Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I posted a little bit ago asking about the size of the floor all weather liners compared to the pre-refresh. I bought the liners before this big delay hit and then realized they probably weren't going to fit.

Just for closure on the topic, I wrote to tesla costumer service explaining the situation. Returns are suppose to be initiated within 45 days of purchase. But they sent me return slips for all the liners i ordered and will refund me once i return them. I was pleasantly surprised, kinda figured I would be out the money and need try and re-sell them. This might help anyone that made the same mistake

I posted a little bit ago asking about the size of the floor all weather liners compared to the pre-refresh. I bought the liners before this big delay hit and then realized they probably weren't going to fit.

Just for closure on the topic, I wrote to tesla costumer service explaining the situation. Returns are suppose to be initiated within 45 days of purchase. But they sent me return slips for all the liners i ordered and will refund me once i return them. I was pleasantly surprised, kinda figured I would be out the money and need try and re-sell them. This might help anyone that made the same mistake
Did you find a definitive answer on this? I was curious about it, especially now that I’ll get X in the heart of MN winter, I wanted I have winter mats available right away.

I bank there as well and was planning on using them, but in recent past, I have applied for some loans through them and it is painfully difficult to get through to a human and their turnaround time is terrible. That’s what makes this whole process all that more distressing. I don’t want to apply prematurely and have to reapply. But, I want enough time to make sure I get it done. Not knowing anything about delivery estimates and therefore not knowing how to deal with the banks is really frustrating.
Who does Tesla partner with for financing? Bigger banks? I haven't applied yet and won't until I have a VIN. Thx

Reactions: lsds and TWENT2
My Plaid audience is pretty small, but I know there are a few of us out there. Supposedly, the Plaid X is wait to clear some "regulatory" hurdles of some sort. I wonder what that could be? Maybe a car this big isn't supposed to be as fast as it is purported to be? Maybe they need to prove to some entity it's safe?

What are your theories?
I ordered Plaid as well. I have absolutely no information, but my theory is it has to do with the carbon fiber-sleeved rotor. I think the sleeve is strong enough for the Model S, but not strong enough for the additional weight of the Model X. Just a complete guess. The extra motor and the sleeve are the only major differences between the Plaid and LR. My other guess is they are not able to meet the performance specs published for the Plaid, so they are continuing to tweak it to get it close before starting mass production.

Multiple Plaids have eaten sh!t into a house/pole/tree because drivers are not able to brain fast enough

I would expect regulators to take a hard look at anything that can go low 10's fast with 7 people aboard

But this is America where we yeet first and ask questions at the funeral, so it's probably some VIN processor at NHTSA has been out on sick leave

My Plaid audience is pretty small, but I know there are a few of us out there. Supposedly, the Plaid X is wait to clear some "regulatory" hurdles of some sort. I wonder what that could be? Maybe a car this big isn't supposed to be as fast as it is purported to be? Maybe they need to prove to some entity it's safe?

What are your theories?

I know there used to be problems with “the shudder” so I wonder if testing revealed the plaid motors are too powerful for some of the other parts to handle? Or whether they want more endurance testing to prove that you won’t just get breakdowns after a certain number of plaid launches? I don’t know, just speculation really. I wouldn’t have thought regulatory stuff took that long since we‘ve not seen other models or updates delayed by months on the initial rollout.

BTW this is a nice thread — chicken soup for those stuck in line — but not the biggest/most active. That award I expect goes to the investor’s round table (currently on page 15000+).

• Love
Reactions: TWENT2
I ordered Plaid as well. I have absolutely no information, but my theory is it has to do with the carbon fiber-sleeved rotor. I think the sleeve is strong enough for the Model S, but not strong enough for the additional weight of the Model X. Just a complete guess. The extra motor and the sleeve are the only major differences between the Plaid and LR. My other guess is they are not able to meet the performance specs published for the Plaid, so they are continuing to tweak it to get it close before starting mass production.

As another Plaid reservation holder, fingers crossed that it's not because of drivetrain shudder with that massive power. Haven't seen any mention of this issue from the few Refresh LR owners yet, so hopefully it is a non issue now.

• Funny
Reactions: lsds
As another Plaid reservation holder, fingers crossed that it's not because of drivetrain shudder with that massive power. Haven't seen any mention of this issue from the few Refresh LR owners yet, so hopefully it is a non issue now.
If I were Tesla, I would shitcan the "very high" and "High" settings on the X. Why make it something it's not. At best it's a Model S Outback off-road. Just let Vaportruck do trucky stuff. It is odd to me that they find so many places to streamline their cars for ease of manufacturing and development, and then let us have this little button on the screen that breaks the axles if we use it too much, with all the dev time it takes to make sure it worked right* before sale. There must be like one guy in Alberta who always has his in Very High all winter and they want him to keep buying cars, lol

*worked once

I will probably order another X, one day. Like everyone who has one we love the car but the company need to get their ish together.

Every time it does something weird I pull the dread pirate roberts thing on it. Goodnight hedwig, sleep well, I'll most likely sell you in the morning

Last edited: