Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh Model S gear selector on console issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently got my refresh model S (mar 22 build) vehicle back from the SC and noticed the gear/mode selector on the center console had a white scuff. After looking into it more, it actually appears to be the lettering of the "N" neutral that seems to be showing through or plastic separating out somehow. The top of th "R" is also starting to do this as shown in the pictures.

The car was sitting outside at the service center for about 4 days in 80+ degree weather before getting worked on, but don't think the heat would cause this. Has anyone experienced this on their gear selector? Note that it functions fine and is an aesthetic issue.

20220505_174843~2.jpg

I don't think heat, since the car has Cabin Overheat Protection that comes on when the inside gets over 105° (if the battery is above 20%).
It almost looks like some cleaning solution or wiping may have caused it.
Did they work on that portion of the car?

Note that I turned off overheat protection on my car.

Why would you do this? (I am legitimately curious). Was it to save battery or some other reason?

Getting to your question, it does look like the material they coated the letters with is starting to rub off. Do you use the console gear selectors a lot? I am wondering if this is something that may become an issue with the refresh cars.

I turned off overheat protection to save on battery. I never felt the need to have it on. Rather I just open the windows or turn on the aircon a bit before I get in the car. Otherwise, the overheat would be on constantly given that I park my car outside in the hot sun.

Regarding console controls, I've touched it once since 1 month of ownership lol. Seems to be a defect. In fact, mobile service has already provided estimate to replace part with new hazard control console. I'll report back how that goes next week.

Reactions: mswlogo
I turned off overheat protection to save on battery. I never felt the need to have it on. Rather I just open the windows or turn on the aircon a bit before I get in the car. Otherwise, the overheat would be on constantly given that I park my car outside in the hot sun.

Regarding console controls, I've touched it once since 1 month of ownership lol. Seems to be a defect. In fact, mobile service has already provided estimate to replace part with new hazard control console. I'll report back how that goes next week.
I agree. I shut cabin overheat protection off too. Especially with remote window venting available. Soon it might close automatically with rain detection (but that might take some juice too). Mother Nature works better and cheaper. If it’s super hot I add a sunscreen to windshield.

I agree. I shut cabin overheat protection off too. Especially with remote window venting available. Soon it might close automatically with rain detection (but that might take some juice too). Mother Nature works better and cheaper. If it’s super hot I add a sunscreen to windshield.
I left my windows vented one day recently and the amount of the dust inside the car was terrible. So now I don't bother with COP. I have tinted windows, use a front window shade and a roof one too. At best it just slows down the heat soak. The car does cool off a lot quicker with everything in place and I just vent the windows when I first put on the AC.

I left my windows vented one day recently and the amount of the dust inside the car was terrible. So now I don't bother with COP. I have tinted windows, use a front window shade and a roof one too. At best it just slows down the heat soak. The car does cool off a lot quicker with everything in place and I just vent the windows when I first put on the AC.
I don’t have to much dust but we get loads of pollen. But it’s not to hot when pollen comes around. I have roof and rear hatch shade. I have not got a windshield shade yet. I often try to park in shade when ever I can. Sometimes that backfires with bird poop or sap

My new workplace has a parking tower (with over 30 free to use 22kw AC chargers), needless to say I love it, car is never outside. At my previous work it was in an open parking lot, in summer, temps reached 65Celsius inside car. On those days, I always had the cabin heat protection on, these temps are no good for interior parts. Then, some wonder afterwards why their interior has developed crack noises, go figure.

Reactions: mswlogo
My gear selector which was replaced for the second time on October 1st has been perfect so far. My launch version and second version were identical and both started showing parts of PRND when not activated within a week or two. This third gear selector plastic seemed actually a bit more clear and I could even make out PRND outline in the sun. However it seems to be holding up perfectly compared to the previous material they were using to hide the letters.