Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reduced price Autopilot & FSD for existing owners announced March 1st

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I had 4 referrals and earned "Priority Software Access" but also had FSD which now adds "Early Access Program." How does this work? Is that "Priority Software Access" worthless now? I know Early Access Program is different so I guess I'd get the new test features under NDA and then the final release sooner? Thoughts?

(I know this sounds trivial with all the pricing stuff happening but honestly, getting the latest features is more important to me than arguing over $1,000.)

From my understanding, early access program will likely get releases before PSA (so feedback and testing from EAP users can be actioned and further tested), and PSA will get releases at the beginning of the rollouts after things look good, before the peasants get the rollout once it goes wide.

Reactions: TT97
From my understanding, early access program will likely get releases before PSA (so feedback and testing from EAP users can be actioned and further tested), and PSA will get releases at the beginning of the rollouts after things look good, before the peasants get the rollout once it goes wide.

That's the way I'm interpreting it. Sounds good to me. It also seems like PSA won't be under NDA, so it could be used for YouTube and the like.

You know, I keep reading all these "Tesla ripped me off, yada, yada, yada" posts and I'm really trying hard to resist the "entitlement" argument. You saw the price AT THE TIME and you paid it. But, now you, think you're entitled to a refund or some special treatment? I don't know about anyone else, but when I buy something for X price, I'm not going to bitch about it later if it's cheaper. Anyone that's actually been in any kind of trading situation should know, the price is the price. That's not the price tomorrow or yesterday, that's the price you AGREED TO when you bought. Grow up!

This:

Thought the wording was that the price of the item would be higher if purchased at a later date?

Agree with this:
The FSD post-delivery price has (at least until now) always been higher. Late last year, Tesla updated their web site to state that future pricing is subject to change. Most of us ordered before Tesla updated their web site with this disclaimer. Even so, like many, I thought that Tesla added this disclaimer to give them the flexibility to increase FSD pricing. After all, starting July 1, Tesla increased the post-delivery FSD price from $4K to $5K.

Be aware that the vast majority of “Early Access Program” members do not receive software updates earlier than anyone else. Think of it as a special pool of testers that Tesla draws from whenever they want to test something. For example, of the say 10,000 “Early Access Program” members, Tesla might decide to test a feature with 200 members located in specific areas.

• Informative
Reactions: C141medic
Be aware that the vast majority of “Early Access Program” members do not receive software updates or features earlier than anyone else. Think of it as a special pool of testers that Tesla draws from whenever they want to test something. For example, of the say 10,000 “Early Access Program” members, they might decide to test a feature with 200 members located in specific areas.

Right. Just like the wide releases, it seems.

You know, I keep reading all these "Tesla ripped me off, yada, yada, yada" posts and I'm really trying hard to resist the "entitlement" argument. You saw the price AT THE TIME and you paid it. But, now you, think you're entitled to a refund or some special treatment? I don't know about anyone else, but when I buy something for X price, I'm not going to bitch about it later if it's cheaper. Anyone that's actually been in any kind of trading situation should know, the price is the price. That's not the price tomorrow or yesterday, that's the price you AGREED TO when you bought. Grow up!

Makes sense if Tesla ever delivered FSD. They have not, so you should be able to cancel your order.

I ordered a weighted blanket from Overstock.com. It did not arrive after 3 weeks, so I cancelled the order.

That is what I would expect a reputable company to do.

Last edited:
Be aware that the vast majority of “Early Access Program” members do not receive software updates earlier than anyone else. Think of it as a special pool of testers that Tesla draws from whenever they want to test something. For example, of the say 10,000 “Early Access Program” members, Tesla might decide to test a feature with 200 members located in specific areas.

I'm curious how that would play out if only a small percentage who were "gifted" into the program ever see updates. It makes me think they'll open it up to more than a couple hundred. Either way, it seems like being in both Early Access and Priority Access can have independent benefits.

Reactions: Ezri10
I'm curious how that would play out if only a small percentage who were "gifted" into the program ever see updates. It makes me think they'll open it up to more than a couple hundred. Either way, it seems like being in both Early Access and Priority Access can have independent benefits.

Unless you want to be in the early access program, it has no value. Personally, I'm busy enough that I don't want the goodies until they have been tried out by the early access people. Others want to be on the bleeding edge of increased functionality even if it means they need to wait for new versions to fix undiscovered bugs.

I do feel for those who paid full price for EAP and FSD but have little or no interest in the early access program. I paid for EAP (because I wanted to put it to use) but I gambled that FSD would not go up above the stated price and that it might go down. So I'm actually considering buying FSD for at least one of our Model 3's because I don't think it can get much cheaper if the car doesn't already have the ver. 3 hardware (and none do yet). The lowest I see FSD labor, hardware (and of course software) going is $1500 and I'm not even confident it will go below $2000. It could even go up.

I'm ok with paying the additional $2K for FSD, but I'm not ok with the 2019 folks getting it for free (if that's for real). Everyone should pay the same amount for something that isn't actually available yet. different people paid different prices for EAP, thats fine, the product is available, but FSD isn't. So one person should get that for free if another has paid $2-$3k for it.

Reactions: insaneoctane
Unless you want to be in the early access program, it has no value. Personally, I'm busy enough that I don't want the goodies until they have been tried out by the early access people. Others want to be on the bleeding edge of increased functionality even if it means they need to wait for new versions to fix undiscovered bugs.

I do feel for those who paid full price for EAP and FSD but have little or no interest in the early access program. I paid for EAP (because I wanted to put it to use) but I gambled that FSD would not go up above the stated price and that it might go down. So I'm actually considering buying FSD for at least one of our Model 3's because I don't think it can get much cheaper if the car doesn't already have the ver. 3 hardware (and none do yet). The lowest I see FSD labor, hardware (and of course software) going is $1500 and I'm not even confident it will go below $2000. It could even go up.

I believe Tesla's thinking was "They bought FSD before it's out, so they are more likely to want cutting edge functionality." No doubt that's not everyone, as some people took a financial gamble, but I do see why they went that way.

And I agree $2,000 seems very close to a "floor" in cost.

I'd get FSD if they would show me one HW2 car successfully getting a HW3 system swapped in. And in writing that I'd get it by end of year or $ back. I don't even care about functionality; I just want the hardware capable of FSD that my car was supposed to come with.

I'm pretty confident that's not even a valid concern. Worst case scenario is a delay of a few months to work out bugs. It's not rocket science, it's upgraded hardware with significantly more powerful processing.

Reactions: DiamondHands
So I purchased Enhanced AutoPilot when I bought my car. Today I enjoy all of these features:
  • Auto Lane Change
  • Autosteer
  • Traffic-Aware Cruise Control
  • Autopark
  • Summon
  • Navigate on Autopilot
If I understand correctly, if I do NOT purchase Full Self Driving for the additional $2k, I am going to lose the following four out of six of these?:
  • Auto Lane Change
  • Autopark
  • Summon
  • Navigate on Autopilot
Thanks!

I believe Tesla's thinking was "They bought FSD before it's out, so they are more likely to want cutting edge functionality." No doubt that's not everyone, as some people took a financial gamble, but I do see why they went that way.

I'm not sure how high the correlation is between early FSD adopters and people who want to try out the newest releases first is but there is probably a positive correlation, at least to some degree.

And I agree $2,000 seems very close to a "floor" in cost.

$2,000 for FSD leaves Tesla plenty for parts and labor but not a huge amount for the development. If it's good, leading-edge stuff, and I think it will be, even $2,000 doesn't over-compensate the developers. They could sell it for $1500 and not be losing money but it would take a LOT of sales to pay off the development efforts with such a low price.

So I purchased Enhanced AutoPilot when I bought my car. Today I enjoy all of these features:
  • Auto Lane Change
  • Autosteer
  • Autopark
  • Summon
  • Navigate on Autopilot
If I understand correctly, if I do NOT purchase Full Self Driving for the additional $2k, I am going to lose the following four out of six of these?:
  • Auto Lane Change
  • Autopark
  • Summon
  • Navigate on Autopilot
That's not my understanding. Where did you think you learned about these "losses"?

• Auto Lane Change
  • Autosteer
  • Autopark
  • Summon
  • Navigate on Autopilot
  • Auto Lane Change
  • Autopark
  • Summon
  • Navigate on Autopilot
Thanks!

no. Elon has clarified that legacy EAP purchasers will not lose anything

Reactions: Orizu