Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Red coat to brake calipers for 2023 Model Y Long range with 20’’ Induction Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some more prep photos over a year ago.
20220605_144242.jpg
20220604_214830.jpg
20220604_214047.jpg

Bizarre enough I changed my 20" Inductions for the 19" Gemini's recently (Comfort and extra mileage) so decided to remove the covers I had fitted and painted the callipers myself.
My first attempt at ever painting callipers and I am certainly no painter but quite pleased with how these turned out.:)
View attachment 947937

View attachment 947939
View attachment 947941
That’s one of the best looking MYs I’ve seen! The colour combo with painted callipers and the boot spoiler look great!

• Love
Reactions: busterboy
Are you guys taking the calipers off, and popping out the pads - then masking? Or just doing the garbage bag trick to mask everything off - then masking the spring clips, bolts, and then painting them when the caliper still mounted?

Same Q.

Found this thread: Painted my MYLR calipers and threw on Uberturbines.

Picked it up last night and got to work. I painted the front and also the rear caliper + rear cover from Tsportline. Its VHT Burnt Copper engine enamel with Spraymax 2k on top…it really pops with the blue. Also put on the stock MYP CF spoiler. Got more to do today!

View attachment 910785View attachment 910786View attachment 910787View attachment 910788View attachment 910789

Got a link to the hub caps? I have inductions as well, but thinking of switching to the geminis. I'm assuming a cushier ride with the geminis?
Hi mate, I bought them via Fleabay but see they are no longer in stock. :confused:

Most definitely a smoother ride and also gain around 12 - 15 miles per full charge which always helps when doing long journeys..

20" Inductions certainly look better (purchased my car new with Inductions) but decided to try the 19" Gemini's and have no regrets.

Another small bonus is tyres are slightly cheaper for the 19" size. ;)
wheel trims.jpg

Reactions: syc1
As the latest MS have calliper covers on the rear (from Tesla), I’m fairly comfortable that they’re a safe technology (even aftermarket ones).
Would need to know what the Tesla covers are made of, metal or a high temp plastic? I can't imagine an inexpensive plastic caliper cover is ok - brake fluid is rated for around 400-500 degrees and the pads/rotors get even hotter.

Not to say a cheap plastic cover is always going to melt. With regen it might be fine for years. But then get into a big downhill fully loaded with lots of turns for a spirited driver and they might suddenly melt.

Reactions: hyp36rmax
Not to say a cheap plastic cover is always going to melt. With regen it might be fine for years. But then get into a big downhill fully loaded with lots of turns for a spirited driver and they might suddenly melt.
I find this ammusing, die hard regen brake folks have no argument here as to why you would need to use the physical brakes. I usually tell them they won't have enough road to slow down a 4400lbs car with the quick acceleration on a windy road using regen alone. :D gets em everytime.