Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recurrent: Model 3 drivers got 72% of EPA range with new cars, 64% after three years

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is one of the EPA test cycles: they don't "turn off the car" during simulated stops/red lights, and they have no way of separately disabling the A/C, computer draw while "keeping the engine running". The EPA range figure incorporates simulated stop and go traffic.
And they do it right. Tesla doesn't show the right value on the screen. This is why I said that the EPA kWh/100 miles value is the right one to mesure the range of a Tesla, based on this number and the battery capacity.

Last edited:
Hi guys, I'm in Australia and just got the highland model 3 RWD. Im new to the whole Tesla family, I absolutely love it but I am a little concerned over the range. I have the 19 inch nova wheels and fully understand that you will not get full kilometers 513km but I am only getting 399kms on a full charge.

That's 100 km less, can someone tell me if that is normal? That as the full charge when I picked up up at the showroom.I expected roughly 450km's.

My wife got the model y RWD and that expected range is far less than my model 3 highland though when her's is charged it is saying 431km.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Also, hers connected straight away to our wifi and mine will not connect at home as it says there is a firewall issue. Its not our router because hers connects, has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks

Hi guys, I'm in Australia and just got the highland model 3 RWD. Im new to the whole Tesla family, I absolutely love it but I am a little concerned over the range. I have the 19 inch nova wheels and fully understand that you will not get full kilometers 513km but I am only getting 399kms on a full charge.

That's 100 km less, can someone tell me if that is normal? That as the full charge when I picked up up at the showroom.I expected roughly 450km's.

My wife got the model y RWD and that expected range is far less than my model 3 highland though when her's is charged it is saying 431km.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Also, hers connected straight away to our wifi and mine will not connect at home as it says there is a firewall issue. Its not our router because hers connects, has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks
The, in car, displayed range is based upon the USA EPA/(transport Canada) combined City/Hwy range and is approximately correct when driving on level ground at ~100kph. The TC/EPA range of the Canadian M3 Highland RWD is 438km/18in Aero wheels and 399km/19in wheels. The Australian test cycle is the same as the EU WLTP test cycle, which is not as stringent as the EPA test cycle.

In Canada the MY RWD has a displayed (TC/EPA) range of 394km but, IIRC, some Chinese made (MIC) MYs have different LFP battery packs than here.