Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Risks to Tesla business

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
---------------------------------------
Developments in alternative technologies or improvements in the internal combustion engine may materially adversely affect the demand for our electric vehicles.
-- I believe Tesla possess (and are growing) the best technology, but that won't stop Toyota from flooding the market with fuel cells.
-- Tesla needs to far exceed, not meet, the performance and cost of anything that Toyota or GM can vomit up from its factories.
-- I don't trust the consumer (at-large) to make a rational choice... Tesla must be the best --- by far. The major auto makers can place a large-breasted woman on a car and sell it all day; Tesla doesn't play by those rules.

39. We are highly dependent on the services of Elon Musk, our Chief Executive Officer.
-- Musk is at Tesla two or three days a week now.
-- As SpaceX (God be with Her) ramps up, it's difficult for me to imagine him spending less time at SpaceX.
-- Entrepreneurs are doers and dreamers --- I wonder at what point, Musk - a gifted dreamer and doer - will allow his dreams to wander from Tesla.

Elon has seemingly committed to being the CEO of Tesla until the launch of Gen III. It also appears to me that JB Straubel is showing up with him much more. I think JB will be the CEO post Gen III launch. I also don't think there will be any concern when that happens and we'll see more of JB as time goes on. JB is part of the founding team at Tesla. He is also bold. While the team had decided that they were going to try to make the analog controller work with the electric motor he assigned an engineer to work on test equipment for the motors and batteries. This test equipment was to use digital controls which JB fully intended on translating to the actual production car once the rest of the team realized the analog controls would not work. He also argued for the need for liquid cooling in the battery pack. These things are huge parts of Tesla's technology advantage. Can he be a CEO? I think so, and I think it is even more important to make someone like him CEO since he was there in the beginning and is fully committed to Tesla's mission.

Anyway here is an article from 2008 that is worth reading:
Innovator Under 35: JB Straubel, 32 - MIT Technology Review

Hi Auzie, I've been working on a thorough risk factor list.

I noticed you'd started the "Are we biased..." thread based on your concern not to allow your vision to be clouded based on what you described as attachment to the stock. We all know in life nothing is a "sure thing" and companies do go out of business. I'm not sure if you've had this question, but your question made me realize I've sort of had a minor discomfort that I don't know of any single Tesla business risk that could divert it from success over the next 10-15 years. I don't think my vision has been clouded, but is it a red flag I can't come up with such a Tesla melt down risk factor?

I've spent the past day or so compiling my risk factor list... and, still, though there are risk factors that could slow down Tesla's progress, and/or result in a lesser mature Tesla, still, to my mind there's not a single Tesla business risk factor could take out Tesla altogether.

As I see it, only an unlucky collection of these risk factors in combination could rock the core of Tesla. Two of the risk factors I think could serve as "anchors" to such a collection (Elon dying or severely incapacitated, or a natural disaster hitting Fremont very hard). From those "anchors" you can add in a few of the otherwise survivable risk factors and generate a "doomsday" scenario. Fortunately, as I'm sure you are aware, stringing together independent events you multiply the probability of them, so a "doomsday" set is very, very improbable. Then again, not all these events are independent of each other, so they are somewhat more probable than just multiplying their individual probability. Alas, sitting at his IKEA desk at the Fremont factory, Elon could succumb to a massive earthquake that damages the plant to the point of it being shut down for a year or more. Panasonic has either not signed on yet for the GF, or has an out option on further involvement, and they bail on the GF and it turns out Elon's successorship plan led to an ineffective CEO overwhelmed by all this adversity... (as you'll see in the list below, some of these risks can and may already be mitigated).

the only other caveat, I'll just say to be thorough... a global risk event could occur rather than what one would think of as a Tesla specific risk factor, i.e. World War III,...

Okay, putting that aside, my risk factor list is below. They may mean delays, they mean a lesser ultimate Tesla, but I don't see any of them meaning significant 5-10 year market underperformance compared to say the S&P 500.

I've not ranked these risk factors in any order,

Gen III Value to Consumer
I think the car can withstand a higher price and sell out Fremont production, but I think it's critical that it be very compelling- for a large percent of people the car they'd definitely pick in that price range. something less could sell out production but would lose momentum in the public's receptivity to EVs and diminish Tesla's brand and good will with the public. Fortunately Elon sounds very confident on this, and obviously they nailed the Model S... very encouraging indicators, but we'll see it when we see it.

Supplier issue in their last annual report Tesla said they have a single source supplier for the vast majority of items relying on a supplier. obvious vulnerability to quality issues or delays.

Lawsuit
I see particular concern given Tesla's taking the lead with technologies. It's exciting to think that self-driving cars and a Tesla app store with independent developers offering you nifty new capabilities may be around the corner... but look how people reacted to the fires. Elon himself has said self-driving cars have to be an order of magnitude safer than a driver because of the scrutiny it will face, and while I'm not a tech guy, I suspect if the car is open to apps, it could be open to unauthorized mischief. Add in all the other items any automaker might face a lawsuit on.

Elon's Mission
this is not a value judgement about Elon having a mission for Tesla distinct from maximizing shareholder value, but the fact is it is a risk factor to the company's future valuation. the "open source" announcement is well received, but clearly Elon is an independent thinker completely open to unconventional choices. We've all benefitted from this, but there might be a bold move that is not as well received as the patent move.

Product Recall

Unknown we don't know about
As Donald Rumsfeld put it, "...there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know."

Raw Material Costs this risk increases with Tesla expanding it's involvement in the battery business. of course, if the price of oil goes up Tesla benefits.

Relationship with Panasonic there's the issue of their signing on to the Gigafactory, but unless other cell manufacturers take a big leap forward Panasonic will continue to be an external variable in Tesla's fortunes for many years to come.

Long Term Vehicle Production Scale Up
​ let's say Tesla ramps up to 100K model S/X in 2016. Growing 5X to 500K total production is a very large task. they want to maintain their highly regarded level of quality while they hire/train a large number of workers, and dramatically scale up their distribution system, supply chain, and cash flow/inventory management needs. This may be why they talk about Gen III starting late 2016, but 500K volumes in 2020... taking their time to avoid stumbles with the ramp.

International Expansion
I think they can manage what they've already got on their plate, but more markets may be tempting (Brazil, Russia, Korea...). More than anything I think it could tap management time dealing with national regulations, setting up service and SuperChargers, and increase the risk of adverse events if they continue stretching around the globe.

Elon
plently of fruits and vegetables and no more smashing up McLarens

Successorship Plan
Hopefully there's a good one in place if Elon decides to go on to SpaceX or something happens to him. Fortunately, he's recently said that whether he steps down as CEO or not he will be involved with Tesla as long as he is around. there is the precedent at Solar City of him serving as Chairman.

Natural Disaster Earthquake insurance would be nice. that would offer some financial protection, but there's no insurance against lost time if the plant were actually to be severely damaged.

Model X expectation are now very high. Elon sounds confident, and I do think they will turn out a very good product. Nonetheless, if the product is less than excellent, or even if it is excellent but has some clear flaw for critics to seize on I think we are likely to see a fair amount of "Tesla stumbles" articles. just look at the continuation of silly "Tesla beater" articles we get on the i3, i8, and this week some Audi diesel. bet Elon is pushing for a 100/100 from Consumer Reports.

Gigafactory the factory is planned to have cell production larger than all current production around the planet combined. big project, could have delays. Elon's already talked about the stakes of getting the GF and Fremont Gen III production capacity ramp up in sync (though I think he said this while trying to clarify why it's worth braking ground at more than one site for the gigafactory, and, thus, may have overstated the negative consequences of a delay for affect).

Elon has seemingly committed to being the CEO of Tesla until the launch of Gen III. It also appears to me that JB Straubel is showing up with him much more. I think JB will be the CEO post Gen III launch. I also don't think there will be any concern when that happens and we'll see more of JB as time goes on. JB is part of the founding team at Tesla. He is also bold. While the team had decided that they were going to try to make the analog controller work with the electric motor he assigned an engineer to work on test equipment for the motors and batteries. This test equipment was to use digital controls which JB fully intended on translating to the actual production car once the rest of the team realized the analog controls would not work. He also argued for the need for liquid cooling in the battery pack. These things are huge parts of Tesla's technology advantage. Can he be a CEO? I think so, and I think it is even more important to make someone like him CEO since he was there in the beginning and is fully committed to Tesla's mission.

I am just not sure about the Tesla CEO business. Not even sure about Elon.

Tesla is moving into different territory, which requires some very new and different skills to what the business needed by now.

Elon or JB are likely capable of growing into the different role, but I wonder would people like Elon and JB really want a job that is ahead, of steering giant oversized Tesla and dealing with stuff that large organization CEO has to deal with?
The change is akin to expecting someone who is great at and enjoys driving speed boats to suddenly switch to steering Titanic, and to enjoy doing it. Steering Titanic Tesla requires different personality.

I am just not sure about the Tesla CEO business. Not even sure about Elon.

Tesla is moving into different territory, which requires some very new and different skills to what the business needed by now.

Elon or JB are likely capable of growing into the different role, but I wonder would people like Elon and JB really want a job that is ahead, of steering giant oversized Tesla and dealing with stuff that large organization CEO has to deal with?
The change is akin to expecting someone who is great at and enjoys driving speed boats to suddenly switch to steering Titanic, and to enjoy doing it. Steering Titanic Tesla requires different personality.

Elon is a relatively young man. He will be a substantively different person in five years. His experience leading Tesla and SpaceX will make him uniquely qualified to run the world's largest corporation.

1. I noticed you'd started the "Are we biased..." thread based on your concern not to allow your vision to be clouded based on what you described as attachment to the stock.

2. there's not a single Tesla business risk factor could take out Tesla altogether. As I see it, only an unlucky collection of these risk factors in combination could rock the core of Tesla. a global risk event could occur rather than what one would think of as a Tesla specific risk factor, i.e. World War III,...

3. Supplier issue in their last annual report Tesla said they have a single source supplier for the vast majority of items relying on a supplier. obvious vulnerability to quality issues or delays.

4. Elon's Mission
this is not a value judgement about Elon having a mission for Tesla distinct from maximizing shareholder value, but the fact is it is a risk factor to the company's future valuation. the "open source" announcement is well received, but clearly Elon is an independent thinker completely open to unconventional choices. We've all benefitted from this, but there might be a bold move that is not as well received as the patent move.

5. Product Recall

6. Unknown we don't know about
As Donald Rumsfeld put it, "...there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know."

1. I think all posters here and Tesla longs are biased, some more some less. I am pretty sure I am biased and attached to this stock more than to my other investments. I doubt it is possible to have substantial stakes without introducing bias. The only way to stay bias free is to have no stakes.

2. Agree, Tesla is grown sufficiently strong and resilient to withstand single blows, but a combination of blows at unfortunate time could do some damage. I find WW3 unlikely, but a global recession will happen again. I am keen to protect my portfolio as much as I can when that happens.

3. This is a threat as Tesla has little control over supplier problems. Difficult to quantify.

4. I just wonder at what point will Elon become fed up with being Tesla CEO. There is still some thrill in pursuing the ev dream. At some point the mundane aspects of running increasingly larger business might become too unappealing. Too many competing demands to juggle, too many conflicting forces to balance, too many entitled unhappy employees to deal with, argh, almost like being a President of a Nation...

5. Serious threat, but unlikely with Elon as CEO

6. I would be surprised if surprise derailment forces fail to materialize. There could also be some surprise winds into the sails

Last edited:
My mind has finally settled on what I see as the biggest risk to Tesla business.

Market downturn, when it happens, will affect car sales in a significant way. Independently of drop in demand, negative market sentiment during downturn is likely to drive TSLA down significantly.

For investors, protection against the downturn is to be diversified, to watch economic indicators and get out of the market before the drop.

For Tesla, protection may involve geographic diversification. That is well under way.

Next US elections may have influence on the potential downturn or improved recovery.

For investors, protection against the downturn is to be diversified, to watch economic indicators and get out of the market before the drop.

Getting out before the market drops on an economic downturn is extremely difficult to do. Once people realize the economy is in a downturn, the market has already dropped 25%+. What do you do then? If you're in a taxable account and you sell your shares then you pay taxes, and then you need to try to time the market to get in at a more attractive price which might be more difficult than it appears.

I'd say for most TSLA investors, the best thing to do is to keep close tabs on the company's health and future prospects. If anything happens to serious damage one's belief in Tesla's long-term growth story, then it could be time to start selling some or all your position.

Actually, protection from a market down turn is to make an affordable vehicle ("Model III"). When people can't afford to put fuel in their tanks they'll be looking to sell their gas guzzlers and replace them with Teslas for the fuel savings. (Doesn't work with the S because it's just too expensive, but for Gen III or future it certainly could, a Gen III is cheap enough that it will actually completely cover it's purchase price in fuel savings over a reasonable time period)