Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reduced price Autopilot & FSD for existing owners announced March 1st

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A lot of people paid thousands more days and weeks before with the same tax subsidy. Tesla was also handing out free wheel upgrades and $1500 discounts to some.

So, you can defend it all you want like it doesn't matter, but most customers caught up in it feel alienated. You can’t lecture people out of feeling screwed over. If you didn’t experience this, then your opinion is not relevant.

If you did experience it and you don’t care about owing thousands more for the same car over the next six years, then either you are so well off that it doesn’t matter, or you are afraid of confrontation.

This is not a cheap iphone. It’s not a house you will live in for 30 years to offset rent that will go up in value over time. It’s a very expensive depreciating asset financed for only six years. You drive it off the lot and it loses 20% of it’s value. You already calculated that. Then days later, Tesla steals another almost 20% from you and tells you to get lost. Don’t get mad though, cause it’s just thousands of dollars you are going to slowly pay on for years.

Unless I missed something, saying Tesla “stole” 20% from owners is conflating issues with what happened in foreign markets.

I recently bought a house, and due to various factors/reasons I overpaid by 7-10%. Since moving in I’ve discovered things that were broken that I assumed were not, and this moves my perceived overpayment to 15%. Does it piss me off? Yea, it does. Did I agree on the price, and sign the documents? Yea, I did. It sucks, but so does life. Of course this overpayment is perceived, as the true loss won’t be realized until I have sold it.

I would say not to finance a depreciating asset like a vehicle, but according to the example of my house in escense I have.

Unless I missed something, saying Tesla “stole” 20% from owners is conflating issues with what happened in foreign markets.

I recently bought a house, and due to various factors/reasons I overpaid by 7-10%. Since moving in I’ve discovered things that were broken that I assumed were not, and this moves my perceived overpayment to 15%. Does it piss me off? Yea, it does. Did I agree on the price, and sign the documents? Yea, I did. It sucks, but so does life. Of course this overpayment is perceived, as the true loss won’t be realized until I have sold it.

I would say not to finance a depreciating asset like a vehicle, but according to the example of my house in escense I have.

Question is, would you buy a house from that seller again???

When you buy a house you always start out behind. Closing costs and unforseen expenses will hit you straight away. About six months later, if there is not a recession then it will begin appreciating. Six months later, a year later, look again and see where you are at.

You just needed a better real estate agent.

• Funny
Reactions: dnvr-ev
When you buy a house you always start out behind. Closing costs and unforseen expenses will hit you straight away. About six months later, if there is not a recession then it will begin appreciating. Six months later, a year later, look again and see where you are at.

Look at mr. fancy pants here, living in an area that has market appreciation.

You know it’s bad when even Zillow’s price estimate says you overpaid (1.5yrs on btw) :(.

_[Updated]. No one can buy it for: Long range $43k + EAP $3k + FSD $2k = $48k - Tax Credit $6250 = $41750

The current 3/21/2019 price is:
Long range $44,500k + AP $3k + FSD $5k = $52,500k - Tax Credit $6250 = $46,250

There are NO discounts for buyers of AP+FSD today, only if you bought the M3 in 2018 without EAP+FSD or only EAP.

So 48K total after credits in 2018 is now $46,250, so its a small amount and fair IMO.

_[Updated]. No one can buy it for: Long range $43k + EAP $3k + FSD $2k = $48k - Tax Credit $6250 = $41750

The current 3/21/2019 price is:
Long range $44,500k + AP $3k + FSD $5k = $52,500k - Tax Credit $6250 = $46,250

There are NO discounts for buyers of AP+FSD today, only if you bought the M3 in 2018 without EAP+FSD or only EAP.

So 48K total after credits in 2018 is now $46,250, so its a small amount and fair IMO.

EAP wasn’t $3k.

And how are you getting a $6250 tax credit? Maybe that’s a CA-specific thing?

I’ve owned both an Audi S5 and Q5, both $55k cars and worth it. When the new features were announced in 2018 like 4G/lte and digital dashboard my option was to buy a new car. So now I own a model3 LR/AWD and love it. Not because of new features we get now and then by OTD, but because it is a great car.

Look at mr. fancy pants here, living in an area that has market appreciation.

You know it’s bad when even Zillow’s price estimate says you overpaid (1.5yrs on btw) :(.
LOL. Are you saving over rent? There has to be some positive. If nothing else, after 30 years of payments, you don’t have to pay rent to the bank anymore.

I lost a ton of money on houses before I figured out the magic formula. Buy the worst house in the best area and spend all your free time and money remodeling it. Sell it and do that again several times. Before long, even though you are only middle class, you live across the street from a doctor and drive a Tesla.

LOL. Are you saving over rent? There has to be some positive. If nothing else, after 30 years of payments, you don’t have to pay rent to the bank anymore.

I lost a ton of money on houses before I figured out the magic formula. Buy the worst house in the best area and spend all your free time and money remodeling it. Sell it and do that again several times. Before long, even though you are only middle class, you live across the street from a doctor and drive a Tesla.

My first house I tried to optimize making it a great financial decision. I wasted every waking hour fretting over what my house value was doing with weather/news cycle/my perception of neighbors behaviors. I sold it once my wife finished her doctorate and took a faculty position halfway across the country.

I swore off buying a house, and decided we would just rent for the foreseeable future. This mindset lasted about 8 months before we couldn't tolerate the rental market conditions in our area. This next go round we decided to buy a house we thought we would want to live in. Flipping houses can be very lucrative, but I've learned to know how to pick my battles. I'm an OCD engineer whom frustrates easy, and I know I don't have the mental stability to handle such projects.

Unfortunately, it seems we have the most expensive house in a decent area, but at least I still get to drive a Tesla :).

Reactions: Falkirk
My first house I tried to optimize making it a great financial decision. I wasted every waking hour fretting over what my house value was doing with weather/news cycle/my perception of neighbors behaviors. I sold it once my wife finished her doctorate and took a faculty position halfway across the country.

I swore off buying a house, and decided we would just rent for the foreseeable future. This mindset lasted about 8 months before we couldn't tolerate the rental market conditions in our area. This next go round we decided to buy a house we thought we would want to live in. Flipping houses can be very lucrative, but I've learned to know how to pick my battles. I'm an OCD engineer whom frustrates easy, and I know I don't have the mental stability to handle such projects.

Unfortunately, it seems we have the most expensive house in a decent area, but at least I still get to drive a Tesla :).

We all have our limitations. Until Elon invents time travel we have to make our decisions and just own them. There’s always a way to make a wrong decision less wrong and a right decision more right.

There is no option in the poll for customers who don't want anything to happen.

Fair enough, Added! Here's the latest...
2019-03-21_10-55-10.jpg

A lot of people feel that they were treated unfairly for different reasons. Your reason is just as valid as the people who bought in 2019 and paid a ton more than people who bought after March 1. Hopefully, Tesla puts some thought into future decisions. That said, if FSD actually works, it will revolutionize the auto industry and Tesla will lead the way.

The main unfairness isn't even coming from just the price drop, but also from how they advertised it by saying "price will go up if you don't buy now" when the fact is price dropped.

And they never advertise saying vehicle price will go up/stay if you don't buy now. Therefore the case is different. This is more similar to Elon's twitter claim of going private at price $xxx. MISLEADING claim therefore there should be legal consequences.

I would adhere to false advertisement as the claim and I am planning to file this to small claim court to begin with. If anyone is with me, happy to join the class action lawsuit.

Last edited: