Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Y is awfully bouncy, I mean real bouncy and not comfortable. I would reconsider that choice or maybe buy a used one so you dont take such a hit when you try and sell it.
Haha I've driven plenty of Ys (friends). My 2017 X is slightly rickety and creaky too. My 2017 def is not like the ravens with the improved air suspension.

I don't mind a little more firm ride and feeling the road more. Anyways will prob give to my inlaws when that time comes. : )

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Hi all! Fun to read all the discussions. I’ve set my payment method to be Cash and confirmed too early (thinking that I can come back and change it). But it turns out I can’t! I prefer using a Bank of America car loan.

Will I have a chance to still use a loan before delivery? I emailed Fremont order support last week but no response so far :(

Thanks!
Wait till you get then VIN then you will have to call the 888 number to change that. I've done that a few times myself.

I just ordered a model y performance. Just not enough of a difference in range right now to make the extra 40k worth it. Gonna drive it for a year or two and wait for model x with tabless or at least 450 miles of range. I get this feeling I’m buying in right before another leap in range… I always happen to do that.
I have driven a brand new Y around a lot and I can tell you that at least for me, range is not the intended place to separate these cars. The X is not intended to be a longer range version of the Y. Instead, the Y is intended to be a cheaper, smaller, and more approachable version of the X.

The Y is a small vehicle with a bumpy ride that serves a different segment from the X. I have never been in a refresh X but even the older versions are on a very different playing field from a Y. I’m always surprised when people compare them. They are in a totally different class from each other in size and features.

Hi all! Fun to read all the discussions. I’ve set my payment method to be Cash and confirmed too early (thinking that I can come back and change it). But it turns out I can’t! I prefer using a Bank of America car loan.

Will I have a chance to still use a loan before delivery? I emailed Fremont order support last week but no response so far :(

Thanks!
Go on Tesla.com , when the chat bubble pops up just click it and chat with them. They can open up your financing options again. They were very helpful in opening up my trade in option

I have driven a brand new Y around a lot and I can tell you that at least for me, range is not the intended place to separate these cars. The X is not intended to be a longer range version of the Y. Instead, the Y is intended to be a cheaper, smaller, and more approachable version of the X.

The Y is a small vehicle with a bumpy ride that serves a different segment from the X. I have never been in a refresh X but even the older versions are on a very different playing field from a Y. I’m always surprised when people compare them. They are in a totally different class from each other in size and features.
I disagree. I think there should be some difference in range. I think the 50 mile difference they used to have made sense.

All the other things you mention, I understand and totally agree with, I own one. And loved it enough to buy another and got rid of our model 3. Original plan was for two Xs side by side in garage and CT later. Comparisons make sense, if I'm spending 100k plus on a car, I want to know how it is better than the other options. And honestly, I think the perf Y is a good deal right now.

I love the FWDs, the space for my family with 3 kids. I'm a huge fan of the refreshed interior, not a huge fan of fitting the model Y/3 chin onto the X, looks fine on the S but has a slightly odd look to me on the X. The interior took a step forward, I'm just waiting for the batteries to take a step forward as well. My 2017 X is currently throttled with supercharging, I want a system that won't throttle as it gets old and range at 450 miles plus like ive mentioned in an earlier post. Looking at my wishlist, I really think I'm waiting for tabless to come to X. Given cell constraints and the product line I might be waiting a bit though.

But overall, the refresh X is still a fantastic car and you won't be wrong buying in now. I'm just going to wait 2-3 years.. even if its a slightly more uncomfortable car for my family in that timeframe... but still fun to drive.

I disagree. I think there should be some difference in range. I think the 50 mile difference they used to have made sense.

All the other things you mention, I understand and totally agree with, I own one. And loved it enough to buy another and got rid of our model 3. Original plan was for two Xs side by side in garage and CT later. Comparisons make sense, if I'm spending 100k plus on a car, I want to know how it is better than the other options. And honestly, I think the perf Y is a good deal right now.

I love the FWDs, the space for my family with 3 kids. I'm a huge fan of the refreshed interior, not a huge fan of fitting the model Y/3 chin onto the X, looks fine on the S but has a slightly odd look to me on the X. The interior took a step forward, I'm just waiting for the batteries to take a step forward as well. My 2017 X is currently throttled with supercharging, I want a system that won't throttle as it gets old and range at 450 miles plus like ive mentioned in an earlier post. Looking at my wishlist, I really think I'm waiting for tabless to come to X. Given cell constraints and the product line I might be waiting a bit though.

But overall, the refresh X is still a fantastic car and you won't be wrong buying in now. I'm just going to wait 2-3 years.. even if its a slightly more uncomfortable car for my family in that timeframe... but still fun to drive.
I think it’s fair to want more range for your money. However, I don’t think it will be point of comparison 2-3 years from now just like it isn’t point of comparison for ICE vehicles today. As super chargers become more prevalent and charging is faster, range will become less of a topic.

As an example, go check out the pages for the GLE and GLS Mercedes. You will be hard pressed to find their ranges let alone a comparison between the two on that point.

To me, this is why the plaid+ was cancelled. The # of people that actually need 500 versus 400 miles in range (and can’t be served by chargers) is super small. Instead of investing in range, I think Tesla will invest in their charging network,

I think it’s fair to want more range for your money. However, I don’t think it will be point of comparison 2-3 years from now just like it isn’t point of comparison for ICE vehicles today. As super chargers become more prevalent and charging is faster, range will become less of a topic.

As an example, go check out the pages for the GLE and GLS Mercedes. You will be hard pressed to find their ranges let alone a comparison between the two on that point.

To me, this is why the plaid+ was cancelled. The # of people that actually need 500 versus 400 miles in range (and can’t be served by chargers) is super small. Instead of investing in range, I think Tesla will invest in their charging network,
Between the new cell chemistry and charging speed of the new pack(compared to the pre-raven packs) it really will make a huge jump in usability for road trips. Especially because of the new charge curve of the updated pack on the refreshed S/X.

Disagree, I think plaid+ was canceled due to delays in tabless as well as being cell constrained. Add in a desire to simplify product line to maximize efficiency.

Part of the problem is that even though current LR S is rated 400, real world especially if traveling along 80mph freeways (really going 90+) you take a severe hit.

Also if you want to tow, want to go more into the deep country, tow up altitude, tow in cold or snow, or use accessories that affect your aero, range still has a big impact. I still meticulously plan trips especially when heading off major interstates. I still think with EV people will look for real world range to be at least 400 miles (we aren't there with LR S). Most ICE cars are at 400-500, the Prius is rated for 500-600 on one tank. ICE cars in general are less sensitive to aero and driving at high speed and given the higher range and lower time "charging" its a non issue for them.

But again, all this is personal preference.

Agreed. I just rented a 2021 MY on Turo and was shocked at how different it felt driving. My 2016 MX with 130,000 miles is Far more luxurious and feels more sturdy. And, oh! No matter how hard I mashed the brake pedal on the MY, the darned door wouldn't close for me! 😂 I had to - get this - lean Out Of The Car to reach the door and PHYSICALLY pull it closed!

I just noticed today that in EUR (Netherlands):

1. The price went up with 190 EUR (I paid 114.800 vs 114.990 now) (not sure when that happened tho, could have been some time ago already)
2. The price difference between standard and Plaid is now 'only' 5000 EUR (119.990 vs 114.990)

Looking at the US pricetags, it seems that the SR Model X is way more expensive over here, but the Plaid is pretty much the same. And I hear you thinking 'well, why not go for plaid then ?!'

Well I want the (already diminished) range over the 1.x second faster acceleration time that it offers, would be my main answer. On top of that; that 5k difference would pay for a nice wrap and then some AND it seems that Plaid is getting less love than the 'standard' MX (judging from this thread wrt delivery timing indications):)

Reactions: c_v_h

Thanks!
You will be able to change it. Just contact a local service advisor when you get your VIN.

I want a system that won't throttle as it gets old and range at 450 miles plus like ive mentioned in an earlier post. Looking at my wishlist, I really think I'm waiting for tabless to come to X.
Me too, but we are replacing the early 2016 X with this refresh and will trade up if and when the 500 mile version is released. Life’s too short and the price appreciation doesn’t hurt either.

Haha I've driven plenty of Ys (friends). My 2017 X is slightly rickety and creaky too. My 2017 def is not like the ravens with the improved air suspension.

I don't mind a little more firm ride and feeling the road more. Anyways will prob give to my inlaws when that time comes. : )
I completely solved the 2017 MX creak sound.

The wing doors have a plastic trim piece that rubs on the body of the car (in my case, wore through the paint and I could see shiny metal.) The picture shows the rear of the left wing door. Open the door and look for a wear mark on the paint around where I am pointing. Just trim a little (approximately 1/4" x 6" long) of the plastic (this is not the soft rubber seal... it is the hard plastic part).

My service center tech showed me this trick. Said they even changed that piece in later model years.)

Attachments

• 20211104_083015.jpg
    20211104_083015.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 72
  • Helpful
Reactions: lauraut