Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Red x on camera icon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably something is wrong and it is not recording, like corrupt media. Take out the media and make sure it is formatted correctly and can pass disk integrity using your computer or other external device. Make sure and long-press the camera to stop the functions before removing the external media. In fact, try to turn on the media before removing it by long pressing the icon.

Reactions: Fastcar
Can also just be a bug with the car. I've had it happen a few times and a quick unplug/plug back in of the USB drive fixes it.
This happens to my car every time my car has a software update like clockwork. I get an update and I get the red x ever time. Then I open the glovebox and unplug the usb for a second and plug it back in and the red x goes away.

After update there is red X on Dashcam. Sentry Mode is showing information on the Desktop that there are reports, but I cannot press on it or there are no reported videos. I have no USB port in Glovebox, and there is no anywhere else any USB drive that kind of would saving sentry mode videos. I am wondering then how it is working?? I have not put any drives anywhere and it seems that the previous owner also has not put any drive in. Rebooted the car, but still nothing changed :( Tesla Model 3, September 2020. Any ideas what to do more?

After update there is red X on Dashcam. Sentry Mode is showing information on the Desktop that there are reports, but I cannot press on it or there are no reported videos. I have no USB port in Glovebox, and there is no anywhere else any USB drive that kind of would saving sentry mode videos. I am wondering then how it is working?? I have not put any drives anywhere and it seems that the previous owner also has not put any drive in. Rebooted the car, but still nothing changed :( Tesla Model 3, September 2020. Any ideas what to do more?
Maybe plug in a USB drive?

To turn Dashcam off, navigate to Controls > Safety > Dashcam > Off. If set to Auto, Manual, or On Honk, Dashcam automatically enables every time you drive.
That is the issue - it stopped working after an update. Nothing helps - not turning it off, then again ON. There is only notification - “Dashcam unavailable. Onsert USB drive”. I have no USB port at all in the car - I have 2 C type in the back (for passengers and in the ceilings) and one in the central console “the big round charger “for smokers”. The only possibility is to put inside the standard car charger with USB port and then put in the USB drive. I will try this, but still strange that everything was working and suddenly stopped

That is the issue - it stopped working after an update. Nothing helps - not turning it off, then again ON. There is only notification - “Dashcam unavailable. Onsert USB drive”. I have no USB port at all in the car - I have 2 C type in the back (for passengers and in the ceilings) and one in the central console “the big round charger “for smokers”. The only possibility is to put inside the standard car charger with USB port and then put in the USB drive. I will try this, but still strange that everything was working and suddenly stopped
And now it even started to record EVERY move around car - if I park it on the street, seems that it records every car who passes close. When I get it the car after 20min I have at least 10 reports 😳 Which are not possible to press on. Quite annoying 🤔

You should have 2 more USB-C ports in front console on Model 3, where you insert drive for sentry to record. Check your user manual in car. In Nov. 2021 they moved sentry port into glovebox. Also, this is Model S forum.

IMG_0060.jpeg

I have a 2020 Model Y. For 3 years and 8 months I have used a 500GB SSD drive that has worked perfectly...until this month (March 2024). When the SSD drive gets full, I get an x in the red circle. I unplug it, take in in the house and format and I manually replace the file TeslaCam. I've done this several times for over 3 1/2 years with no problems, that is, until now. I can find nothing wrong with the SSD drive. I works on my computer and will work for about 2 to 3 hours on my Model Y. I've tried a new Sandisk Endurance 128GB drive, and it has the exact same problem. I've tried formatting from my computer and from the car. It doesn't matter. The x will go away, only to return when I go somewhere in the car. I've tried every possible fix and well, I'm done. I call it the X of doom. It will not go away without a soft reboot of the car, only to return. I literally dread getting in my car. I bought a DashCam for safety sake.

I've come to the conclusion that this is a software issue and I will patiently wait for an update that will fix this issue, because I've never had a problem with the DashCam until now.

Last edited:
I have a 2020 Model Y. For 3 years and 8 months I have used a 500GB SSD drive that has worked perfectly...until this month (March 2024). When the SSD drive gets full, I get an x in the red circle. I unplug it, take in in the house and format and I manually replace the file TeslaCam. I've done this several times for over 3 1/2 years with no problems, that is, until now. I can find nothing wrong with the SSD drive. I works on my computer and will work for about 2 to 3 hours on my Model Y. I've tried a new Sandisk Endurance 128GB drive, and it has the exact same problem. I've tried formatting from my computer and from the car. It doesn't matter. The x will go away, only to return when I go somewhere in the car. I've tried every possible fix and well, I'm done. I call it the X of doom. It will not go away without a soft reboot of the car, only to return. I literally dread getting in my car. I bought a DashCam for safety sake.

I've come to the conclusion that this is a software issue and I will patiently wait for an update that will fix this issue, because I've never had a problem with the DashCam until now.
Likely is firmware issue. Have you tried simply unplugging and then plugging SSD back in? This always resets my Red X, and I realized that reformatting was unnecessary.

My 2020 model 3 has the same issue. I find that if the car wakes up by your phone app connecting to the car, then everything works fine. If I just walk up to the car and open the doors, then the USB connections usually don't work. It also affects my USB music connection. I didn't have to unplug nor reformat anything. Doing them also didn't improve anything.