Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Redding/Shasta County, CA Model 3 Test Drive?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi!

I am almost ready to place my order for the Model 3 but I have never bought a car without sitting in it first. The nearest test rides available are in Rocklin, CA 160 miles south of Redding. I am anxious driving in areas I don't know, especially busy freeways, so that would be a very tough trip for me unfortunately. That is the main reason I want the Model 3, the great navigation system and autopilot should make that type of driving much safer and less stressful.

I am hoping there is someone in the area here (Redding, CA) that could show me the car. If you are local and can help, or have suggestions, please let me know!

Thank you.

Just place the dang order! There were thousands of us that picked up cars months before test drives became available.

DON'T expect the car to drive itself today. Today it has the same features as my 2018 Leaf, which is half the price. Today it only supports adaptive cruise control and staying in-between the lanes. Next month, well, is next month and can bring new features.
My wife did used to get a little stressed in stop and go traffic, but either the Leaf or Model 3 has tended to make that a lot easier. The adaptive cruise control is one of the things that seems to work just about 100%. Lane guidance is nice, but not at 100% yet.

Don't expect that driving with the automation enabled is easy when you first get into the car. It can take weeks for you to trust the car to do some of the driving, and you have to understand where it can't drive.

Maybe you ought to take the trip to Rocklin, see how much gas is needed. See what your stress levels are. Then order the car and do the same trip with the Model 3!

Make sure that you take care of what you are ordering, the RWD Extended battery is available quickly, maybe even end of month. The AWD is going to take a few months and may arrive by end of year. The standard battery is not available at this time.

I am only 5′ 2″ and in my experience most cars do not fit me. I can't see over the dash! That probably won't be an issue since the Model 3 has no central instrument cluster and has a low windshield, but I don't know if the seat and steering wheel will adjust comfortably for my size and if it's easy to reach all the touchscreen controls.

I don't expect autopilot to drive for me. I do think driving with it will be considerably safer than my 2003 Accord!

A Rocklin trip is 6 hours of driving and my current car is 15 years old! I don't have recent experience with long drives and am not confident taking that trip alone. I don't even have a navigation system.

The RWD Extended battery is actual my preference!

Thank you for your input ewoodrick.

-Margie