PEAK Load they are stating on the pump.

I doubt the 2000 positive reviewers are blowing many fuses and I doubt the Tesla is any less equiped than your average vehicle.

I wouldn't go running it for 30 minutes filling up truck tires.

Tesla’s manual clearly states that the continuous draw should be limited to 12amps. The compressor’s specs are published in a table with how much continuous draw it has at various pressures. At 40psi, the compressor draws 15amps continuously.

It might still work fine because responsible manufacturers typically rate things on the conservative side. But the compressor you are using defies the theoretical limits published by Tesla.

Last edited:
Tesla’s manual clearly states that the continuous draw should be limited to 12amps. The compressor’s specs are published in a table with how much continuous draw it has at various pressures. At 40psi, the compressor draws 15amps continuously.

It might still work fine because responsible manufacturers typically rate things on the conservative side. But the compressor you are using defies the theoretical limits published by Tesla.

Where does it say continuously?

It’s a COMPRESSOR with a direct drive motor that can start with a load on it. I’m sure it pulls a lot more current at start.

The cheaper compressors are geared down. So they have lower startup current and are super slow and can pump up to higher pressure.

You can use a wimpy Walmart special compressor on the side of the road in the freezing cold. I’ll take my chances with this one.

I bet it probably pulls under 10 A continuous.

I bet it goes way over 15 A for an instant.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Disagree
Reactions: KG M3
I was referring to the 14A you mentioned in your previous post, assuming you measured this in operation.

I think for something you want to be able to use in roadside emergency situations it's best to be conservative. Better to have a slightly slower compressor than not being able to use it at all because it triggers the electronic fuse. For regular top-ups I have a 120V compressor in my garage which is much faster than the 12V portable models.

Just last week, I bought the new, small, sleek one VIAIR makes, the 75P.
I haven’t actually tried using it yet. I’ll try this weekend and post some feedback if you are interested. Our Model 3 hasn’t been delivered yet, but I can try it on one of our other cars. In general, I like VIAIR products and support.

I finally tried this compressor with our Model 3 with 19" wheels. It worked fine. Here are some details:
  • 12 to 42psi took about 5 minutes.
  • 35 to 42psi took about 50 seconds.
  • The gauge reads anywhere from 1 to 3psi higher than a more trustworthy handheld analog gauge I have. Its 45psi seems to be the real 42psi.
  • I tested it by feeding it a constant 13.8v from my lab DC power supply. Assuming Tesla's 12v outlet does the same, it draws 7.3 amps at 12psi and 8.1 amps at 42psi. Well under the Tesla 12amp continuous limit.
  • The noise wasn't too much to bother me. The thin metal case is good. I think the compressor is mounted in the case with rubber feet to reduce noise and walking. It stayed in place on the garage floor and didn't walk.
  • I'm not too crazy about the plastic press-on chuck. I'd have liked a brass twist-on chuck. I might replace it someday.
Overall, I think this is a good, convenient, compact, well packaged compressor to keep in a Model 3 for emergency road use and for topping off at home. I'd give it a thumbs up.

Reactions: BitJam
I finally tried this compressor with our Model 3 with 19" wheels. It worked fine. Here are some details:
  • 12 to 42psi took about 5 minutes.
  • 35 to 42psi took about 50 seconds.
  • The gauge reads anywhere from 1 to 3psi higher than a more trustworthy handheld analog gauge I have. Its 45psi seems to be the real 42psi.
  • I tested it by feeding it a constant 13.8v from my lab DC power supply. Assuming Tesla's 12v outlet does the same, it draws 7.3 amps at 12psi and 8.1 amps at 42psi. Well under the Tesla 12amp continuous limit.
  • The noise wasn't too much to bother me. The thin metal case is good. I think the compressor is mounted in the case with rubber feet to reduce noise and walking. It stayed in place on the garage floor and didn't walk.
  • I'm not too crazy about the plastic press-on chuck. I'd have liked a brass twist-on chuck. I might replace it someday.
Overall, I think this is a good, convenient, compact, well packaged compressor to keep in a Model 3 for emergency road use and for topping off at home. I'd give it a thumbs up.

I have the same compressor, and my gauge is also pretty crap. Otherwise a good portable compressor, nice and small draw. Thin metal case protects the compressor somewhat too, and keeps the cords wrapped and safe.