TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Reduced fire risk batteries

Discussion in 'Battery Discussion' started by Nik, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Nik

Nik Dreaming no more :-(

A section on the BBC's 'Material World' today about a new process for making Li-Ion batteries such that the risk of thermal runaway is reduced. Apparently the electrodes are continuously extruded, which may reduce production costs too.

It's a BBC poscast, which means it's available indefinitely, and (I think) worldwide. Look for the 2011-09-01 episode at http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/material, the item is the second they cover, about 7 minutes in.

[I was interrupted by a phone call whilst listening to this in the car, so Imay have missed a salient detail somewhere...]

2. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

interesting. It seems that switching to a conducting polymer film makes the batteries less susceptible to thermal runaway and easier to manufacture. No details on power and energy capacities, but their technology is available under licence.

3. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific