Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not going into "defend Tesla" mode here, but I can see them using every battery pack available to minimize waste for a vehicle that is to be used as a demonstrator. These cars lead a hard life and then before they show the effects of the test drives, Tesla sells them to once again recycle. This is a used car in every sense of the word. As a win-win, Tesla is able to recoup and recycle, and someone gets a "newish" car at a steep discount. I only think this is a problem due to the "small print" aspect. Yes, communication isn't the strong suit...
I get what you're saying but I wouldn't do it without Tesla extending the warranty above and beyond the typical warranty. We're still in the infancy of BEVs and upwards of 4 year old packs with a limited 8 year warranty means what? Do you now only get 4 years on the pack? Will they honor replacing the pack if it fails within the warranty period? It's sketchy.

Reactions: Elixir
Not going into "defend Tesla" mode here, but I can see them using every battery pack available to minimize waste for a vehicle that is to be used as a demonstrator. These cars lead a hard life and then before they show the effects of the test drives, Tesla sells them to once again recycle. This is a used car in every sense of the word. As a win-win, Tesla is able to recoup and recycle, and someone gets a "newish" car at a steep discount. I only think this is a problem due to the "small print" aspect. Yes, communication isn't the strong suit...

There's really no discount. Tesla wants to **** over buyers.

No kidding. Old chemistry, unsure of the durability of the pack would be a big issue. Tells me to read every single line of fine print and inspect the vehicle thoroughly before committing.
Its not like they did bait and switch they cleary tell people that they used 2017 pacs. I am sure all ICE vehicles have components that are much older then the model year when they discover overages of parts. No story to me

This is some scary stuff, I'm hoping and praying this is not the case with my $130K car.
That message is a stock message on every used Tesla now. Doesn't matter if its a used 2018 M3 or a "demo" 2021 M3. Same message that says pack could be as old as 2017. Its just to avoid a used car buying suing for the range not meeting the new car range published on the EPA sticker.

No. If you change lanes while on AP, it disengages and you feel the lane keep resistance.

This is my biggest feature/change request. I’m not looking for AUTO lane change on AP. I just want it to pause AP when you put the blinker on, let you change lanes manually, and then return to AP automatically. The re-engaging AP every time you change lanes is frustrating.

Thanks. Heard you had to disengage, guess it's not too bad, but would have preferred they would have left it as it was previously.
It's only with the 'free' Basic Autopilot that you have to disengage AP when changing lanes. With EAP or FSD Autopilot, the car will automatically change lanes when you use the turn signals. The car can also change lanes automatically if you enable Navigate on Autopilot.

Tesla intentionally went bare-bones with Basic Autopilot, greatly limiting its functionality, in order to give buyers a preview of AP functionality. While Basic Autopilot is better than nothing, I think it gives lots of people the wrong impression as many think that's as good as AP gets. They then bad-mouth AP or say how "limited" it is compared to autosteer functionality offered by other manufacturers.

As I've mentioned before, I think auto lane change is great, especially on road trips. I wish the EAP package was still offered in the United States (as it is still offered in some countries). If they aren't going to bring EAP back to the US, I would be willing to pay for auto lane change functionality.

Just venting but still No VIN and I’m close to tapping out and either waiting for the 4680 version or looking at lower alternatives. Question for everyone - if they bring Austin up with structural 4680 packs in a model Y v2, providing much greater range, lower cost, potentially much better build quality, better non water based paint quality, etc. than we are paying now for X’s, can you honestly say you’ll be happy with your decision or will it sour you on Tesla like I think it would me? Yeah we get a more usable third row and increased width with an X but a v2 Y sounds like it could be an X killer again until the X gets its next improvements and with current ramp issues, who knows if that’ll ever be possible.
It's a fair thought, but if Germany is any indication to how Texas will go live, Germany isn't doing new 4680s out of the gates. And at start Germany will only be producing current white/black colors before they roll out new paint features/colors.

So in all likelihood, you could get a Germany or Texas built Y that matches the same features/specs and 2170 batteries at a Fremont Y for the next year(s).

So, pause AP when you turn on the blinker. That is an acceptable solution. However, given my preference, I would like it to do what it is doing now, put the blinker on and it moves into the lane keeping AP on.

Bit of history and context might be helpful for some readers...

Back in the days of AP1, there was basically only one set of Autopilot features, which included TACC, autosteer, auto-lane change (which is the feature being discussed here), summon, autopark, and maybe a few other things. Some of these features were available in the initial software rollout in October 2015 and some were developed later, but you either had the entire package or nothing. It was either called "Tech Package with Autopilot" or "Autopilot Convenience Features" depending on when you ordered. I think it shows up now as "Highway Autopilot" in my car (2015 S85D).

Starting with AP2, you could either have no Autopilot, Enhanced Autopilot (roughly the same as AP1 Autopilot), or FSD (which for a long time added nothing). The key here was that none of the autosteer, etc. features were included in the base configuration.

Nowadays (not sure starting when), all Teslas come with some basic Autopilot capability included (now called Autopilot), which gives basically TACC and autosteer. All of the other functionality, including auto-lane change, NOA, Summon, Smart Summon, etc. is rolled into the FSD package (whether you're in the "FSD beta" or not).

So those of us coming from much older Teslas, it looks like today's Autopilot package does less than AP1 Autopilot did. We have to buy/subscribe to the FSD package (even if we don't care about "FSD beta" or the FSD feature) to get things like auto-lane change, summon, etc. that used to be included.

Hope that helps,

Bruce.

My father in law drove from NorCal to Los Angeles and back on Mon-Tue. He counted 15 semis with Tesla cars on them and not 1 model X. @Stro @Wooly1 and others I think we are gonna be here for a while. I was really hoping being close to Fremont we would sneak in an end of year delivery.

Just got confirmed delivery of 12/23 in NYC. Pick up is set for 12/27. The car must have been well on its way when I got my VIN.

Quick recap: ordered 10/20/20 for a January ‘21 delivery. Was pushed back farther and farther each month. Consistently my SA didn’t respond or was uniformed. Called the Fremont number two weeks ago and was told with conviction my car was due in May. I asked how sure he was and he said if it’s in my system it’s 100% certain. Got my VIN on 12/20, 14 months from my order date. My EDD said FEB up until I selected my pickup day.

The moral of my story is everything is meaningless and no one knows anything.

Last edited:
Just got confirmed delivery of 12/23 in NYC. Pick up is set for 12/27. The car must have been well on its way when I got my VIN.

Quick recap: ordered 10/20/20 for a January ‘21 delivery. Was pushed back farther and farther each month. Consistently my SA didn’t respond or was uniformed. Called the Fremont number two weeks ago and was told with conviction my car was due in May. I asked how sure he was and he said if it’s in my system it’s 100% certain. Got my VIN on 12/20, 26 months from my order date. My EDD said FEB up until I selected my pickup day.

My calculator is about to explode 🧮🤯

Last edited:

Quick recap: ordered 10/20/20 for a January ‘21 delivery. Was pushed back farther and farther each month. Consistently my SA didn’t respond or was uniformed. Called the Fremont number two weeks ago and was told with conviction my car was due in May. I asked how sure he was and he said if it’s in my system it’s 100% certain. Got my VIN on 12/20, 26 months from my order date. My EDD said FEB up until I selected my pickup day.

Wait pause how is that 26 months? Lol either Im an idiot or your math is off 🥴 you ordered 10/20/20 would that beeeee 14 months?

I just spoke with the Tesla virtual store person. He is super helpful, but there is only so much that he can do.

How would you feel if you found out that Tesla had assigned a VIN and then removed it twice in two months? :eek:

1st VIN: Nov 30, Removed Dec 2.
2st VIN: Dec 11, Removed Dec 12.

And then your reservation number is now unassigned to any team at Tesla. :D

The good news is my account marked as "Ready to take delivery as soon as possible"

I guess, Tomorrow (a good day for me, I think) I'll go to the store and have them assign me a salesperson to look after my reservation.
Does you NVPA still have the 1st vin assigned on 11/30, or did they update to the 2nd vin? I still have 1st vin on paperwork and second vin in app and under my car.

Quick recap: ordered 10/20/20 for a January ‘21 delivery. Was pushed back farther and farther each month. Consistently my SA didn’t respond or was uniformed. Called the Fremont number two weeks ago and was told with conviction my car was due in May. I asked how sure he was and he said if it’s in my system it’s 100% certain. Got my VIN on 12/20, 14 months from my order date. My EDD said FEB up until I selected my pickup day.

Thanks for this and congrats on getting close to delivery. This gives me a sliver of hope. Last person I talked to at Fremont said my car (ordered 6 seater Jan 23)is showing March (my EDD shows Feb). I’d like to not look at the app for updates but since a lot of folks have received VIN’s without getting a text or email I keep hitting the app like a lab rat looking for a hit.