Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reduced price Autopilot & FSD for existing owners announced March 1st

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is what my page shows AND I ALREADY HAVE ENHANCED AUTO-pilot!!
Lmao

Tesla, I love my car but you EXHAUST me!!!!!!
IMG_0637.PNG

Not sure if it’s been already mentioned. What happens to those of us that have enhanced AP? If we choose not to pay for FSD....are we going to lose those features that are now part of FSD? Looks like TACC and auto steer are part of the new “autopilot” But what about summon, auto lane change and auto park....which was part of Enhanced AP but are now part of FSD. I wouldn’t mind loosing nav on autopilot...as that seems more of FSD feature. But I would be upset if I lost summon and auto park.

Last edited:
You don’t lose anything.

You just may not get any new drive-related features, only updates.

Not sure if it’s been already mentioned. What happens to those of us that have EAP? If we choose not to pay for FSD....are we going to lose those features that are now part of FSD? Looks like TACC and auto steer are part of the new “autopilot” But what about summon, auto lane change and auto park....which was part of EAP but are now part of FSD. I wouldn’t mind loosing nav on autopilot...as that seems more of FSD feature. But I would be upset if I lost summon and auto park.

Reactions: StealthP3D
Is that because I bought if AFTER delivery?.. or just that someone never added it to my account?- the problem is then that if I ever did want to pay for the FSD, it's showing $7000 or something ridiculous.

If I understand correctly, it should only be $2k??

I added Enhanced AP at the end of the free trial. It does show in my web page account under Manage / View Details. It also shows only one option for an Upgrade and that is to FSD for $3,000. I think the $2000 price may not show until next month. No hurry, since FSD is not yet available.

You may need to contact Tesla to have them reflect the Enhanced AP on your web account. Then your software upgrade prices should change accordingly.

Did you purchase EAP before or after delivery? Does EAP show under options in vehicle details?

I bought eap before delivery. Earlier this morning my autopilot upgrades said non available. But now it shows this.

View attachment 382218

Thanks for trying to help. I bought EAP after delivery, and it looks like it just never got added officially to my account. I have sent a contact page message to them... hopefully there are still employees who answer those emails.. :(

I added Enhanced AP at the end of the free trial. It does show in my web page account under Manage / View Details. It also shows only one option for an Upgrade and that is to FSD for $3,000. I think the $2000 price may not show until next month. No hurry, since FSD is not yet available.

You may need to contact Tesla to have them reflect the Enhanced AP on your web account. Then your software upgrade prices should change accordingly.

Thanks so much. I appreciate my TMC friends!!

Not sure if it’s been already mentioned. What happens to those of us that have enhanced AP? If we choose not to pay for FSD....are we going to lose those features that are now part of FSD? Looks like TACC and auto steer are part of the new “autopilot” But what about summon, auto lane change and auto park....which was part of Enhanced AP but are now part of FSD. I wouldn’t mind loosing nav on autopilot...as that seems more of FSD feature. But I would be upset if I lost summon and auto park.
What has been said is that you'll get all the features previously listed under EAP: navigate, enhanced summon, autopark.

I'm a bit lost on what current EAP owners get and don't get. If we took delivery of our cars last year and had EAP, I still assumed we are getting advanced summons, autopark and navigate on autopilot.

Are they taking away what we already have? I am fine with not getting "Recognize and respond to traffic lights and stop signs" and "Automatic driving on city streets" but you can't take away what we have.

We were promised the summons upgrade, you can't now charge us $3k for that??

I'm a bit lost on what current EAP owners get and don't get. If we took delivery of our cars last year and had EAP, I still assumed we are getting advanced summons, autopark and navigate on autopilot.

Are they taking away what we already have? I am fine with not getting "Recognize and respond to traffic lights and stop signs" and "Automatic driving on city streets" but you can't take away what we have.

They are not taking away what you have. You just won't get "Recognize and respond to traffic lights and stop signs" and "Automatic driving on city streets"

They are not taking away what you have. You just won't get "Recognize and respond to traffic lights and stop signs" and "Automatic driving on city streets"

Of course if you want those two extra perks, you can buy FSD for $2k more-- well yesterday it was $3k more... heck, wait a day cuz tomorrow it might be only $1k more-- perhaps free.. OR maybe they will pay YOU to add it!.. sorry, I need a drink..

My understanding from reading several threads here (that include some quotes from tesla) is that those of us who purchased EAP keep all the features we currently have (the ones you mentioned). The new "Full self driving" features require FSD. One of those new features is being able to stop at stop signs and lights.

Those of us who Purchased Enhanced autopilot prior to this announcement (for either 5k with car or 5500 afterwards) will be able to buy the FSD upgrade for $2,000 (2k). It still says 3k in most of our accounts, but it will change "in the coming days".

Those that already purchased EAP +FSD are going to get access to the early access program.

(I am sure the thinking there is, "people who purchased these with the car are fans, and we are not giving them money back, so lets give them something we can activate for free that still lets them feel special / enjoy features before others.")

What is NOT clear (and I believe is likely to become clear and cause much gnashing of teeth from some) is what EXACTLY happens for those who bought before this announcement and did not purchase EAP. The announcement sounds like for those people they can purchase the new Autopilot (AP) 2k or Full self driving for 5k. I suspect what was ACTUALLY ment was, "you can purchase AP for 2k and ADD ON full self driving for 5k (for a total of 7k). That would mean that anyone who purchased before the announcement would be paying the same price.

Of course, it would also mean that those who are purchasing NOW get a lower price both for the car, and for those features. It would upset a bunch of people who purchased, but tesla has a vested interest in getting people to pony up for AP / FSD especially for new cars. These are high margin add ons, since the hardware will be in all new cars anyway, and the cost to develop this software is already budgeted for. They just need more people to pay for those development costs for the features.

So, I GET why they might let people who didnt spring for it before pay less... because these people already didnt pay for it, and tesla is probably thinking "lets try to get some money from them, its better than nothing".

They are "literally" (loved the quote from someone that elon says that all the time), making it up as they go, and seem to be trying to do something for previous purchasers (of which they owe NOTHING to other than the features they paid for).

I said it in another thread, and I wont repeat that full rant, but I still am not sure why people are acting like tesla took their first born child by reducing pricing, especially when every single car manufacturer does this every... single.... month. They just call them "rebates", and because no one has any real idea what their neighbor got their car for (spare me the true car talk), its not transparent. Because everyone who buys a tesla on the same day gets the same price, this is transparent. Apparently, many people do not like transparency. Ill stop here since I said I wasnt going to repeat my rant.

I will likely pay 2k for FSD when its available in my account (shows 3k now). I suspect that means I wont get the hardware update until this time next year, which is ok. I am not super concerned with the extra depreciation, because that only really matters when you sell your car, and I did not buy the car to worry about when I am going to sell it. Whenever that is, is when it is, and whatever the car is worth then, is what its worth.

Its likely that in 5-6 years, the worth of one tesla over another is going to be tied to whether it has X hardware version in addition to X batteries and motor. I doubt that in 5-6 years, the value of my car before and after this pricing change is going to change that significantly based on this singular event. Its much more likely to be influenced by whether Tesla still exists, and if so, in what state, and with what competition from a other available vehicles.

There are a lot of reasonable people here on these boards, with good arguments for and against things... but there are also an ASTONISHINGLY large amount of people who seem extremely "entitled". Its somewhat shocking to me how many want to grab a pitchfork, and demand refunds for stuff they already paid for, because someone else got it cheaper (even though as I said this happens with all car manufacturers every single month).

The only people who have a real complaint are the people who ordered but havent taken delivery yet. There are lots of things tesla does poorly, but they seem to really try to "do right" by their customers within reason, yet they get blasted for it no matter what. At some point (likely soon) they will just say "@#Q#Q it, no one is going to be happy no matter what we try to do, so screw them all and stop caring about it". The fact they are trying to work out something for previous purchasers says they are not there yet, but I am betting they get there soon (probably after this change), since any answer other than "free" is not going to satisfy some.

(EDIT -- reading the tesla blog again, its pretty clear that they are offering FSD for 5k total so I need to retract that part of my statement. I am not much into editing things I wrote for content after I post them so consider this edit the retraction of that part)

Last edited:
There is no way to look at this and think it’s fair to people with EAP.

Two people buy the exact same car in 2018. They are both told, if you buy this beta EAP software now for $5k it will be cheaper than if you wait until later. One of them goes for it. Just a few months later, they say the one who bought nothing before can have EAP + FSD including hardware now for $5k. The one who already spent $5k before to be an early adopter of this beta software based on Tesla’s statement that it’s a better deal that way must now pay an additional $2k (so total $7k) to get EAP + FSD including hardware.

That’s completely misguided. Slap in the face to the customer who based on what Tesla said opted for the supposedly better deal of being an early adopter.