Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those of you who have your new MX’s, mine is making a low but clear high pitch whining sound when I accelerate hard — is this normal? Seems to be coming from the dash, like behind the yoke…. Appreciate any feedback… thx!
Mine does that too!!! Forgot to add that to my list. When I punch it, it’s a high pitch whistle. I’m on insane mode.

Could be similar - I had this same issue on my 2017 MX. The issue was only apparent when going 50-60MPH+. After 5 service visits on the last visit the SC decided to both replace the quarter glass (small triangle glass piece on door closest to the mirror) and double up the weather stripping on the door in the front that runs vertical along where the door hinge is. One of these two items resolved the issue. Might be different on your cars, but worth a shot to look into these areas :)

I am so glad they are keeping the black accent trim that spans the width. On the MS they made that trim piece the same color as the body color which makes it look like an M3/MY.

Range

I fill up to 80% (252 miles at 80% and 314 miles at 100%). The average temperature here for the past week has been in the high 40s when I’m driving. My car is stored in a garage. For a 11-mile commute to the school it sucks up 12. So, it’s not bad. Last night I went out to meet friends for dinner and it was about a 52-mile drive. It consumed 54. Vast majority of that 52-mile drive was on Navigate on Autopilot, if that tells you anything.
Sorry for this dumb question, but when you say it consumed 12 and 54, 12 and 54 what? Surely that cant be battery percentage…right?

Could be similar - I had this same issue on my 2017 MX. The issue was only apparent when going 50-60MPH+. After 5 service visits on the last visit the SC decided to both replace the quarter glass (small triangle glass piece on door closest to the mirror) and double up the weather stripping on the door in the front that runs vertical along where the door hinge is. One of these two items resolved the issue. Might be different on your cars, but worth a shot to look into these areas :)

I am so glad they are keeping the black accent trim that spans the width. On the MS they made that trim piece the same color as the body color which makes it look like an M3/MY.
The noise is at any speed but only when you accelerate fast. Could be going from 10-30 quickly. Or 30 to 80 quickly. Same noise.

Sorry for this dumb question, but when you say it consumed 12 and 54, 12 and 54 what? Surely that cant be battery percentage…right?
It’s miles. Would be nuts to say %. The X tells me I have 252 for example and my trip is 52 miles. In a perfect world I’d have 200 miles left. But I ended up with 198. Not bad estimates.

The noise is at any speed but only when you accelerate fast. Could be going from 10-30 quickly. Or 30 to 80 quickly. Same noise.

It’s miles. Would be nuts to say %. The X tells me I have 252 for example and my trip is 52 miles. In a perfect world I’d have 200 miles left. But I ended up with 198. Not bad estimates.
Gotcha. Right after I hit the post reply button I knew I was D-U-M dumb for saying battery percentage but was too lazy to hit the edit button and delete it. But now it makes sense.

• Funny
Reactions: DelPhonic1 and Stro
Sorry for the long post, but here is my thoughts after the first week of owning the car.

Now that I’ve had my MX LR for a full week, I figured I’d give a review. Let me explain what my previous car was to understand my thinking when I think of my new upgrade. I was able to get an early version of the Model 3 back in 2018 (# 8057) which didn’t contain a lot of the upgrades it received shortly after. As a matter of fact, the performance version wasn’t even in production when I received mine. So, knowing that I had an early version of the Model 3, you can easily see how much of an upgrade this 2022 Model X LR is to me. Don’t get me wrong, I dearly loved my Model 3 as it was very agile and fast enough for me. But I’m not a person that drives fast or even on highways much nowadays. My usual day consists of taking the twins to school in the mornings and then spending the rest of the time working at my home office, if not traveling to another state or country to spend the week there. So, my driving is minimal with a few exceptions every now and then where I visit some friends for drinks and such.

Now that you know what I was driving before receiving my new Model X, let me tell you something… the MX is a dream. It feels very powerful and it’s super quick. I can’t imagine how much faster the Plaid must be because that’s just insane. Let me break up my review by section or part to go a little more in-depth.

Front Doors

The front doors feel soooo heavy. I feel like I should only use the buttons to open/close them and not attempt to do it manually. Just feels wrong. But they work flawlessly with one exception: self-presenting mode. Don’t get me wrong, the self-presentation of the driver’s door is amazing. But the issue I have is that my home office is probably 20 feet or so from the wall that’s close to the MX in my garage. So, if I walk ANYWHERE close to that wall and happen to have my key or phone on me, the door will open and not give any notice. I’ve found my car jamming to music on its own in the garage multiple times now due to the door opening itself without letting me know. I really wish Tesla added a setting to exclude your home from self-presenting mode. This would solve the issue for me. But for now, I don’t use the fob anymore and strictly use the phone.

Falcon Wing Doors

These things are epic. They are one of the main reasons I went with this car. During delivery, I noticed that the driver’s side FWD wouldn’t fully open, even after attempting to leave the button pressed. The delivery advisor asked me to put it in my list of issues. However, when I got home and tried it, they both fully opened without any hiccups. Every 5-6 times that I open those doors, it will open halfway vs the passenger side fully opening. Not sure if others are experiencing this or not, but that’s the only issue I’ve found with it so far. No leaks that I’m aware of or grinding when closing. Lighting is pretty terrible in the rear though when the doors open up. But I think that’s a tesla thing in general as lighting was terrible in my M3 as well.

AC/Heater

I know I can’t truly compare my Model 3 vs Model X in terms of the AC/Heating system as they are different. But I never had issues with air blowing my face/chest when placed correctly. With the Model X, it sometimes does it and sometimes not. Like when I say I want the temperature to be 68 and its 61 outside, it starts blowing hot air at me, even though it’s not cold. Not sure if maybe I just don’t know how to properly use it. I have to lower the temperature to 66 for it to blow normal air when the temperature outside is 47.

Front Seats

Super comfortable. Truly superior to my Model 3’s.

Rear Seats

Comfortable as well, although right now only the twins use them with their boosters. I will say that the boosters have issues buckling their seat belts due to the way the seat belts are. The female part of the seat belt is inside the seat somewhat and the way the booster seat kinda blocks them a little. So, I have to move the seats a little before buckling the kids each time. It’s very annoying, but not a deal breaker. Maybe I just need better boosters? I thought I purchased the best available after research, but maybe these aren’t the best FOR a Model X.

Sound

It’s great. Definitely better than the Model 3’s system. I really wish they had Apple Music as an option for music, but I know that’s coming… just not anytime soon.

Screen(s)

It’s taking me a little bit to get used to having a screen in front of my yoke. I’m used to looking at the big screen for speed and such. Version 11 of the software is super nice. There is zero lag and it’s just beautiful to look at. The map fills the whole screen too. My only complaint is that I wish I could control what the kids are watching from the front screen. As a parent, I really need that control, especially with kids being in booster seats still and not allowed to unbuckle.

Suspension

HUGE upgrade compared to the Model 3 as expected. However, when the front goes over a bump or simply a driveway, you hear a creak in the front passenger side. It’s odd that it’s always there. I will have the SC take a look at it. Also, if I raise the suspension to go up or down, it’s very noisy. Should it be?

Autopilot

I know some may disagree here, but after having been using FSD features for far too long now, Autopilot feels inferior. Like I’m sure it’s great if you’ve never been exposed to FSD, but I’m just used to the simple things. I know… you want to know which features. Let me list each one. A) Green Lights: with Autopilot, you have to press the accelerator every time a light come up if you want the car to continue without stopping. With FSD, it just does it. B) Speed Limits: FSD recognizes the signs and adjusts properly. With Autopilot it’s a hit or miss. I have to continually scroll my wheel to bring the speed up. Down will work properly. C) I miss auto-lane change in city streets. It worked just as good as highways for me and it made my commute to the kids school super easy. Autopilot does not have this. D) FSD had a LOT less phantom braking. Not sure what is up with my MX, but it has far too many phantom braking incidents that it’s making me think I may have a faulty camera.

Range

I fill up to 80% (252 miles at 80% and 314 miles at 100%). The average temperature here for the past week has been in the high 40s when I’m driving. My car is stored in a garage. For a 11-mile commute to the school it sucks up 12. So, it’s not bad. Last night I went out to meet friends for dinner and it was about a 52-mile drive. It consumed 54. Vast majority of that 52-mile drive was on Navigate on Autopilot, if that tells you anything.
Wait 314 miles at 100% thats odd its supposed to be 330 miles with 22's and 348 with 20's at 100%

and they have eliminated the "TESLA on the strip (it appears....)"... so really looks terrible...imho...

• Informative
Reactions: studioloft
whats new about them besides the charge port? I cant see the difference
regarding the charge port, does it now have 2, the Tesla and the CCIS sort of side by side? I prefer the older set up with the smaller charge door, more elegant for sure and we have an adapter for level 2 charging so functionally all this does is allow the car to Level 3 charge at a CCIS, which legacy Tesla's cannot, correct? I can't imagine ever needing to do that!

whats new about them besides the charge port? I cant see the difference
The only difference I see is that the red is more solid, which was a common complaint of the legacy S/X tail lights versus the newer, brighter, less diffuse light design of the 3/Y. On the S, the upgraded tail lights do seem to be a darker color overall. Either the X tail lights aren't upgraded and I jumped the gun, and its just the new badge, or they're doing something different with the taillights on the X, if these are truly upgraded.

Reactions: kingjones94
Sorry for the long post, but here is my thoughts after the first week of owning the car.

Now that I’ve had my MX LR for a full week, I figured I’d give a review. Let me explain what my previous car was to understand my thinking when I think of my new upgrade. I was able to get an early version of the Model 3 back in 2018 (# 8057) which didn’t contain a lot of the upgrades it received shortly after. As a matter of fact, the performance version wasn’t even in production when I received mine. So, knowing that I had an early version of the Model 3, you can easily see how much of an upgrade this 2022 Model X LR is to me. Don’t get me wrong, I dearly loved my Model 3 as it was very agile and fast enough for me. But I’m not a person that drives fast or even on highways much nowadays. My usual day consists of taking the twins to school in the mornings and then spending the rest of the time working at my home office, if not traveling to another state or country to spend the week there. So, my driving is minimal with a few exceptions every now and then where I visit some friends for drinks and such.

Now that you know what I was driving before receiving my new Model X, let me tell you something… the MX is a dream. It feels very powerful and it’s super quick. I can’t imagine how much faster the Plaid must be because that’s just insane. Let me break up my review by section or part to go a little more in-depth.

Front Doors

The front doors feel soooo heavy. I feel like I should only use the buttons to open/close them and not attempt to do it manually. Just feels wrong. But they work flawlessly with one exception: self-presenting mode. Don’t get me wrong, the self-presentation of the driver’s door is amazing. But the issue I have is that my home office is probably 20 feet or so from the wall that’s close to the MX in my garage. So, if I walk ANYWHERE close to that wall and happen to have my key or phone on me, the door will open and not give any notice. I’ve found my car jamming to music on its own in the garage multiple times now due to the door opening itself without letting me know. I really wish Tesla added a setting to exclude your home from self-presenting mode. This would solve the issue for me. But for now, I don’t use the fob anymore and strictly use the phone.

Falcon Wing Doors

These things are epic. They are one of the main reasons I went with this car. During delivery, I noticed that the driver’s side FWD wouldn’t fully open, even after attempting to leave the button pressed. The delivery advisor asked me to put it in my list of issues. However, when I got home and tried it, they both fully opened without any hiccups. Every 5-6 times that I open those doors, it will open halfway vs the passenger side fully opening. Not sure if others are experiencing this or not, but that’s the only issue I’ve found with it so far. No leaks that I’m aware of or grinding when closing. Lighting is pretty terrible in the rear though when the doors open up. But I think that’s a tesla thing in general as lighting was terrible in my M3 as well.

AC/Heater

I know I can’t truly compare my Model 3 vs Model X in terms of the AC/Heating system as they are different. But I never had issues with air blowing my face/chest when placed correctly. With the Model X, it sometimes does it and sometimes not. Like when I say I want the temperature to be 68 and its 61 outside, it starts blowing hot air at me, even though it’s not cold. Not sure if maybe I just don’t know how to properly use it. I have to lower the temperature to 66 for it to blow normal air when the temperature outside is 47.

Front Seats

Rear Seats

Comfortable as well, although right now only the twins use them with their boosters. I will say that the boosters have issues buckling their seat belts due to the way the seat belts are. The female part of the seat belt is inside the seat somewhat and the way the booster seat kinda blocks them a little. So, I have to move the seats a little before buckling the kids each time. It’s very annoying, but not a deal breaker. Maybe I just need better boosters? I thought I purchased the best available after research, but maybe these aren’t the best FOR a Model X.

Sound

It’s great. Definitely better than the Model 3’s system. I really wish they had Apple Music as an option for music, but I know that’s coming… just not anytime soon.

Screen(s)

It’s taking me a little bit to get used to having a screen in front of my yoke. I’m used to looking at the big screen for speed and such. Version 11 of the software is super nice. There is zero lag and it’s just beautiful to look at. The map fills the whole screen too. My only complaint is that I wish I could control what the kids are watching from the front screen. As a parent, I really need that control, especially with kids being in booster seats still and not allowed to unbuckle.

Suspension

HUGE upgrade compared to the Model 3 as expected. However, when the front goes over a bump or simply a driveway, you hear a creak in the front passenger side. It’s odd that it’s always there. I will have the SC take a look at it. Also, if I raise the suspension to go up or down, it’s very noisy. Should it be?

Autopilot

I know some may disagree here, but after having been using FSD features for far too long now, Autopilot feels inferior. Like I’m sure it’s great if you’ve never been exposed to FSD, but I’m just used to the simple things. I know… you want to know which features. Let me list each one. A) Green Lights: with Autopilot, you have to press the accelerator every time a light come up if you want the car to continue without stopping. With FSD, it just does it. B) Speed Limits: FSD recognizes the signs and adjusts properly. With Autopilot it’s a hit or miss. I have to continually scroll my wheel to bring the speed up. Down will work properly. C) I miss auto-lane change in city streets. It worked just as good as highways for me and it made my commute to the kids school super easy. Autopilot does not have this. D) FSD had a LOT less phantom braking. Not sure what is up with my MX, but it has far too many phantom braking incidents that it’s making me think I may have a faulty camera.

Range

What is your experience/opinion of yoke after a week’s use?

not sure if anyone else has had this experience lately but most times I see peoples estimated delivery getting pushed back. Mine was originally 3/9-3/14, as of this morning it’s 3-5-3/11. Pleasant surprise but sucks at the same time because we are closing on a house 3/10 which might complicate things and this delivery range may change again. Checked to make sure it’s the same VIN which it is.

So my EDD was/is 3/9 - 3/13. But today I got a text to schedule an appointment to get the delivery which had appointment slots for 3/13-3-17.

So you *may* have nothing to worry about.

Reactions: Kaos_X

Front Doors

Falcon Wing Doors

AC/Heater

Front Seats

Rear Seats

Sound

Screen(s)

Suspension

Autopilot

Range

Thank you for the detailed post Stro! Have you tried the hi quality Tidal downloads yet to see how good the system sounds with the best source files? Also is noise cancelling available, and if so how do you like it? What sort of tires did they give you? Are they summer?

Reactions: Zach B
What is your experience/opinion of yoke after a week’s use?
Love it. Prefer it over a regular steering wheel. Took me a whole five minutes to get used it.

Wait 314 miles at 100% thats odd its supposed to be 330 miles with 22's and 348 with 20's at 100%
Great point. I’ll ask about this.
Thank you for the detailed post Stro! Have you tried the hi quality Tidal downloads yet to see how good the system sounds with the best source files? Also is noise cancelling available, and if so how do you like it? What sort of tires did they give you? Are they summer?
Summer tires. It’s Texas we are talking about. Lol. Haven’t tried noise canceling yet nor tidal. Will do so tomorrow.
I think you meant to say "it is normal but I hope I'm wrong..."... correct?
No. I mean I think it shouldn’t be making that noise. But hope I’m wrong which would mean it’s normal.