Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reduced price Autopilot & FSD for existing owners announced March 1st

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the people that saw AP $3500 and AP+FSD $9000, were you a used Tesla owner? I *never* saw the $2000/$5000 prices on my account and that’s what Customer Support is telling me. The $2000/$5000 price is only for the original owner of the vehicle - something the blog post does NOT mention.
Used customers were not offered the deal. That tells me that Tesla believes FSD is actually worth the $7k price. Tesla also has no liabilty or obligation to used owners like they do new owners, so that’s probably why they didn’t offer it.

For me this gets to the heart of it. I have 50 days left on a trial for all of the features, and so far I haven't found a single one that seems worth thousands. Autopilot feels jerky when traffic conditions are changing and, unless I'm going to sit in traffic for an hour (which I usually don't), not something that gives a lot of benefit. Autopark has to have very specific parameters which don't apply in most situations (i.e. two cars around a single spot). I have a driveway on a hill that needs to be backed into, but there's no feature for that. Summon? For 39 feet out of a garage? Still can't figure that one out.
I love where Tesla's going with this and they should keep going. But clearly it needs more work (years, I would say, not months) before autonomous driving is here. So what Tesla should be shooting for are many more USERS that will provide data to put toward improvement, not instant monetization (and, in my opinion, too high of a markup) for beta-version features.
I am hoping that the car’s lack of intelligence is related to the computer being slow and a new super computer brain will fix most of the issues. I agree that the extra fsd features are more toys than practical.

So I just got off the phone with Tesla customer service and they confirmed with me that there was no complementary upgrade for owners who had purchased Enhanced auto pilot. The gentleman that I spoke with informed me that the people who bought enhanced auto pilot were being given the option to upgrade for $2000. If you didn’t take advantage of that while the prices were discounted the cost to upgrade now is $7000. Take it for what it’s worth I spoke with a gentleman named Tyson from their Fremont customer service center and after speaking with him I’m glad I upgraded before the deadline.

I would love to see your calculation and when you bought it if you have time.
Sure I do not understand your questions? everything is on the table I posted (date configuration price...). I bought Oct 25-2018, Tesla promised delivery in Dec1st then Dec 31st 2018 but missed the delivery as they were not able to reserve enough space in the boat from Honolulu to Maui. Car was delivered Jan 16 here in Maui. Invoice was reduced by $2000 because price dropped before delivery then Tesla is giving me back $1750 to compensate the Federal credit missed in 2018. I then bought FSD for $2000 March 14-2019.
Now I compared my exact same configuration to the car I could buy today. It will be $250 more now compared to my order from Oct 2018.

It is likely that Tesla will lower it again at some point down the line.

Not sure if it can lower to $2K for AP and $3K for FSD.

So no need to fret over for missing the deadline. Besides I have more fun driving it. YMMV but in my opinion AP with auto lane change is only worth $1,000.
$4,000? No thanks.

I bought AP but was on the fence for days about FSD because I felt the current features were useless (I have them in my X). $5000 was a lot to spend for software, so I opted to only spend the $2000. But now that’s it’s been taken away, I feel like I missed the boat. Sigh.

Why don’t they move to a subscription service like almost all other companies are. Look at Adobe, Office 360 (I think), Netflix, Apple Music etc. Recurring revenue, and you don’t need to shell out a huge sum all at once. Instead you can try it in “small pieces”. Instead, Tesla uses a now or never approach. If more people just tested AP, they would all get hooked.

Why don’t they move to a subscription service like almost all other companies are. Look at Adobe, Office 360 (I think), Netflix, Apple Music etc. Recurring revenue, and you don’t need to shell out a huge sum all at once. Instead you can try it in “small pieces”. Instead, Tesla uses a now or never approach. If more people just tested AP, they would all get hooked.

Please don't change to a subscription format - there are already too many services out there - Adobe, Office 360 (or 365, whatever it takes), Netflix, Apple Music etc. They are death by a 1000 paper cuts. One of the reasons I love Tesla is that I no longer have those monthly Mbrace and XM Radio charges.

Is anyone else upset that right now a new customer can pay $5k for FSD to get navigate, self park, summon and "other upcoming capabilities", and those of us who bought a car with EAP around 6 months ago would have to pay the same $5k for FSD despite the fact we would get less for our $5k because already have all of the features except the "other future capabilities"?

I'm tempted to start a class action suit that we shouldn't pay the same to get less, if anyone else wants to join in...

Frankly it feels like they are charging us twice for what we already paid for once...

Is anyone else upset that right now a new customer can pay $5k for FSD to get navigate, self park, summon and "other upcoming capabilities", and those of us who bought a car with EAP around 6 months ago would have to pay the same $5k for FSD despite the fact we would get less for our $5k because already have all of the features except the "other future capabilities"?

I'm tempted to start a class action suit that we shouldn't pay the same to get less, if anyone else wants to join in...

Frankly it feels like they are charging us twice for what we already paid for once...
I agree it make no sense for EAP owner to pay 5k just so the car reads stop signs.....now if they stuck to the original definition of full FSD yes I'd pay.

• Disagree
Reactions: 9114s

A current customer pays $8k-$11k. The $5k deal was for customers who paid more for their new car than current customers.

Reactions: juanmedina
Sure I do not understand your questions? everything is on the table I posted (date configuration price...). I bought Oct 25-2018, Tesla promised delivery in Dec1st then Dec 31st 2018 but missed the delivery as they were not able to reserve enough space in the boat from Honolulu to Maui. Car was delivered Jan 16 here in Maui. Invoice was reduced by $2000 because price dropped before delivery then Tesla is giving me back $1750 to compensate the Federal credit missed in 2018. I then bought FSD for $2000 March 14-2019.
Now I compared my exact same configuration to the car I could buy today. It will be $250 more now compared to my order from Oct 2018.

I was curious how you got to that number. That’s cool that they gave you $1750 back. I assume you are counting FSD after delivery to $2,000 vs $5,000 now. Then with the $1,750 refund on top of that you did well. So many customers were given different deals.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve

You're not paying the same. Anyone who got AP (vs EAP) will need to pay $7k for FSD if they decide to purchase after delivery. The $5k price is only if you buy with purchase of the car.

A current customer pays $8k-$11k. The $5k deal was for customers who paid more for their new car than current customers.
A current customer pays $3k for EAP, and $5k for FSD. My post is about those of us who already paid $5k for EAP, and whom I feel should not have to pay $5k for FSD when our version of EAP already contains most of today's FSD.

So for the case I am making, a current customer pays $5k for FSD, and we shouldn't have to pay the same $5k for a smaller upgrade to full FSD since we already have most of it...

Reactions: des16
After reading all the TESLA haters and crying babies all over these forums, I wanted to check how much money I lost I was prepared for thousands $ and will have not complained about it as I am so happy with this car, my only regret will have been not buying it sooner.

screen-shot-2019-03-21-at-4-10-27-pm-jpg.23655

RESULT is surprising, I am still ahead with $250 more in my pocket! THANKS TESLA
I was curious how you got to that number. That’s cool that they gave you $1750 back. I assume you are counting FSD after delivery to $2,000 vs $5,000 now. Then with the $1,750 refund on top of that you did well. So many customers were given different deals.

For me FSD was $3K in my account as I bought EAP with the car at $5K. When I saw the promotion for FSD at $2K I was thinking not a bad deal so I bought it March 14-2019 even if no new feature for me now as everything was already in EAP. But I would like to get the stop and light features as well as maybe the HW3 and early access. Also if my small contribution could help TESLA overall to be successful in his mission for all Electric, that's a very good thing. My solar panels are producing more that my need for my home with AC running 365/365 and charging my M3. I am using AP on regular roads every day without major issues.
Screen Shot 2019-03-22 at 3.54.00 PM.jpg