Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommended Rims for P85D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently bent the front right rim hitting a rock driving through the canyons and it needs replacement.

Currently have 21" carbon turbines; staggered.

I was told that Tesla charges $2k to replace one rim.

A rep at America's Tire suggested I go with TSW Aileron, which run $400/rim ($2k for an all new set). He said these are lighter and I could expect better handling and mileage (currently get about 360 Wh/mile).

Any suggestions for Tesla, TSW, or anything else?

You'll find opinions all over the place as style is largely subjective. You can bend a wheel of any size with enough force, but smaller wheels will almost universally ride better and be more durable than larger wheels. There are some exceptions, but it's a good rule of thumb.

I think you can get a good ride from 20" wheels while still maintaining relatively sharp handling and good looks. TSportline is a popular vendor. Ohm makes Tesla specific wheels as well. I went with TSW Turbinas in a square 20x9 +35 setup. This is the same size as the stock Model X wheels which could also be an option. I like the TSWs, but if you are doing research, know that they are only a pound lighter than stock 19" wheels. That's still pretty good, and worlds better than stock 21s, but they're a ways off from the 25 pound weight that TSW quotes. They aren't offered in a gunmetal/grey color, only silver and black:

TSW wheels.jpg

There are a lot of other options in the "Show off your aftermarket wheels" thread.

Reactions: EVortex and P85_DA
I tihnk the broad consensus is that 19” is better in all respects that 21” aside from the visual difference, and a busted 21” would be a good occasion to switch to 19”.

Tesla sells the 19” cyclones for $4k for a set of 4. The 19” slipstreams are probably less. I wonder if the new 19” tempest wheels are available separately from Tesla.

@Xenoilphobe has been researching the best tesla carbon and forged wheels for a while and might weigh in with his latest info.

• Helpful
Reactions: All In
I tihnk the broad consensus is that 19” is better in all respects that 21” aside from the visual difference, and a busted 21” would be a good occasion to switch to 19”.

Tesla sells the 19” cyclones for $4k for a set of 4. The 19” slipstreams are probably less. I wonder if the new 19” tempest wheels are available separately from Tesla.

The tires used on 21" (or 20") wheels have shorter sidewalls which can lead to sharper, more responsive handling. They also contribute to a stiffer, less compliant ride. Otherwise, I agree that the 19" is better other than visual appeal. 19s offer better range, more resiliency against damage, a more comfortable ride, and lower tire costs.

I imagine there are some people who buy their wheels directly from Tesla, but I would not. The used market is way, way cheaper. You can often pick up a set of cyclones for under $1k, sometimes with tires and TPMS installed.

Model X 20" slipstreams are also a popular direct fit option that is relatively inexpensive. There's a whole thread on their fitment on the MS.

Reactions: rickyjb
I too have the Arachnids (not unusual to find someone selling then new on Craigslist or ebay or offerup or here for the $2k to $3k or so range, depending on if tires are included) and love them. get compliments all the time, they look like they belong on the car, and forged so strong and much more resistant to bends vs non forged wheels.

Reactions: BrokerDon
I too have the Arachnids (not unusual to find someone selling then new on Craigslist or ebay or offerup or here for the $2k to $3k or so range, depending on if tires are included) and love them. get compliments all the time, they look like they belong on the car, and forged so strong and much more resistant to bends vs non forged wheels.

Great point on Arachnids price. I paid a Tesla referral recipient listing on Craigslist $2,800 a couple of years ago for a set of brand new Arachnids with brand new Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires mounted, balanced & installed at Tesla Service Center included. Killer deal since the tires cost ~ $1,600 mounted, balanced & installed... so the Arachnid wheels themselves were only $1,500 = only $375 each for the super lightweight & strong forged Arachnid wheels.

I recently bent the front right rim hitting a rock driving through the canyons and it needs replacement.

Currently have 21" carbon turbines; staggered.

I was told that Tesla charges $2k to replace one rim.

A rep at America's Tire suggested I go with TSW Aileron, which run $400/rim ($2k for an all new set). He said these are lighter and I could expect better handling and mileage (currently get about 360 Wh/mile).

Any suggestions for Tesla, TSW, or anything else?

There’s a thread here for aftermarket wheels I would go through. For TSW I like the Bathurst.

I got these but they were only $225 each when I got them. I run 20's all the way around for my snow tires.
My summers are on the factory 21 grey turbines.
Also why isn't your insurance covering your rim? When I hit a rock and it popped 2 tires and broke 1 rim USAA was all over it for comprehensive claim. I didn't pay a damn penny to get one of those new $2k rims from Tesla.

https://m.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...wheelModel=F2&wheelFinish=Gloss+Black+Painted

Thanks for all the recommendations! A little background - I live in Southern California and my drive is mostly through the canyons (one of the reasons I went with the P85D (late 2014) was to get the stiffer "+" suspension system).

I think I'm inclined to stay with a higher performing tire, as opposed to an all weather.

It sounds like 19" wheels provide better handling, last longer, provide a smoother ride, and better mileage all around? And, that the main reason for 21" is to fill the wheel well more? Sorry if these are noob questions, but this is new to me.

FYI, my mileage runs about 360 wHr/mile, which seems high to me (but Tesla says that's avg.). Any idea how 19" and/or lighter rims could change that number for the better?

If I stick with the 21", it sounds like the arachnids would be better than the turbines all around.

Would anyone recommend staying with the staggered configuration?

A couple images of my car are attached - I like the carbon grey look; although, I did find a set of silver arachnid rims on craigslist:

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/wto/d/sun-valley-new-tesla-arachnid-21/7225326436.html

These look nice, but would change the aesthetics of the car.

@airborn spoon - thanks for the insurance suggestion; another friend mentioned the same to me this afternoon. We have USAA as well, but they have been absolutely horrific with respect to a recent homeowners claim when we were affected by one of the California wildfires. Your comprehensive claim wasn't subject to a deductible?

Attachments

• IMG_20170905_111002.jpg
    IMG_20170905_111002.jpg
    420.3 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20170817_181815.jpg
    IMG_20170817_181815.jpg
    608.4 KB · Views: 46
Reactions: bhzmark
I bought a set of used Slipstreams from a forum member and he also had installed the T-Sportlines TSS Flow Forged wheels (in grey) on his grey Tesla.
They look great in black as well. About as close as you can get to a factory 19-inch Arachnid wheel.

Which is exactly what I wanted. In a perfect world Tesla would make a 19" Arachnid but since they didn't I went with the Tsportline replica. One of the things I really like about it is that I can still select the black Arachnid wheels in the Tesla wheel options in the menu and all of the visualizations look nearly perfect. They're slightly larger but it's not that noticeable and certainly closer to an accurate representation than if I had silver Slipstreams on the visualizations. So, for me anyway, it's the best of both worlds. If you must get 21's though the Arachnids are a much better choice than the Turbines in terms of weight and strength.

Reactions: bhzmark
Which is exactly what I wanted. In a perfect world Tesla would make a 19" Arachnid but since they didn't I went with the Tsportline replica. One of the things I really like about it is that I can still select the black Arachnid wheels in the Tesla wheel options in the menu and all of the visualizations look nearly perfect. They're slightly larger but it's not that noticeable and certainly closer to an accurate representation than if I had silver Slipstreams on the visualizations. So, for me anyway, it's the best of both worlds. If you must get 21's though the Arachnids are a much better choice than the Turbines in terms of weight and strength.
So is there any issues with selecting a 21” arachnid when you have 19’s? Is the setting purely aesthetic or is there any functional change such as power consumption calcs?