Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh Suspension Default?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I feel you dawg. Just found out the same after lots of talking to the engineers and two service calls. Nobody knew! Since medium is the most comfortable I have rough roads outside my house so I want it as a default. The S has a toggle switch to default to either med or low. I think this will be fixed through the firm wear over time.

Nope, don't think they will change from LOW on the new X. X eats axles when medium and accel moderate to hard. It's a design flaw with too great CV join angle. Instead of fixing and lowering drive unit when they took 10 months to do the Model X refresh, looks like they just default to low to limit warantee replacements. A 'real' fix (redesign to get the angle on the CV joins lower) was on my wish list for the refresh, but don't think it happened. Didn't get that or MORE range, also on my list, rather went from 371 to 348 miles range due to cost saving by Tesla with a smaller battery.

If you want Medium, just have to have crappy Wisconsin roads. Our X senses our roads are BAD and we get a notice "raising suspension for ride comfort" in certain areas because roads are terrible here. Not where we raised it before or from other Teslas raising there as we have no other Teslas around. (bad roads caused by a certain party being more concerned with lowering taxes than taking care of our infrastructure, but I digress). I guess my X thinks my comfort is more important than it eating axle shafts. Hence why I wanted a "real" fix where I could be at medium for our roads and not have to worry about damaging the car.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jiehan
Not only is it default to low, but on the refresh both my PLAiD and LR have a rake , lower in the front and higher on the rear. My previous P100D and Raven LR had always been even. So More bandaid fixes for the design flaw that causes the shudder