Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reduced price Autopilot & FSD for existing owners announced March 1st

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s always easier to disguise that cowardice with various versions of ‘who cares, it’s not a big deal, they’re right, not worth the time etc’. They all lead to the same thing: sucking it up and taking it.

Oh, no, I'm the first to stand up for a principle I believe in. And I believe in the freedom to adjust prices and change your mind. As long as Tesla did not advertise the price to upgrade after the purchase knowing that they were going to change their mind later, then I don't see the problem. There is an implied purchase/sale agreement with every purchase. I knew Tesla could raise or lower the upgrade price after the purchase - they were only advertising the current cost of the upgrade post-sale. I did buy EAP but I gambled on FSD. I almost bought it to lock in that price but I gambled they wouldn't raise it. Those who gambled wrong are butthurt.

The principle I'm standing up for is honor. People made an agreement to purchase something at an agreed upon price. Tesla will certainly honor that price but some purchasers don't want to. I do not find it dishonest that Tesla decided to lower the after-purchase price because I see no evidence they knew in advance which way the price would go - they had to pick a price for pre-pay that they were happy with at the moment and they would be locked into that price - even if they raised it for new purchasers at a later date. It's a two-way street folks. A purchase/sale agreement does not only lock one party into the agreement.

Anyone is free to disagree with me, and some have. That's fine but I'm not a coward nor do I flip my values on a whim due to peer pressure. I stand up for what I believe in.

I’ve no skin in this. I didn’t order AP or FSD. I do however understand those that overpaid for FSD, due to a promised condition in the contract, not wanting to bend over and grab their ankles while Elon launches another rocket.

The price for FSD after the sale was not a "promised condition", it was merely the current price for purchase after the sale. If you think it was a "promise" and that it would never change, I'm sure Tesla will honor that for any individual who still wants to pay that much. People get into trouble when they assume things not supported by the evidence. In this case, it appears that people assumed Tesla was guaranteeing they would never raise or lower the price in the future. I knew they could do either which is why I almost bought FSD. In the end I figured I would just take my chances.

The launch was amazing!

• Funny
Reactions: Kant.Ing
Are you a fan of false advertising? Tesla’s website stated FSD would be $4k (then $5k later on) if you didn’t purchase it for $3k prior to delivery. Now it is $2k. This looks like a clear case of false advertising in my book, which btw typically gets a company a lawsuit.

Did it say the price would be $4K after purchasing the car? Or did it say the price would be $4K for eternity after purchasing the car?

I've purchased software that was on sale, where it was specifically stated that the regular price it would return to after the sale was X. Then a month later, the price was reduced to an even lower number.

No company will claim what the price of a given product will be for eternity. They will, however, tell you what their policy is for now.

Did it say the price would be $4K after purchasing the car? Or did it say the price would be $4K for eternity after purchasing the car?

I've purchased software that was on sale, where it was specifically stated that the regular price it would return to after the sale was X. Then a month later, the price was reduced to an even lower number.

No company will claim what the price of a given product will be for eternity. They will, however, tell you what their policy is for now.

Exactly! Anyone who feels butthurt about this needs to read the above very carefully!

Anyone with half a brain knew the future price could go up or down.

Reactions: TrumpetTitan
Entertain me for a minute with this hypothetical situation. A manufacturer (can be any manufacturer) is advertising a “widget” and states get it today at the fantastic price of $1000 and beat the price increase because it will cost you more in the future. So, I purchase the widget but they don’t deliver it and tell me don’t worry it’ll be available soon. A year passes and still no widget. At that point they re-advertise the same widget for $500 but still don’t have it available for delivery. So, what do you think the people who purchased the widget, a year ago, at $1000 would expect and should do? I think any reasonable person knows the answer and I’ll leave it at that.

This scenario does not compare. You say you ordered the widget and they don't deliver it. As in... You expected to receive it immediately after payment, and the manufacturer fell through on that immediate delivery.

With FSD, the expectation was always that the feature would be delivered to you much later.

• Disagree
Reactions: C141medic
Upgrading to Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability

Upgrading to Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability
The Tesla Team March 1, 2019
All customers who bought a Tesla before yesterday’s price decrease will be able to buy the Autopilot or Full Self-Driving capability for half of what those features would normally cost after initial purchase.

Autopilot, which enables automatic steering, accelerating and braking, normally costs $4,000 after delivery and Full Self-Driving normally costs $7,000 after delivery. Full Self-Driving capability includes Navigate on Autopilot, Advanced Summon, Auto Lane Change, Autopark and, later this year, will recognize and respond to traffic lights.

Any customer who bought a Tesla prior to this week’s price adjustment will be able to upgrade to Autopilot for $2,000 or Full Self-Driving capability for an additional $3,000 (those who previously purchased Enhanced Autopilot and want to upgrade to Full-Self Driving capability only pay $2,000). In other words, for a customer who previously hadn’t purchased Autopilot plus Full Self-Driving, they will soon be able to do so for $6,000 less than before. Customers who previously purchased Full Self-Driving will receive an invitation to Tesla’s Early Access Program (EAP). EAP members are invited to experience and provide feedback on new features and functionality before they are rolled out to other customers.

Beginning next month, any existing customer who wants to upgrade to Autopilot or Full Self-Driving capability will be able to do so with a one-click payment. There will be no need to call anyone, and it will be as easy as it was to order your car in the first place.

Uh except the company they are contracting with explicitly says it will go up. That relieves the buyer from the gamble. It’s called a condition.
Your eternity argument fails too. Do you really think a court can’t see the difference between months and eternity? Trust me, they can, even if you can’t.

The use of exaggeration and ad hominem argument, while being condescending, tells me you aren’t particularly knowledgeable about the law and where it would likey settle on this. You’re providing your opinion, which is fine. Please try to remember it’s not worth nearly as much as you think it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: C141medic
Amazon changes prices on a daily bases for the same item, they do not do price adjustments and will only to returns. Is that False advertising?

Very few auto makers even allow for returns, let alone the new incredible Tesla 7 days/1000 Miles, return.

You realize people that have actual knowledge of contract law and things like consideration and performance think you’re a meatball when you say things like this right? You ain’t the smartest in the room dude.

I don't claim to be the smartest person here but, based on the comments I see, that wouldn't be much of a brag.;)

Why don't you stick to the facts. Saying that other people know more about contract law than I do doesn't mean those people don't acknowledge that Tesla never guaranteed the future price would never be less. Prices change all the time, there is no law against that. You are acting as if Tesla implied they would never change the price for after purchase upgrades!

Amazon changes prices on a daily bases for the same item, they do not do price adjustments and will only to returns. Is that False advertising?

Very few auto makers even allow for returns, let alone the new incredible Tesla 7 days/1000 Miles, return.
If you pre order a DVD that priced as $5,000 later, for $3,000 now.
Then, BEFORE coming out that DVD is actually $2,000.
Isn't it misleading statement that caused to lose money?
What would Amazon do in that case?
I think we all know!

Reactions: Perry

If you pre-order something from Amazon, they do adjust the price before the item delivers if the price went down. Of course, they also don't charge your card until the item is released.

I equate my FSD purchase to a pre-order that hasn't actually released yet. I dont think Tesla re-defining released EAP features as FSD should count as delivering the FSD I pre-ordered.

If you pre order a DVD that priced as $5,000 later, for $3,000 now.
Then, BEFORE coming out that DVD is actually $2,000.
Isn't it misleading statement that caused to lose money?

No, no money was lost. The purchaser agreed to buy the DVD for $3,000 for delivery at a later date. That is a valid purchase agreement. Only if the seller guaranteed the price would never be dropped before release would you have a valid point.

How many times do we need to go over this very basic point? How come no one wants to take responsibility for their purchase decisions these days? Probably because they grew up playing games where no one lost, everyone was a winner.

I've been an advocate against that kind of child education for decades now. It looks like the results are starting to come in. People raised like that think it's their God-given right to get the best deal available, even if they made the purchase contract at a different point in time. My advice to these people: never start trading stocks, options, or bonds. You will always think someone is ripping you off, every time you don't get the best price of the year. Don't get me wrong, at any point in time, you deserve the best price currently available. However, a purchase at a different time has different considerations that affect the supply and demand and prices do not stay the same over time. They could go up or down, that's natural.

Traditional auto dealerships break this rule all the time by selling the same car with the same options at wildly different prices on the same day. "Walter" might pay $36,000 while "Marie" who came in at the same time but was working with a different car salesman, had paid $38,775 for the exact same car! That's not what's going on here because prices are fungible over time. Nothing stays the same forever.