Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reduced price Autopilot & FSD for existing owners announced March 1st

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I bought in Sept and delivered in Sept 2018 during there big push to end a quarter profitable Bought EAP at end of trial period for $5,500 plus tax so $5,800. Now they want me to pay 2k for the nav in city, stop sign and stop light, auto lane without confirmation. Add tax so about $2,150. So I would pay almost $8,000 total vs someone who bought in 2019 and didn’t get EAP or FSD and would pay $3,000 total for everything. Does anyone think that’s fair? I don’t. And just to make sure it’s not fait if the early 2019 got EAP they get upgraded for free to FSD. Figure that one? Just for info I dIdn’t get EAP because it never was available during any test drive.
I’m having a very hard time trying to justify throwing another 2k at so little an upgrade especially when others who paid less or nothing are getting it for free or less then half of what it would cost me. This is treating early purchasers unfairly. IMHO

Curious, isn't it $5000 total for people who didn't buy EAP to get everything now? $3k for AP + $2k for FSD.

Unless I missed something, saying Tesla “stole” 20% from owners is conflating issues with what happened in foreign markets.

I recently bought a house, and due to various factors/reasons I overpaid by 7-10%. Since moving in I’ve discovered things that were broken that I assumed were not, and this moves my perceived overpayment to 15%. Does it piss me off? Yea, it does. Did I agree on the price, and sign the documents? Yea, I did. It sucks, but so does life. Of course this overpayment is perceived, as the true loss won’t be realized until I have sold it.

I would say not to finance a depreciating asset like a vehicle, but according to the example of my house in escense I have.

No one told you in the process in public format that your house price would go up, right? So you were not misled.

And now it's gone? So I learned by accident about a week ago of the lower prices on FSD. I decided I would make the purchase as soon as the next statement period on my CC which is March 26. Checked yesterday and it was still $5,500 including tax for both features. But today it is back to $12,000 including tax. Never was told it was available and never saw anything on when it would go away. Could not be more disappointed.

Upgrading to Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability

Upgrading to Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability
The Tesla Team March 1, 2019
All customers who bought a Tesla before yesterday’s price decrease will be able to buy the Autopilot or Full Self-Driving capability for half of what those features would normally cost after initial purchase.

Autopilot, which enables automatic steering, accelerating and braking, normally costs $4,000 after delivery and Full Self-Driving normally costs $7,000 after delivery. Full Self-Driving capability includes Navigate on Autopilot, Advanced Summon, Auto Lane Change, Autopark and, later this year, will recognize and respond to traffic lights.

Any customer who bought a Tesla prior to this week’s price adjustment will be able to upgrade to Autopilot for $2,000 or Full Self-Driving capability for an additional $3,000. In other words, for a customer who previously hadn’t purchased Autopilot plus Full Self-Driving, they will soon be able to do so for $6,000 less than before. Customers who previously purchased Full Self-Driving will receive an invitation to Tesla’s Early Access Program (EAP). EAP members are invited to experience and provide feedback on new features and functionality before they are rolled out to other customers.

Beginning next month, any existing customer who wants to upgrade to Autopilot or Full Self-Driving capability will be able to do so with a one-click payment. There will be no need to call anyone, and it will be as easy as it was to order your car in the first place.

[ TEG mod edit: Editing first post to add this chart that 'Troy' created to explain all the new options ] :

a9ddabb3-50c2-4e82-82cc-77f9e30e8eb9-jpeg.382774

Reactions: Mod3forMe
And now it's gone? So I learned by accident about a week ago of the lower prices on FSD. I decided I would make the purchase as soon as the next statement period on my CC which is March 26. Checked yesterday and it was still $5,500 including tax for both features. But today it is back to $12,000 including tax. Never was told it was available and never saw anything on when it would go away. Could not be more disappointed.

You have your fellow owners to thank for that. They couldn’t stomach the notion people, such as yourself, could be getting something cheaper than they did.

The main unfairness isn't even coming from just the price drop, but also from how they advertised it by saying "price will go up if you don't buy now" when the fact is price dropped.

And they never advertise saying vehicle price will go up/stay if you don't buy now. Therefore the case is different. This is more similar to Elon's twitter claim of going private at price $xxx. MISLEADING claim therefore there should be legal consequences.

I would adhere to false advertisement as the claim and I am planning to file this to small claim court to begin with. If anyone is with me, happy to join the class action lawsuit.

Congrats, prices back up... you win?

• Funny
Reactions: Wknapp0924
Look at chart on this discussion at middle column purchased in 2019. Everything for 3k.
Everything was never $3,000. It was $5,000. The chart has been wrong several times. I bought after the tax break dropped to $3750 but before the price dropped $4,000. I therefore paid $4,000 more than buyers several weeks after me. I paid $5,000 for both. The free AP was never offered or delivered and was a mistake propogated by customer service. I called and talked to them.

Either you paid $5k for eap and got fsd for free

You didn’t buy either and got both for $5k

You had eap prior to 2019 and got fsd for $2k

You had neither and bought just basic ap for $2k.

Or...You waited and now FSD is $5k if you have EAP, $7k if you have AP or $11K if you need to buy both.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: majesticmaj
You have your fellow owners to thank for that. They couldn’t stomach the notion people, such as yourself, could be getting something cheaper than they did.
Might be time to stop blaming the customer on this one. The important complaint is not who's getting screwed and who's not, it's that ALL customers, past, present and future, need CONSISTENCY and CLARITY in the pricing scheme (sorry to go with all caps, but it's necessary here). Otherwise the credibility of the company selling you something is undermined, maybe fatally.
Software of any kind costs something, we all know that. It's a complex ratio of how much R&D money went into it vs. what Tesla expects back as a return, plus a lot of other things. The crazy volatility in their pricing structures, however, makes it clear that they are not actually making those calculations and sticking to them. They are trying to make up for the margins they lost in reducing the Standard to the promised price level, but let's not pretend that these price dips and spikes are related to some kind of natural market forces, it's just Tesla's own internal uncertainty, and they have to be called out on it.

Congrats, prices back up... you win?
Tesla should never have lowered prices the way they did period. They need all the money they can get and demand is already good. If they were going to lower prices, they should have done it in conjunction with the ending of the tax breaks. Same outcome. Everyone gets treated the same. Everyone is happy. Tesla makes more money along the way.

The whole AP FSD thing could have been fixed easily by adhering to the above price reduction plan and then offering three packages. AP $3k, EAP $2K, FSD $3K at time of delivery. Then they could have given all early buyers a chance to upgrade at delivery price for 30 days. Again, no one would have been unhappy. Everyone would have been treated fairly. No one would be upset because everyone got the same price.

All they need at Tesla is someone who can anticipate public response to their moves.

After reading all the TESLA haters and crying babies all over these forums, I wanted to check how much money I lost :(. I was prepared for thousands $ and will have not complained about it as I am so happy with this car, my only regret will have been not buying it sooner.

screen-shot-2019-03-21-at-4-10-27-pm-jpg.23655

RESULT is surprising, I am still ahead with $250 more in my pocket! THANKS TESLA

Reactions: M109Rider
I still can’t help but be confused with everything that’s going on over this at the moment. I purchased my car with EAP in January 2019 and had all the futures currently available on the car. Fsd wasn’t an option when i purchased but i knew it would be available eventually. On Sunday I purchased the FSD package for $2000 knowing the price cut was only temporary and now I see people talking about tesla upgrading them to FSD for free if they paid 5k for EAP which i did. Am I missing something obvious here or did i just waste 2k?

I called Tesla when this whole thing happened multiple times and thought I was getting free AP to make up for the price drop. Customer service actually told other people that. I bought in 2019 as well but did not purchase AP or FSD. Originally I was supposed to get free AP and you were supposed to get free FSD. They finally told me after long holds that I was not getting free anything. He said if I had bought EAP I would get free FSD, but since I didn’t I would get nothing. I’m not sure even he was right, but if he was, you should have automatically gotten it.

People who ordered their cars but they were not yet delivered got free FSD added on automatically. People in Europe got some extras too. Others continued waiting and got nothing.

So I think originally they were going to give out free AP, then only free FSD, and then Elon reversed course and said it was a mistake.

If I were you I would CALL and ask if you were supposed to get it for free. You should try. I think you were originally, but they changed their minds about it. Still no one knows for sure.

The final us deal was?:

Undelivered cars with EAP=free FSD
Delivered cars AP+FSD=$5k
Delivered EAP cars FSD=$2k

Elon said it was not linear, so the sale was never meant to be fair. It was their response to an angry outcry on twitter and it calmed a lot of people down and earned Tesla a ton of cash. It also angered everyone who paid $3k for FSD, so they then canceled the whole sale to end the controversy.

After reading all the TESLA haters and crying babies all over these forums, I wanted to check how much money I lost :(. I was prepared for thousands $ and will have not complained about it as I am so happy with this car, my only regret will have been not buying it sooner.

screen-shot-2019-03-21-at-4-10-27-pm-jpg.23655

RESULT is surprising, I am still ahead with $250 more in my pocket! THANKS TESLA
I would love to see your calculation and when you bought it if you have time.

I still can’t help but be confused with everything that’s going on over this at the moment. I purchased my car with EAP in January 2019 and had all the futures currently available on the car. Fsd wasn’t an option when i purchased but i knew it would be available eventually. On Sunday I purchased the FSD package for $2000 knowing the price cut was only temporary and now I see people talking about tesla upgrading them to FSD for free if they paid 5k for EAP which i did. Am I missing something obvious here or did i just waste 2k?

If you bought before the price drop, you could've gotten FSD for a total of $5000 instead of $7000. That makes sense?

For the people that saw AP $3500 and AP+FSD $9000, were you a used Tesla owner? I *never* saw the $2000/$5000 prices on my account and that’s what Customer Support is telling me. The $2000/$5000 price is only for the original owner of the vehicle - something the blog post does NOT mention.

• Informative
I took delivery of my car back in Nov'18 without EAP. I was able to purchase both AP + FSD for 5K last week. Did I get a "good" deal?

I ended up doing the same thing. Only time will tell if we got the best deal. I would bet that Tesla will have similar fire sales the next time they need quick cash. But, I doubt the AP/FSD prices would be lower than we've seen.

AP @ $2k was a good deal to me. FSD @$3k is debatable since the current features it includes are mostly useless. I debated it for a few days after I bought AP, but did end up buying it because I'm hopeful that Tesla will continue to improve the software and give us HW3.

since the current features (FSD) includes are mostly useless.
For me this gets to the heart of it. I have 50 days left on a trial for all of the features, and so far I haven't found a single one that seems worth thousands. Autopilot feels jerky when traffic conditions are changing and, unless I'm going to sit in traffic for an hour (which I usually don't), not something that gives a lot of benefit. Autopark has to have very specific parameters which don't apply in most situations (i.e. two cars around a single spot). I have a driveway on a hill that needs to be backed into, but there's no feature for that. Summon? For 39 feet out of a garage? Still can't figure that one out.
I love where Tesla's going with this and they should keep going. But clearly it needs more work (years, I would say, not months) before autonomous driving is here. So what Tesla should be shooting for are many more USERS that will provide data to put toward improvement, not instant monetization (and, in my opinion, too high of a markup) for beta-version features.