Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can we stop calling it a tilting screen? It doesn't tilt. It is a swivel.

tilt
Verb
To slope or incline (something); to slant

swivel
Verb
To swing or turn, as on a pin or pivot.
Tell Tesla to stop calling it a tilting screen. 🤪
Screenshot_20220506-001701_Samsung Internet.jpg

Tesla wants to charge me $143 for that missing tow receiver port grease retaining plug. Was anyone else missing it? If you don't know and are wondering, remove the door under the rear bumper to get to the tow receiver port. Is there a plastic plug in it or is grease dripping out of it?
Yes. a lot of green grease. $143 is totally unreasonable. Are you sure they quoted the right price? It wouldn‘t be hard to CAD a replacement and 3D print it for $3. But please don’t ask me - im swamped with other things right. Oe.

Reactions: ductordoc
Has the price of PPF gone up?!?! I just had a local installer quote me $12,000 for XPEL Stealth and $9,000 for XPEL Ultimate plus for my Model X. I paid around $5,000 in 2016. At these prices, I might just go without PPF. :confused:

If it help, I paid ~$7K for:

- Matte PPF on the whole car
- Matte PPF/Vinyl ceramic coating on the whole car
- FEYNLAB Wheel and Caliper on the Wheels
- Tint on all the windows

I’m in Austin, for reference.

So today, almost 90 days after taking initial delivery, my Plaid is finally “done”

- took 2 months to get into service center/have parts arrive to align doors properly and replace dashboard top due to frayed stitching. 10 days at SC to complete work.
- Dropped car at OCDetailing in Fremont day after picking up from SC. Full Custom PPF and ceramic. Took 8 days, but holy hell was it worth it!
- Mobile tech visit today to reapply rear Tesla logo and Plaid emblems (removed from car during wrap). Upgraded from Plaid text to Plaid graphic emblem!

It was a process but the car is perfect now - sending everyone patience and good vibes!

View attachment 801046
View attachment 801047
Looks awesome! I did pretty much the same thing as you. Had to get one of the FWDs serviced so it would not rub on the corner when closing. Took it to OCDetailing (but put xpel wrap also) and had the new plaid badge put on instead of lettering. Looks great!

Reactions: AMM89
So today, almost 90 days after taking initial delivery, my Plaid is finally “done”

- took 2 months to get into service center/have parts arrive to align doors properly and replace dashboard top due to frayed stitching. 10 days at SC to complete work.
- Dropped car at OCDetailing in Fremont day after picking up from SC. Full Custom PPF and ceramic. Took 8 days, but holy hell was it worth it!
- Mobile tech visit today to reapply rear Tesla logo and Plaid emblems (removed from car during wrap). Upgraded from Plaid text to Plaid graphic emblem!

It was a process but the car is perfect now - sending everyone patience and good vibes!

View attachment 801046
View attachment 801047
GORGEOUS car! Love the plaid graphic emblem. Would you mind sharing how much the cost was for you to do the Full Custom PPF and ceramic? I was thinking about going there as well (when or if I ever get my X), but wanted to shop for prices as well. Thanks.

I guess competition helps too. When you have a bunch of places that do it they have to compete on price. Xpel is more expensive as well.
Most PPF like Xp and Sun are comparable, its just branding at this point. More important just like anything exterior is prep and installation.

The sentiment that you can get better for less still holds true

I have had Suntek on my race car for years and its still holding up.

If it help, I paid ~$7K for:

- Matte PPF on the whole car
- Matte PPF/Vinyl ceramic coating on the whole car
- FEYNLAB Wheel and Caliper on the Wheels
- Tint on all the windows

I’m in Austin, for reference.

$7k is ouch!! You could drive to LA, stay in a decent hotel and still save some coin.

GORGEOUS car! Love the plaid graphic emblem. Would you mind sharing how much the cost was for you to do the Full Custom PPF and ceramic? I was thinking about going there as well (when or if I ever get my X), but wanted to shop for prices as well. Thanks.

It wasnt cheap - I shopped around and got quotes from *most* of the reputable Bay Area shops, and with demand so high right now, everyone is expensive. Because of that, I indexed hard on the skill and reputation of the shop doing the work, and now that I see the finished product, I'm really glad I did.

All-in, the following was $9k out the door:
- Full prep and paint correction (deep cleaning and polishing whole vehicle exterior)
- Full Custom STEK DYNOshield PPF - cut on vehicle, edges tucked, no visible seams, etc.
- CQuartz Finest Reserve on all paint surfaces, wheels/brake calipers removed and coated. IR cured.
- FlybyForte glass coating on all glass surfaces
- CarPro Dlux trim coating on all plastic trim

Sure, this isnt for everyone and there are lots of other options out there, but I'm super happy with the results. The OCDetailing team was so awesome to work with - I'm sure this wont be my last vehicle they work on. Know lots of others on here have had similar experiences too.