Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recurrent: Model 3 drivers got 72% of EPA range with new cars, 64% after three years

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is one of the EPA test cycles: they don't "turn off the car" during simulated stops/red lights, and they have no way of separately disabling the A/C, computer draw while "keeping the engine running". The EPA range figure incorporates simulated stop and go traffic.
And they do it right. Tesla doesn't show the right value on the screen. This is why I said that the EPA kWh/100 miles value is the right one to mesure the range of a Tesla, based on this number and the battery capacity.

Last edited:
Hi guys, I'm in Australia and just got the highland model 3 RWD. Im new to the whole Tesla family, I absolutely love it but I am a little concerned over the range. I have the 19 inch nova wheels and fully understand that you will not get full kilometers 513km but I am only getting 399kms on a full charge.

That's 100 km less, can someone tell me if that is normal? That as the full charge when I picked up up at the showroom.I expected roughly 450km's.

My wife got the model y RWD and that expected range is far less than my model 3 highland though when her's is charged it is saying 431km.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Also, hers connected straight away to our wifi and mine will not connect at home as it says there is a firewall issue. Its not our router because hers connects, has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks

Hi guys, I'm in Australia and just got the highland model 3 RWD. Im new to the whole Tesla family, I absolutely love it but I am a little concerned over the range. I have the 19 inch nova wheels and fully understand that you will not get full kilometers 513km but I am only getting 399kms on a full charge.

That's 100 km less, can someone tell me if that is normal? That as the full charge when I picked up up at the showroom.I expected roughly 450km's.

My wife got the model y RWD and that expected range is far less than my model 3 highland though when her's is charged it is saying 431km.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Also, hers connected straight away to our wifi and mine will not connect at home as it says there is a firewall issue. Its not our router because hers connects, has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks
The, in car, displayed range is based upon the USA EPA/(transport Canada) combined City/Hwy range and is approximately correct when driving on level ground at ~100kph. The TC/EPA range of the Canadian M3 Highland RWD is 438km/18in Aero wheels and 399km/19in wheels. The Australian test cycle is the same as the EU WLTP test cycle, which is not as stringent as the EPA test cycle.

In Canada the MY RWD has a displayed (TC/EPA) range of 394km but, IIRC, some Chinese made (MIC) MYs have different LFP battery packs than here.

Reactions: Mercimek
The, in car, displayed range is based upon the USA EPA/(transport Canada) combined City/Hwy range and is approximately correct when driving on level ground at ~100kph. The TC/EPA range of the Canadian M3 Highland RWD is 438km/18in Aero wheels and 399km/19in wheels. The Australian test cycle is the same as the EU WLTP test cycle, which is not as stringent as the EPA test cycle.

In Canada the MY RWD has a displayed (TC/EPA) range of 394km but, IIRC, some Chinese made (MIC) MYs have different LFP battery packs than here.
Thanks mate, greatly appreciate it

@Rocky_H Giving a thumb down doesn't change the reality. And I own a Tesla, I am not a Tesla hater. But I am not a blind cult member either.
As I said it already, the numbers shown by the Tesla during a no-stop trip, are good. The moment you do the stop&go city traffic, the numbers start to be biased.
Stop and go traffic is actually more efficient...

• Disagree
Reactions: voldar
Why are you driving so slow? You trying to play the game where you say that not moving is the least efficient?

EVs for a FACT are more efficient in the city rating more than the highway.
You really didn't understand what I was saying in the first place.
Let me resume it for you : Tesla doesn’t register the power used while idling. It only registers the power used when in motion. This is why Tesla efficiency in city driving is skewed. Because the energy used at a stop light isn’t registered in the UI.
I also said that driving at a steady speed is better than driving in stop and go. Driving at a steady speed of 70 mph (here, not 25 mph) is a lot efficient than driving in a stop and go at 70 mph. Reaching 70 mph needs more energy than keeping the speed at 70 mph and when you brake, you recover only 60-65% of the energy needed to get to 70 mph. So here you have it. Now go test what I said with your Tesla and come back with the results saying the contrary.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
Tesla doesn’t register the power used while idling. It only registers the power used when in motion. This is why Tesla efficiency in city driving is skewed. Because the energy used at a stop light isn’t registered in the UI.
You keep repeating this, and it's just as false every time you say it. This has been known for well over a decade.

Here's where you may be getting it confused. It definitely IS counting all of that energy being consumed while you are sitting still at a stop light. It is still counting that as part of the "driving" energy as long as the car is still in a Drive (or Reverse) gear. If the car is sitting in Park, THAT is when it is not counting the energy toward the driving efficiency counter.

• Disagree
Reactions: gtg465x and voldar
You keep repeating this, and it's just as false every time you say it. This has been known for well over a decade.

Here's where you may be getting it confused. It definitely IS counting all of that energy being consumed while you are sitting still at a stop light.
No, it doesn’t. Go drive your Tesla and then stop it and still in Drive look up the efficiency number. It will not change even if you sit there 30 minutes. You will see the % SOC going down but no efficiency change.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: gtg465x and Rocky_H
No, it doesn’t. Go drive your Tesla and then stop it and still in Drive look up the efficiency number. It will not change even if you sit there 30 minutes. You will see the % SOC going down but no efficiency change.
I HAVE done this plenty of times! Sitting in the driveway with the car in Reverse with the air conditoning running, if it sits there for a while, the watt hours per mile will climb and climb and climb and the number will skyrocket to well over 1,000 wh/mile. It does this! I'm astounded at how you keep doubling down on this wrong statement.

If it's in Park, it doesn't register that. But if it's in Drive or Reverse, it does.

Reactions: gtg465x
I HAVE done this plenty of times! Sitting in the driveway with the car in Reverse with the air conditoning running, if it sits there for a while, the watt hours per mile will climb and climb and climb and the number will skyrocket to well over 1,000 wh/mile. It does this! I'm astounded at how you keep doubling down on this wrong statement.

If it's in Park, it doesn't register that. But if it's in Drive or Reverse, it does.
The number goes up because of the climate usage maybe, not because the car simply sits in D and Hold mode. It’s not my experience anyway. In my Bolt EV I couldn’t sit more than a minute and saw the efficiency go up. In my Tesla, in same conditions, the efficiency stays the same.

Last edited:
The number goes up because of the climate usage maybe, not because the car simply sits in D and Hold mode. It’s not my experience anyway.
But this gets to the root difference of what we are saying. You have been claiming that the car ONLY tracks the energy usage while the car is in motion, but then stops and won't track any of it while it is sitting still, like at stop lights. That's the part that isn't true. it's not based on motion or not. It is based on whether it is in Park or in Drive. If it's in Drive, it is always logging ALL of the energy use into the efficiency counter, regardless of whether the car is moving or not.

Reactions: gtg465x
If it's in Drive, it is always logging ALL of the energy use into the efficiency counter, regardless of whether the car is moving or not.
And I just told you, my car is in D with the Hold enabled, not in P and it doesn't register the energy used in this state. The Hold is only applying the physical brakes on the wheels, it has nothing to do with the parking state.
For those who are able to use caption and chose English language in YouTube, if they don't speak French, here is a video made this year that explains exactly what I am talking about. And I am done discussing on this subject.

Last edited:
I think the whole 72% of EPA range stat is mostly due to battery loss while parked, Sentry, and Cabin Overheat Protection. The EPA range estimate of 272 miles for my 2023 RWD seems right on the money. My overall driving average is right at the EPA estimate, and I have actually driven 259 miles on a single charge in the real world, from 100% down to 3%, and that even included a decent amount of highway miles. However, I usually keep Sentry on when I go places, so even though my driving is often as efficient or more efficient than the EPA estimate, if I do a 20 mile drive that uses 6% and then the car sits in a parking lot for 4 hours with Sentry on and uses another 2%, then obviously my overall range is going to be more like 75% or 80% of the EPA range. But, the user has that option... you can turn on Sentry and Cabin Overheat Protection and pre-cool your car 5-10 minutes so it's nice and cold when you get in on a hot day, or you can just leave all of those nice to have but unnecessary features off and get probably 90-100+% of the EPA range.

then the car sits in a parking lot for 4 hours with Sentry on and uses another 2%, then obviously my overall range is going to be more like 75% or 80%
Sentry mode is indeed using about 1% every 3.5-4 hours. But this doesn't have an impact in reducing the overall range from 100% (not 80%) to 76% unless the car was kept with Sentry mode on for 24 x 4 hours. The 80% is Tesla advise to charge the battery when you don't need the range. If you need the whole range, charging to 100% is not a problem.
As I already said, the article is a FUD and a clickbait.