Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Redwood Motorsports Model Y - Ohlins DFV (Performance and Grand Touring Specs) - RE-STOCKED

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks. Debating whether I should cancel my order with Unplugged Performance since they’re not forthcoming with projected delivery times and they seem reluctant to answer certain questions I have. Thinking about ordering the Ohlin R&T kit from Redwood instead.
@Killer Junior What kind of handling and ride are you looking for? By all accounts R&T is very firm. I also saw one report of the height adjustment range seeming strange for the Model Y - maybe because R&T is same kit for 3 and Y.

I would suggest Redwood Motorsports Ohlins DFV kits over the R&T for most people / uses. While the Redwood kit is pricier, I think you get what you pay for, in terms of how well dialed in it is in every way for the car, and being able to pick from 3 firmness levels (GT/Sport/HPDE) and separate kits for 3 and Y. I have the mid-firm Redwood Performance Sport kit on my M3P and it's really spot on, the handling is amazing and extremely well balanced, but not overly stiff for the street at all. It's an ideal "sports sedan" suspension to me. (For reference this car is shared with my wife and only used on the street, no track days.)

@Killer Junior What kind of handling and ride are you looking for? By all accounts R&T is very firm. I also saw one report of the height adjustment range seeming strange for the Model Y - maybe because R&T is same kit for 3 and Y.

I would suggest Redwood Motorsports Ohlins DFV kits over the R&T for most people / uses. While the Redwood kit is pricier, I think you get what you pay for, in terms of how well dialed in it is in every way for the car, and being able to pick from 3 firmness levels (GT/Sport/HPDE) and separate kits for 3 and Y. I have the mid-firm Redwood Performance Sport kit on my M3P and it's really spot on, the handling is amazing and extremely well balanced, but not overly stiff for the street at all. It's an ideal "sports sedan" suspension to me. (For reference this car is shared with my wife and only used on the street, no track days.)
I’m looking to dampen the harsh RQ of the MYP. I’ve run factory performance/sport suspensions in the past and I can live with the stock suspension if I had to but these days I prefer a more cushioned ride. However, I still dig the aesthetics of performance trims. The luxury kit from UP seems to answer the mail for me in that regard. I have no plans to drop it or track it. We talked today and it looks like a mid-January delivery so I’ll just stay with it for now.

Reactions: Kwame and tm1v2
I’m looking to dampen the harsh RQ of the MYP. I’ve run factory performance/sport suspensions in the past and I can live with the stock suspension if I had to but these days I prefer a more cushioned ride. However, I still dig the aesthetics of performance trims. The luxury kit from UP seems to answer the mail for me in that regard. I have no plans to drop it or track it. We talked today and it looks like a mid-January delivery so I’ll just stay with it for now.
Gotcha. If you do end up changing course, I suspect the Redwood GT kit is the very best on the market for that goal. I don't think R&T matches what you're looking for though.

Gotcha. If you do end up changing course, I suspect the Redwood GT kit is the very best on the market for that goal. I don't think R&T matches what you're looking for though.
Changed course and canx my order with UP. Not exploring other options since I can live with the current suspension. Would rather put the money saved towards my future S Plaid.

Reactions: EV Car and tm1v2
DFV setup's could you folks share your preload settings for GT and sport? For example Ohlin RT 2mm front and 20mm rear
thank you in advance
@ChewTypeR For what it's worth, I found Redwood's height vs preload table for Model 3 AWD Performance Sport to be pretty darn accurate, within a few mm at least. If they've published a table for Model Y I would trust it as a starting point for dialing in your preferred height.

I used Redwood's numbers to aim for matching my 2021 M3P's stock height (with the lowered PUP suspension) and basically got right there, as measured from hub/wheel center to fender top, after taking the car off the lift and rolling it back & forth a bit for initial settling.

Then after initial driving I ended up about 2-3mm lower after all settling was done.

(If you want the exact measurements from my Model 3 just let me know - I assume you're asking for Model Y measurements though.)

What do mean by "takes the edge off"? can you please elaborate more on potholes and bad roads with lot of holes.
the ride is more composed. there is less of the jarring / jumble and better energy absorption by the suspension.
You can hear the suspension doing it's work but not feel it thru your butt as much. And it doesn't hit the bump stops.

There's a section of the 405 freeway in West LA near Interstate 10 where my std suspension MYLR feels like it's blown a tire.
The concrete pavement section lengths create a bad harmonic in the chassis.
It was gone according to 'gadgetfreaky', the TMC user who's MYLR was the demo for me.
We rode for an hour all over most conceivable obstacles and pavement issues - manhole covers, pavement repairs, potholes, railroad tracks. Old chipseal.
We did not go out to the 405 section, but I asked him about it and I trust his answer.

If you're going to keep the stock ride height, not lower it, the Ohlins-based setup is the one to get. All the others presume lowering.
But, it's the most expensive. It shows.

Recognize however two things.
One, I know my way around suspensions, having raced Porsche for a decade and tweaked several of my street cars. So I have a calibrated ass-ometer.
Two, there's a limit to what can be achieved with the length of the MY wheelbase. There will always be some rodeway that creates issues.

Before you take a swing at messing with your MY suspension, take a Porsche Cayenne out for a test drive.
It's wheelbase is almost exactly the same as a MY. And it's presumed customer wants a refined but sporty drive.

the ride is more composed. there is less of the jarring / jumble and better energy absorption by the suspension.
You can hear the suspension doing it's work but not feel it thru your butt as much. And it doesn't hit the bump stops.

There's a section of the 405 freeway in West LA near Interstate 10 where my std suspension MYLR feels like it's blown a tire.
The concrete pavement section lengths create a bad harmonic in the chassis.
It was gone according to 'gadgetfreaky', the TMC user who's MYLR was the demo for me.
We rode for an hour all over most conceivable obstacles and pavement issues - manhole covers, pavement repairs, potholes, railroad tracks. Old chipseal.
We did not go out to the 405 section, but I asked him about it and I trust his answer.

If you're going to keep the stock ride height, not lower it, the Ohlins-based setup is the one to get. All the others presume lowering.
But, it's the most expensive. It shows.

Recognize however two things.
One, I know my way around suspensions, having raced Porsche for a decade and tweaked several of my street cars. So I have a calibrated ass-ometer.
Two, there's a limit to what can be achieved with the length of the MY wheelbase. There will always be some rodeway that creates issues.

Before you take a swing at messing with your MY suspension, take a Porsche Cayenne out for a test drive.
Its wheelbase is almost exactly the same as a MY. And its presumed customer wants a refined but sporty drive.
Is Porsche uses Öhlins or you are suggesting it because it’s wheel base is similar ?

Is Porsche uses Öhlins or you are suggesting it because it’s wheel base is similar ?
I'm suggesting it because
1. wheelbase is nearly identical
2. it's probably the best comparative OEM suspension, given the sport/performance orientation of both Cayenne and MY

Of course, test the std McPherson strut suspension, not the air ride suspension.

I have not researched who the Porsche suspension component supplier is.

@ntpphong I've no added sounds at all in the front on mine, for what that's worth. That's even with the pillowball top hats. Hopefully EAS can get what you're hearing sorted out.

From my rear dampers (not springs) I do have occasional soft squeak from large shaft movements. I'm told it's rare but happens on some new DFV dampers and it usually goes away as the seals and everything wear in. Öhlins recommends WD-40 on the shaft (*not* any kind of long-lasting grease!) to quiet it down temporarily until the wearing in happens, and that did help, now I only hear it under very long travel (extension or compression), e.g. angling up a steeply sloped driveway entrance, or a big pothole/dip where you're going to hear a big tire impact anyways in a Model 3. Still I am hoping it truly goes away entirely.

One of my rear pillowball top hats was a little clattery at first, that was fixed by disassembly and reassembly of the top hat itself, the clatter is all gone now. The car feels and handles awesome now. I wrote up my early impressions in the Model 3 Redwood Öhlins thread.
Did the squeaking go away entirely now? what's your take on GT kit overall?

Did the squeaking go away entirely now? what's your take on GT kit overall?
@sagax I have the Performance Sport on our M3P, I haven't experienced the GT kit.

The bird chirp squeak from large movements did go away finally, I haven't noticed it at all lately. I'm not sure when exactly it completely stopped. I think I was still hearing it occasionally in the fall, so it probably took around 6k-9k miles / 5-8 months. It gradually became less and less frequent, it was not a sudden overnight change.

I'll try paying extra attention for it again just in case. I usually pay attention to the noises our cars make though, so I think it's truly gone. It's our older Tesla that's making more suspension noise lately... (with 100% stock suspension)

Reactions: sagax
@sagax Well I take that back slightly. Last night when I tried to get a chirp out of the rear dampers again, I was able to, by coming down fast over sharp, tall speedbumps. I was in a parking lot full of the nasty things (that I hadn't driven through in a while).

Drive as I normally would over such speedbumps and no chirp.

In the 40 mile drive home I think I heard a small chirp from one dip. (From the rear. The fonts have never chirped.)

So, the chirp/squeak is not 100% gone. It is mostly gone though.

Keep in mind I have the optional pillowball top hats. They definitely add a little noise and transmit noises more clearly, exactly as you'd expect (and as Redwood described). I like them but they're not for everyone. If you're concerned about noises, stick with the stock top hats and you should have very stock-like noise levels.

Reactions: sagax
@sagax Well I take that back slightly. Last night when I tried to get a chirp out of the rear dampers again, I was able to, by coming down fast over sharp, tall speedbumps. I was in a parking lot full of the nasty things (that I hadn't driven through in a while).

Drive as I normally would over such speedbumps and no chirp.

In the 40 mile drive home I think I heard a small chirp from one dip. (From the rear. The fonts have never chirped.)

So, the chirp/squeak is not 100% gone. It is mostly gone though.

Keep in mind I have the optional pillowball top hats. They definitely add a little noise and transmit noises more clearly, exactly as you'd expect (and as Redwood described). I like them but they're not for everyone. If you're concerned about noises, stick with the stock top hats and you should have very stock-like noise levels.
Thank you very much for your valuable feedback. As long as it's not going to stick around and settles after few thousand miles and if it's like once in a while thing, then I think I might consider changing my suspension to GT. Just debating whether to upgrade to GT kit or upgrade to 2023 comfort suspension when its available but haven't got concrete details between the two.