Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommended tire pressure too high

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think there is much to gain in terms of performance between upper 30's to mid 40 PSI. Many sportier cars recommend mid 30's (some even the low 30's) and I'm sure Michelin takes that into account.

I'm started at 42 on my P4S's. I'm down to 40 right now and will experiment down to 38 PSI, which is probably the lowest I would go. I don't really care about range. Just looking for the best combo of ride/comfort and performance for me.

Mine OEM tires got down to 3/32" after 10K. They were rotated exactly once at around 4K miles when I had one patched for a nail. Did a lot of reading here and other forums and came to the conclusion that this is not the norm, even among spirited Model 3 owners. I'd also think there be a rash of people complaining about having to replace their tires after such little mileage if that was the case. I have a 3/2018 build and the door plaque says the original recommendation of 45 PSI, which is where I've kept it to maximize range. I didn't ask about the wear pattern, but now now I wonder if that could have also contributed to how quickly they needed to be replaced. This is a cost of ownership that I didn't figure and wasn't expecting to need new tires yearly.
Meh, mine stock MXM4 started to hit 3/32" by about 10K. That was partially linked to a messed up alignment that had way to much front shotgun toe, which I got fixed around there. However I just kept rotating smart (have a D), ignoring Tesla's pressure to spend $1350 on a replacement set, and I got 20K out of the set. Mind you I have a D, which allows more leeway with the rears.

I don't think there is much to gain in terms of performance between upper 30's to mid 40 PSI. Many sportier cars recommend mid 30's (some even the low 30's) and I'm sure Michelin takes that into account.

I'm started at 42 on my P4S's. I'm down to 40 right now and will experiment down to 38 PSI, which is probably the lowest I would go. I don't really care about range. Just looking for the best combo of ride/comfort and performance for me.
What size rims? If 18", in my experience you don't want even 38. I tried this coming up from the other direction, because my tire shop installed them at 34PSI (!). I saw no benefit in 38 compared to 40, and range got a bit better. I know you "don't care about range" but if nothing else is different seems a decent tie-breaker. Below 38 somewhere they start having a huge turn-in delay, I think the term usually used is feeling "dead". You turn the wheel and there is a noticeable delay before force starts getting applied to the vehicle.

Right now I'm on about 40 PSI cold (depends on the day). It is actually pretty hard to tell efficiency difference between these PS4S and the admittedly worn out MXM4s they are replacing so I'm pretty happy right there. They still have really, really good wet pavement grip at this point, too. 40PSI seems to be the sweet spot, or at least is really close to it.

I'll probably put another few pounds in ahead of any long trips, and when I'm going to use them as rain-day Autocross tires I'll knock them down to 38, but 40 is where I expect them to spend most of their time.

:D:D:D:D
What size rims? If 18", in my experience you don't want even 38. I tried this coming up from the other direction, because my tire shop installed them at 34PSI (!). I saw no benefit in 38 compared to 40, and range got a bit better. I know you "don't care about range" but if nothing else is different seems a decent tie-breaker. Below 38 somewhere they start having a huge turn-in delay, I think the term usually used is feeling "dead". You turn the wheel and there is a noticeable delay before force starts getting applied to the vehicle.

Right now I'm on about 40 PSI cold (depends on the day). It is actually pretty hard to tell efficiency difference between these PS4S and the admittedly worn out MXM4s they are replacing so I'm pretty happy right there. They still have really, really good wet pavement grip at this point, too. 40PSI seems to be the sweet spot, or at least is really close to it.

I'll probably put another few pounds in ahead of any long trips, and when I'm going to use them as rain-day Autocross tires I'll knock them down to 38, but 40 is where I expect them to spend most of their time.
Sammich you’re killing me with your avatar. Every time I see it I get hungry. I love a Cuban Pannini

Meh, mine stock MXM4 started to hit 3/32" by about 10K. That was partially linked to a messed up alignment that had way to much front shotgun toe, which I got fixed around there. However I just kept rotating smart (have a D), ignoring Tesla's pressure to spend $1350 on a replacement set, and I got 20K out of the set. Mind you I have a D, which allows more leeway with the rears.

I took it to the SC for an alignment, but I didn't get the specifics on exactly what they adjusted. The tech just said there was a small adjustment, but to me that means it was at least slightly out of alignment. I got the tires replaced the following week, so I don't know how much longer I could have made the MXM4s last when they were already at 3/32".

I think you replied to the other thread where I said I put on PS4Ss, which I know has a worse treadwear rating than the MXM4s. It's definitely costing me in efficiency due to the higher rolling resistance as you mentioned. I haven't changed anything about my driving habits and I'm considering keeping them at 45PSI, so if I'm able to get at least 10K out of these, then at least I'll be able to conclude that it isn't the way I drive that caused the fast wear. We'll see.

I took it to the SC for an alignment, but I didn't get the specifics on exactly what they adjusted. The tech just said there was a small adjustment, but to me that means it was at least slightly out of alignment. I got the tires replaced the following week, so I don't know how much longer I could have made the MXM4s last when they were already at 3/32".
When you pick it up if you ask them for it they can email you the PDF of the before and after. I don't know if they keep it on file, though.

Mine was out a lot, it was pretty obvious. Well they balked at it but the wear was very uneven, and it moved onto new wheels that were rotated into that corner of the car.
I think you replied to the other thread where I said I put on PS4Ss, which I know has a worse treadwear rating than the MXM4s. It's definitely costing me in efficiency due to the higher rolling resistance as you mentioned.
I'm actually finding it very hard to see the difference just watching casually. Which suggests to me it is probably below 10% difference. Like I said, that I'd worn down the MXM4 pretty bad probably is a bit of a factor in that.

I haven't changed anything about my driving habits and I'm considering keeping them at 45PSI, so if I'm able to get at least 10K out of these, then at least I'll be able to conclude that it isn't the way I drive that caused the fast wear. We'll see.

I believe a key thing that allowed me to get way more miles out of the MXM4 after they'd gone down so far is also saw that middle tread wear and I dropped the pressure to 41PSI, which means you only get warning messages sometimes.

When you pick it up if you ask them for it they can email you the PDF of the before and after. I don't know if they keep it on file, though.

Mine was out a lot, it was pretty obvious. Well they balked at it but the wear was very uneven, and it moved onto new wheels that were rotated into that corner of the car.

I'm actually finding it very hard to see the difference just watching casually. Which suggests to me it is probably below 10% difference. Like I said, that I'd worn down the MXM4 pretty bad probably is a bit of a factor in that.

I believe a key thing that allowed me to get way more miles out of the MXM4 after they'd gone down so far is also saw that middle tread wear and I dropped the pressure to 41PSI, which means you only get warning messages sometimes.

The service report didn't have any of the specs on it about the alignment. I'll e-mail them to see if they have any info stored somewhere else, but it was already a month ago, so I doubt it.

I keep one my tripometers to show lifetime mileage and efficiency. The other one I reset after tire rotations (or in this case, tire replacement). My lifetime efficiency with the MXM4s was right around 250 Wh/mi representing one full year (four seasons) here in San Diego. In 1000 miles of regular driving on the PS4Ss, which seems like a decent sample size, I've been getting 270 Wh/mi. That's with mild weather and not needing much from the HVAC. I know about a year ago I was in the 230 Wh/mi range in the springtime and it wasn't until summer that the Wh/mi increased because of needing the AC much more. My daily commute is very predictable. Starting at 90% SOC, I'd usually get home with about 78-79% remaining. Now, I'm usually around 74-75%. The only thing that has changed that would make a difference is the tires. It's not much, but it's a real decrease in range that could make a difference on a long road trip.

Good discussion & good info from everyone. Thanks for the input!

I know this car is a bit heavier than others this size but I'm used to the recommended pressure being mid-30s on other similar cars so I'm not too concerned about safety in that range. My main thought is to try to help the tires last a bit longer even at the sacrifice of a bit of consumption. I don't use more than 20% of the battery on most days and I have a wall charger in the garage so range is kind of irrelevant. I spent less than $300 in electricity (excluding supercharging on road trips) since I bought the car but I just spent almost $900 in tires in the same amount of time. And I've had snow tires on it since November so those miles aren't included. I have 17k miles on it right now.

It's all about balance and I know I need to "pay to play" since I have a bit of a lead foot but I just think even 42psi is too high and my sample size of one (or two tires) wearing much more in the center supports that. I'm not critical of the ride at all but it is a nice side effect of a softer ride at the lower pressure. I have only driven a little bit around the neighborhood since I lowered the pressure but the handling still feels great. I just came off of snow tires onto sporty tires so that's affecting my perception right now. I'll track the change in kwh/mi and see how dramatic it is over the next few weeks.

Anyone who has owned a heavy, powerful RWD car will tell you that you are lucky to get 12-13k miles out of a set of tires. My 360 hp BMW 550i will consume its 275/30-19 rear tires in about 10k miles, maybe slightly more if I drive slow and in a straight line. And the tires are worn in the center as you describe. Recommended tire pressure is 42 psi.

Gotta pay to play...

I'm getting 40-45k miles out of my tires on my RWD Model S. I rotate the tires every 5-7k miles.

Reactions: ucmndd

19x8.5" with 245/40/19 Michelin PS4S's. Thanks for the intel on the <38 psi. I do like the 40 v. 42 psi, though. We'll see if there are diminishing returns on comfort/performance dropping down to 38... I have a compressor at home so it takes me just a few minutes to play with the pressures.

Anyone who has owned a heavy, powerful RWD car will tell you that you are lucky to get 12-13k miles out of a set of tires. My 360 hp BMW 550i will consume its 275/30-19 rear tires in about 10k miles, maybe slightly more if I drive slow and in a straight line. And the tires are worn in the center as you describe. Recommended tire pressure is 42 psi.

Gotta pay to play...

Or just rotate them.

RWD EVs are particularly hard on the rear tires because they do all of the acceleration and 95% of the braking as well. I get reasonable life out of my RWD Model S tires by rotating frequently, every 5-6k.

Reactions: David99
My model 3 had come (1 year ago) with 45psi
I was not happy with the tire noise at first.
But it got better over time. I think the new tires were more noisy, and got quieter with wear.
Then I dropped PSI to 42 and it is even better.

Reactions: ColoradoMike
I like to slightly overinflate my tires to get less rolling resistance. I drove with 50 instead of the recommended 45 for a while but noticed my tires wear out more in the center which is a sign of too much pressure. It seems 45 is already on the higher side for my car (Model S 85). Of course one also has to consider 45 psi is correct pressure when cold. Driving around here in Los Angeles, it's hot and the streets are extremely hot from the intense sun, so for the most part I'm already driving around at more than 45.