Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reduced price Autopilot & FSD for existing owners announced March 1st

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have all known people who constantly change their minds about everything. We still like these people, but we don’t believe them anymore. It’s the same principle.

It's really not though, because these aren't the people being discussed, despite you continually getting that basic different right.

These are the people who usually DO do what they tell you they're going to do- they just always show up late to do it.

Those really are different things, in a very fundamental way that seems to repeatedly escape you.

Hi... I bought my Model-3 in Sept last year, had taken Enhanced Autopilot option back then. Now it shows FSD for $2000 upgrade. My question is what will be the price after it goes up probably tomorrow?? Also, will it be over the air software upgrade or is there any additional part/chip that will need to be installed in the car? Also, what will FSD will add (feature-wise) in addition to Enhanced Autopilot feature it already has? Appreciate your comments!!!

Bit the bullet and bought FSD. I have serious doubts that I'll get HW3 with this though. My prediction is that they'll do a basic "FSD" to fulfill the reading signs/lights and local-AP and then another Enhanced FSD for all the other stuff. The FOMO is strong, I guess.

I do wish there was something to indicate that I bought it. It's not on my options page or anything... no receipt.

What is HW3??

I think this would have went a lot better if they called this a sale from the beginning. I picked AP but not FSD as spending 5K for both was a bit more than I wanted to take on out of now where. If I knew it was coming I would have prepared more for this expenditure. It’s still quite possible it’ll never be this price again. I know I’ll never add FSD if it’s going to be $7K for this vehicle. It’s also possible this was a total knee jerk reaction by Tesla in the first place and wasn’t planned at all. Based off of my experience thus far I’d guess not.

The upgraded autopilot computer that will be standard in new Teslas soon, and will be a free upgrade for anyone who purchased FSD for their cars (~30 minutes for a service center, or possibly even a ranger, to swap out)

So, I had purchased my M3 last Sept with Enhanced Autopilot, it shows in my acct has FSD ($2000) upgrade option. So, will they be installing the HW3 if I buy the FSD??

Elon's tweets seemed to repeatedly clearly state that anyone who has FSD should be getting the HW3 upgrade.

But there are many online people losing sleep and picking apart his tweets and thinking that he will somehow renege on the promise.
Tesla support isn't helping by making statements that seem vague and unclear about what we can expect in the future.
Someone at Tesla ought to make sure Elon's tweet promises turn into an internal memo or press release so that everyone knows what we expect.

People would have had more piece of mind if the FSD order page mentioned the HW3 upgrade so we didn't have to depend just on twitter promises.

We’ve all known people who get so wound up in something minor they waste hours posting vitriol.

Here is a scenario: You bought your Tesla yesterday for $55,000 and today they dropped it to $51,000. Maybe you also paid $5,000 for autopilot and you see it is now $3,000. You also see FSD, which you thought would be $3,000 is now $7,000. You call Tesla and ask for the difference or some kind of credit, like you would with any other business in the world and they tell you tough luck because they don’t care how it makes you feel.

A. Apha personality: you get upset that you feel ripped off and you post your opinion on a public forum.

B. Beta personailty: you are scared of conflict and go back to watching Full House and eating kettle corn.

I feel like I am living in a weird dream. Why are consumers
Here is a scenario: You bought your Tesla yesterday for $55,000 and today they dropped it to $51,000. Maybe you also paid $5,000 for autopilot and you see it is now $3,000. You also see FSD, which you thought would be $3,000 is now $7,000. You call Tesla and ask for the difference or some kind of credit, like you would with any other business in the world and they tell you tough luck because they don’t care how it makes you feel.

A. Apha personality: you get upset that you feel ripped off and you post your opinion on a public forum.

B. Beta personailty: you are scared of conflict and go back to watching Full House and eating kettle corn.

Except, you aren't also taking into account the difference in federal subsidy, and also the fact that it's a (relatively) free market and prices fluctuate. I challenge you to buy ANY new car, and not see a pricing distribution across individuals.

I'm starting to suspect that too many people purchased the vehicle without truly being able to afford it.

You bought a house. Cost you $250k. Similar house next door sells a month later for $225. What you going to do?

Car prices are subject to promotion. The AP and FSD functions were rebundled, so you cannot compare today’s 3k AP with yesterday’s 5k EAP.

Alpha beta schmeta... I believe you take action on the things that are important, material, and fruitful, and move on from the others. Acting hurt on forums fits there nowhere.

BYW what is kettle corn and full house? No comprende.

You bought a house. Cost you $250k. Similar house next door sells a month later for $225. What you going to do?

Car prices are subject to promotion. The AP and FSD functions were rebundled, so you cannot compare today’s 3k AP with yesterday’s 5k EAP.

Alpha beta schmeta... I believe you take action on the things that are important, material, and fruitful, and move on from the others. Acting hurt on forums fits there nowhere.

you're right.

but the cost of fluctuating prices is that people like me wont reserve/preorder anymore. i was going to preorder model y on day 1.. but now im going to wait until after they are out on the roads, and then buy one for 20% less. if tesla has taught me one thing, it's that early adopters get shafted and the people who wait get rewarded.

Except, you aren't also taking into account the difference in federal subsidy, and also the fact that it's a (relatively) free market and prices fluctuate. I challenge you to buy ANY new car, and not see a pricing distribution across individuals.

I'm starting to suspect that too many people purchased the vehicle without truly being able to afford it.

I got stung by the price change - but I am indifferent to it for a variety of reasons but...

One issue why people are upset is that one of Tesla's brand promises was that it was no haggle, no sale seller and everyone got the same deal. That unlike traditional sellers you would not find out that your neighbour drove a better bargain than you did and saved $5,000.

The price is still the price, but with 'sales' now occurring not everyone is getting the same deal and some consumer feel betrayed and Telsa is living up to who they claimed to be.

A brand promise represents everything a company stands for, it is the unique statement of what the company offers, what separates it from its rivals and what makes it worthy of customers' consideration. When companies break that promises or are perceived to break that promise they lose loyal consumers.

Back to me - I did not care about Tesla, their brand promise, Mission etc. I wanted and EV and liked this one so I bought it. When they acted like every other automaker and changed prices, I was unmoved. BUT if you did buy into their Brand promise they were not like every other auto maker, you are going to be offended.

So you can't have it both ways - you can't say support us because we are a different kind of auto company, then when people don't like what you did, defend by saying - we are just doing what every auto company does.

So the pricing, I guess we were talking midnight Wednesday night (11:59 PM Weds) vs. 12:01 AM Weds (i.e. early this morning)?

Yes, it’s confusing the way they’re talking about the deadline. To me midnight means the start of the next day, so saying midnight Wednesday should have been this morning. But in actuality Tesla means the end of the day today (Wednesday) Pacific time.

A lot of people paid thousands more days and weeks before with the same tax subsidy. Tesla was also handing out free wheel upgrades and $1500 discounts to some.

So, you can defend it all you want like it doesn't matter, but most customers caught up in it feel alienated. You can’t lecture people out of feeling screwed over. If you didn’t experience this, then your opinion is not relevant.

If you did experience it and you don’t care about owing thousands more for the same car over the next six years, then either you are so well off that it doesn’t matter, or you are afraid of confrontation.

This is not a cheap iphone. It’s not a house you will live in for 30 years to offset rent that will go up in value over time. It’s a very expensive depreciating asset financed for only six years. You drive it off the lot and it loses 20% of it’s value. You already calculated that. Then days later, Tesla steals another almost 20% from you and tells you to get lost. Don’t get mad though, cause it’s just thousands of dollars you are going to slowly pay on for years.

I got stung by the price change - but I am indifferent to it for a variety of reasons but...

One issue why people are upset is that one of Tesla's brand promises was that it was no haggle, no sale seller and everyone got the same deal. That unlike traditional sellers you would not find out that your neighbour drove a better bargain than you did and saved $5,000.

The price is still the price, but with 'sales' now occurring not everyone is getting the same deal and some consumer feel betrayed and Telsa is living up to who they claimed to be.

Another way to look at this pricing strategy: For those who bought with their cars and those who paid nothing, the cost to Tesla for each car is the same. I have all the same hardware, and paid $0. Basically, everyone who bought AP and FSD is partially subsidizing cheapskates like me. Now, Tesla comes along and wants to get something out of the holdouts. So if they can convince people to pay something instead of nothing, drivers who paid full price are subsidising the holdouts a lot less (if at all), and Tesla has more money to put into making FSD awesome at no detriment to you.