Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Record Snowfall in Ottawa

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Doug_G

Lead Moderator
Global Moderator
Apr 2, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Official record - most snow in one day since records started in 1912.

Almost made it home... three driveways away and bogged down. Snow was deep! Not bad for RWD.

IMG_4932.JPG

I ended up doing the City of Ottawa's job and cleared the street with my snowblower. It's tucked away now.

In the meantime we've had the warmest winter I can remember. The least amount of snow I can remember. Only 2 nights has it dipped below -30. Usually we go at least one week where the temperature doesn't get above -30, even during the day.

Hmmm. They're predicting rain for Thursday. Again.

Last edited:
Don't feel bad Doug. I watched a guy in a jacked up RAM monster truck get stuck on the street in front of my house for an hour until a tractor pulled him out. My Tesla wisely sat in the garage until this morning. The tractor got lots of playtime though - like you I did some city work to rescue a VW that was planted to the door handles on my corner.

it was almost enough to finally convince my wife to move to the islands.

This is a very good plan imo...how do we get our cars down there? :wink:

Don't feel bad Doug. I watched a guy in a jacked up RAM monster truck get stuck on the street in front of my house for an hour until a tractor pulled him out. My Tesla wisely sat in the garage until this morning. The tractor got lots of playtime though - like you I did some city work to rescue a VW that was planted to the door handles on my corner.

it was almost enough to finally convince my wife to move to the islands.

I almost got stuck twice right outside my house too in my RWD with suspension on Very High. It took a bit of reversing and re-trying to get through. I'm sure I would have had no hope without air suspension or without good snow tires. But it was only around 3:00 and as the day went on and more snow fell, there were cars and trucks and vans of all shapes and sizes stuck everywhere.

One interesting thing - I'm not sure if it's by design or just the way the traction control works, but if you step too hard on the accelerator when your wheels can't grip, the car kind of "bounces" about 3x/sec as the wheels alternately turn and stop.

I've plowed through conditions like that with my RWD on Nokian Hakka R2s and actually had the snow roll up on to the hood. To the rear, it just looked like a huge toboggan had passed through! That was two winters ago. Wish I'd taken a picture.

Weather continues to do weird stuff. Current storm does snow, ice pellets, freezing rain, rain, lather rinse repeat.

Just before leaving the office (late) tonight, there's a BANG and a blue flash and the lights go out for a few seconds. We leave the office, turn right, and slam on the brakes!

IMG_4958.JPG

Aha, tree and power line across the road. That would explain a lot...

A quick 911 call and they send a fire truck. I wait and by flashing my high beams rapidly manage to stop an oncoming car before he drives into the mess. That blocks both directions. Ten minutes later the fire truck shows up and takes over.

There were LAKES on the road on the way home. At one point the car started to give the "Service Required - Car May Not Restart" message, because of all the water spraying up at the battery pack. Went away after a few minutes. Stopping was sometimes rather fun. What a mess. Gonna be brutal tomorrow morning.