Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Random insight for anyone on the fence about ordering FSD. I have had the beta for a little while now and done a good amount of testing with it and it is no where and I mean no where near ready.. you can’t even begin to imagine how dangerous it is.. if your not keeping the car for 5-10 years i wouldn’t even consider paying for FSD because its easily that far from being ready
I guess I figure that while I’m paying an extra $20k to shave a second off of my 0-60 time, might as well throw another $10k at it for FSD.

In all seriousness, I’m thinking the progress will start picking up speed as they get a lot more data back from the greatly expanded beta pool.

Tesla does not do traditional model years. Just because they were built in 2021 does not mean they will be 2021 model Year. I got my Model Y November 2020 and its a 2021 model year. Tesla switches their model year randomly and not at a fix date. There will be no different resale value based on the build date of Nov/Dec 2020 vs Jan 2021. Tesla makes incremental changes throughout a year so resale value can be impacted for various other reasons
Please reread... I stated "Model Year", not production month or year. A Nov 2021 or Dec 2021 build could be a 2021 or 2022 so I am waiting. Not converting to 6 seats helps ensure it will be a 2022 VIN if its late December or Q1.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: KidsEyeDr
Given the youtube beta testers have shown a lot of really good footage I wonder if that just shows how much improvement there is from FSD team learning an area that’s been driven a lot so they can retrain mistakes.

The new testers are in different cities than the small set from before. Should be interesting to see how well the patches go every few weeks.

• Informative
Reactions: KidsEyeDr and Stro
Given the youtube beta testers have shown a lot of really good footage I wonder if that just shows how much improvement there is from FSD team learning an area that’s been driven a lot so they can retrain mistakes.

The new testers are in different cities than the small set from before. Should be interesting to see how well the patches go every few weeks.

I have FSD Beta too on my M3. Not adding to my X. It has a long way to go. It would fail a driving test if it was a 16 year old taking the test. And I am in the suburbs, not inner city.

Screen Shot 2021-10-25 at 7.24.54 PM.png

Imagine

It's all about perception. Especially to people new to Tesla. If you had the exact same vehicle (MX). One listed as 2021 and the other as 2022, most will perceive the 2022 being newer even though they could have been made 2 months apart. Something so silly, yet so real.
The reality is, if yours was made a day after mine, you might have a significant upgrade or design improvement. The Model Year is yet another old non-first-principles presumptive tradition that Tesla has made outdated.

That is the point. You cannot assume they are the same even within a model year.

Say someone wants to buy a 2018 Model X because they "know" it has MCU 2 that makes everything so much faster. But, Tesla did not switch to MCU 2 until mid-March 2018. Would they as buyers, think you ripped them off when the center display is jerky and slow? And also, how will they feel when Tesla wants $1000 to upgrade the Feb 2018 car to MCU 2?
I mean if you’re buying a used car and don’t do hands-on assessment or get a quality third party assessment, it’s kinda your fault for ending up with a slow display