Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Red coat to brake calipers for 2023 Model Y Long range with 20’’ Induction Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted to get the 2023 Model Y Performance. Due to wrong info on Tesla site and IRA on 55k cap for 7500 rebate during the time I was ordering it, I end up getting Long range but I got the 20’’ Induction Wheels on it. I'm thinking to coat the brake caliper with red color. Please suggest if it's a good idea. I see people some spray paint it and some vinyl wrap. Can you please suggest which one to go with. I checked in a place near by they quoted me $400 here Dallas TX for vinyl wrap it. It sound expensive to me. Not sure what would be a reasonable price for this job? Please share your ideas

Thanks for your suggestion
An alternative idea would be to fit some calliper covers same as I did.
They look great IMO. :)

right side.JPG

Bought mine off Tessories and fitted them this evening, took about an hour for all 4 corners.

With the 20’ inductions they’re subtle but lovely.

IMG_7256.jpeg
IMG_7255.jpeg
IMG_7257.jpeg
IMG_7258.jpeg

Reactions: busterboy
Are the calliper covers safe? I was all for doing this, then I’ve been on YT and there’s loads of comments on the videos saying they’re not safe, can overheat, accumulate dirt and stuff inside them etc.
Like a lot of things in life, it depends. Mostly on how hard and/or often you brake.

If anyone has ever mentioned actually seeing your brakes glow, covers are definitely a no. If the covers are metal they can withstand hotter temps and of course plastics won’t. Probably obvious, but if you go to the track at all, probably don’t want to do covers.

The harder or more often you brake, the less you want interfering with their ability to cool.

edit:even if covers don’t melt right away, they will still suffer “fatigue” from the heat cycles (they will be affected by the heat coming off the brakes after all). When they fail depends, again, on braking situations. They might last longer than the car or fail tomorrow.

So, if you only rely on regen braking… go for it, I guess.

Dirt and stuff isn’t really avoidable, just cleaning the car once in a while should be enough to deal with that (or immediately after if you’ve gone knee deep in mud or standing water with debris or something).

Personally, I’m not a fan of brake covers. I’m debating taking off the ones that came with my MYP. If I had a bit more confidence, I might even go paint the brakes black (don’t really care for red brakes either).

Last edited:
Like a lot of things in life, it depends. Mostly on how hard and/or often you brake.

If anyone has ever mentioned actually seeing your brakes glow, covers are definitely a no. If the covers are metal they can withstand hotter temps and of course plastics won’t. Probably obvious, but if you go to the track at all, probably don’t want to do covers.

The harder or more often you brake, the less you want interfering with their ability to cool.

edit:even if covers don’t melt right away, they will still suffer “fatigue” from the heat cycles (they will be affected by the heat coming off the brakes after all). When they fail depends, again, on braking situations. They might last longer than the car or fail tomorrow.

Dirt and stuff isn’t really avoidable, just cleaning the car once in a while should be enough to deal with that (or immediately after if you’ve gone knee deep in mud or standing water with debris or something).

Personally, I’m not a fan of brake covers. I’m debating taking off the ones that came with my MYP. If I had a bit more confidence, I might even go paint the brakes black (don’t really care for red brakes either).
We use regen like a lot, maybe 80-90% of the time for braking. I don’t know, presume painting the callipers is the safer option just more time consuming I guess.

Reactions: MacO512

For me, I’d be worried about the winter months. I’ve had snow and ice build up inside the rim - and cause the balance to go screwy while driving.
Last thing I want to worry about is snow and slush build up, freeze when parked - and dislodging a brake caliper cover, likely in freezing temperatures.

Lol maybe it's my phone angle but I painted these myself and much happier than putting on caliper covers. I had ordered the covers from abstract ocean but read too many horror stories on caliper covers in general that made me return them and just paint the OEM ones. It just takes one nut or bolt to fail on the caliper cover to cause an accident or mess up your wheels.
20230526_154133.jpg
20230526_154125.jpg