Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh S Charging Speeds/Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Hayseed_MS

Spreader of "Endless Non Sequitur"
Jan 19, 2021
Strong Badia
The below chart shows the "older" model S charging speed/time. Anyone know how this will change with the charging upgrades made to the refresh?

1615923805827.png

The below chart shows the "older" model S charging speed/time. Anyone know how this will change with the charging upgrades made to the refresh?

View attachment 645031
Interesting, my June, 2020 Model S gets 44 miles per hour of charge at 48 amps, like a model 3. It got 34 miles per hour of charge when my wall connector was broken and reduced charge rate because of over heating.

There's no indication that the onboard charger has changed, so it will charge at the same power rate.

As @DerbyDave points out that mile per hour figure is a SWAG/average that covers a wide variety of Model S configurations over the years ranging from very efficient to much less than very efficient, so literally, your mileage may vary.

If you do the rough math (ignoring crap like battery buffers, etc), a ~100kwh battery that goes 412 miles consumes goes ~4.12 miles per kWh. So charging at 11.5kw will add 47 miles of rated range in an hour. Subtract at least 10% for overhead and you're at the ~44 miles an hour DerbyDave reports.

Yeah, that table is accurate, but it really is for the OLDer older cars. That 29 mph for the 40A is spot on for my 2014 Model S. But as they went to the 2016 and Raven updates, the cars have been getting a little more efficient, which causes those mph numbers to creep up some.