Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got call from Fremont. They offered a six seater but did not guarantee this year’s delivery. Plus what’s strange is the guy said upgrading to six will trigger full new price.

That’s strange.

Clearly he mentioned that priority is for 6 seaters this year. Was not very encouraging to switch and suggested to wait it out

April 10th Order

It feels like that 6 seater conversation without full price change is available to orders March n early

• Informative
Reactions: TJPDX
I just got call from Fremont. They offered a six seater but did not guarantee this year’s delivery. Plus what’s strange is the guy said upgrading to six will trigger full new price.

That’s strange.

Clearly he mentioned that priority is for 6 seaters this year. Was not very encouraging to switch and suggested to wait it out

April 10th Order

It feels like that 6 seater conversation without full price change is available to orders March n early
I can’t imagine that’s what was meant to be offered. It would be beyond insulting — not to mention outright dumb — to think anyone would change from their original seat configuration at Tesla’s request and therein incur a 15k price increase. Not even Tesla would intentionally treat their customers so poorly.

Reactions: TJPDX
I have driven a brand new Y around a lot and I can tell you that at least for me, range is not the intended place to separate these cars. The X is not intended to be a longer range version of the Y. Instead, the Y is intended to be a cheaper, smaller, and more approachable version of the X.

The Y is a small vehicle with a bumpy ride that serves a different segment from the X. I have never been in a refresh X but even the older versions are on a very different playing field from a Y. I’m always surprised when people compare them. They are in a totally different class from each other in size and features.
Our experience exactly...

The limiting factor on range are people's bladders and stomachs. Telling a family to hold it for another 100 miles is never a people pleaser. And a car full of hangry people is not a good time.

I say this as a former plane owner that landed well short of the plane's range on numerous occasions to meet family needs.
Given my extensive experience with driving long distance the model X, I would disagree (my family can really hold it!!! Nahhh, just kidding here...)

Seriously, the issue is not how long you can hold it... it really relates to:

1- A single day trip (say 250 miles total for the day: eg., LA to San Diego and back)... multiple stops, dog mode for an 1-2 hours. I want to make the entire day without range anxiety; will charge at home and not waste time looking or planning a supercharger stop.

2- A long trip, where I typically am driving 400 to 500 miles in one direction in a single day. On this type of trip, I just want to charge once in the middle of the day, and again overnight. Because of supercharger location and my personal timing (lunch bathroom break, etc.) are not in the exact middle of my drive, we need a certain 300+ mile range (not EPA rating, consider temperature, elevation change, winds, realistic range, arrive at supercharger with a 15-20% reserve).

My 2017 X has 60,000 miles and had an EPA range rating of 295. Now, it has degraded to 277 miles. Realistically, we can drive about 220-240 miles between charges.

My new, future, non-existent, soon to appear, 2022 MX has an EPA rating of 351... based on my experience, I expect a practical usable range of approximately 290 when brand new and possibly 270 when it will be at 60k miles

Please note that I consider 60,000 miles as a single point fair representation of range over life of vehicle... meaning, it will be even worse when my car has 150k-200k miles.

Given my extensive experience with driving long distance the model X, I would disagree (my family can really hold it!!! Nahhh, just kidding here...)

Seriously, the issue is not how long you can hold it... it really relates to:

1- A single day trip (say 250 miles total for the day: eg., LA to San Diego and back)... multiple stops, dog mode for an 1-2 hours. I want to make the entire day without range anxiety; will charge at home and not waste time looking or planning a supercharger stop.

2- A long trip, where I typically am driving 400 to 500 miles in one direction in a single day. On this type of trip, I just want to charge once in the middle of the day, and again overnight. Because of supercharger location and my personal timing (lunch bathroom break, etc.) are not in the exact middle of my drive, we need a certain 300+ mile range (not EPA rating, consider temperature, elevation change, winds, realistic range, arrive at supercharger with a 15-20% reserve).

My 2017 X has 60,000 miles and had an EPA range rating of 295. Now, it has degraded to 277 miles. Realistically, we can drive about 220-240 miles between charges.

My new, future, non-existent, soon to appear, 2022 MX has an EPA rating of 351... based on my experience, I expect a practical usable range of approximately 290 when brand new and possibly 270 when it will be at 60k miles

Please note that I consider 60,000 miles as a single point fair representation of range over life of vehicle... meaning, it will be even worse when my car has 150k-200k miles.
Based on the numbers you listed it seems like your projected trips and estimated range 2022 MX range (270 miles with 60K miles) match up or are close to matching up.

Reactions: Elixir
It's my first post here. Long time lurker though. I ordered my white exterior/black interior 6 seater 20" Long Range Model X on December 2020. I think I saw someone posted that he got VIN and he ordered on January 2021. How come I didn't get VIN nor any updates from Tesla? Is there certain configuration that will be delivered first?

Reactions: TWENT2
Based on the numbers you listed it seems like your projected trips and estimated range 2022 MX range (270 miles with 60K miles) match up or are close to matching up.
Definitely getting better at 270... but I still think I would be happier at 300+. For example, I had to modify a sight seeing trip in Utah because of a combination of range limits and supercharger station locations...

When I ordered the car in January 2021, I was thinking in terms of 372 miles... then, it came out at 360... then updated to 351... and that's a car that is supposedly getting more efficient.

My only hope is that 351 is a more real life number as compared to 372.

Reactions: Gwgan
Definitely getting better at 270... but I still think I would be happier at 300+. For example, I had to modify a sight seeing trip in Utah because of a combination of range limits and supercharger station locations...

When I ordered the car in January 2021, I was thinking in terms of 372 miles... then, it came out at 360... then updated to 351... and that's a car that is supposedly getting more efficient.

My only hope is that 351 is a more real life number as compared to 372.
This is all because there are not enough chargers and charging isn’t fast enough. If they were as prevalent as normal gas stations then the need for 400-500 mile ranges is much less. It appears to me that this is the path that Tesla is taking. Their plan is to rapidly increasing chargers by opening up the available customers to non-Teslas. They are also clearly working to increase charging speed. They don’t seem to be working much on increasing range.