Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got confirmed delivery of 12/23 in NYC. Pick up is set for 12/27. The car must have been well on its way when I got my VIN.

Quick recap: ordered 10/20/20 for a January ‘21 delivery. Was pushed back farther and farther each month. Consistently my SA didn’t respond or was uniformed. Called the Fremont number two weeks ago and was told with conviction my car was due in May. I asked how sure he was and he said if it’s in my system it’s 100% certain. Got my VIN on 12/20, 14 months from my order date. My EDD said FEB up until I selected my pickup day.

The moral of my story is everything is meaningless and no one knows anything.
Congrats! Great to hear about NY deliveries!

Reactions: GatoMX
My father in law drove from NorCal to Los Angeles and back on Mon-Tue. He counted 15 semis with Tesla cars on them and not 1 model X. @Stro @Wooly1 and others I think we are gonna be here for a while. I was really hoping being close to Fremont we would sneak in an end of year delivery.
I was really hoping the same thing. But the Vins are slow coming so I suspect we will be in January 😭

Bit of history and context might be helpful for some readers...

Back in the days of AP1, there was basically only one set of Autopilot features, which included TACC, autosteer, auto-lane change (which is the feature being discussed here), summon, autopark, and maybe a few other things. Some of these features were available in the initial software rollout in October 2015 and some were developed later, but you either had the entire package or nothing. It was either called "Tech Package with Autopilot" or "Autopilot Convenience Features" depending on when you ordered. I think it shows up now as "Highway Autopilot" in my car (2015 S85D).

Starting with AP2, you could either have no Autopilot, Enhanced Autopilot (roughly the same as AP1 Autopilot), or FSD (which for a long time added nothing). The key here was that none of the autosteer, etc. features were included in the base configuration.

Nowadays (not sure starting when), all Teslas come with some basic Autopilot capability included (now called Autopilot), which gives basically TACC and autosteer. All of the other functionality, including auto-lane change, NOA, Summon, Smart Summon, etc. is rolled into the FSD package (whether you're in the "FSD beta" or not).

So those of us coming from much older Teslas, it looks like today's Autopilot package does less than AP1 Autopilot did. We have to buy/subscribe to the FSD package (even if we don't care about "FSD beta" or the FSD feature) to get things like auto-lane change, summon, etc. that used to be included.

Hope that helps,

Bruce.
Very good explanation! For some of us who ordered w/o FSD, we lose the lane change feature, auto park and summon. Also lose free Supercharging but we get greater range, faster charging and a new car, etc. Is it a good trade-off? All depends on what you want.

That's ok. I've found a nice comfy corner in this forum to set up my box and sleep there. I'll put a hat by it soon for donations. Maybe start playing a banjo.
For those who like looking at meaningless stats, here are a few, based on our small (313 entries) data base.

There are 83, US, LR 6-seater orders, placed prior to, or during, the first quarter that have not been assigned a VIN. 15 have an order date of 2020, 36 have a January date, 22 a February date and 10 a March date.

Nearly 50% (41) are deliveries to the West Coast. (28 CA, 2 OR, 3 WA, 3 AZ, 2 NV, 1 UT, 2 CO).

North Central 6 (2 MN, 1 WI and 3 IL) and Central 5 (3 OH, 2 TN).

Northeast and East 17 (3 PA, 3 NY, 6 NJ, 2 MD 1 MA, 1 VI, 1 NC).

South 14 (4 GA, 5 FL, 5 TX).

Now we can come to our own predictions about VINs and delivery dates. ;)

The X isn’t getting “next improvements” for years. They can barely ramp the current improvements

I know you’re frustrated but the Y and X are completely different vehicles, and the X will be worth it
Y is also being delayed significantly. My friend had a November 2021 estimate delivery date and is currently on March 2022. It has moved around a lot more than my X date.

You’re gonna be waiting a really long time for any Tesla with 4680 batteries. And the Y will never be close to the X, just like the 3 will never be close to the S. Now, the Y may be fine for someone’s needs but that’s entirely different.

And it’s always interesting when people think they’re going to get another manufacturer’s EV when they all have long waiting lists.
Not all of them - Polestar has vehicles available now (source: 2 friends recently purchased a Polestar 2 in the Bay Area and Austin with no wait).

It’s a story to me! I wouldn’t touch one of those cars. If tesla felt it needed to put a label to cover it’s ass then the customer is the one taking all the risk. In addition I agree with other commenters, they should clearly define if the warranty is going to start at 2017 or the day of purchase. Also practically paying full price and assuming all the risk not how I play. I’d be a hard pass on these even if I’ve been waiting a year.
I guess that is my point, tesla isnt selling these to existing reservations they are telling you the situation and then you can purchase them if you want. No different than buying off the lot, only thing is they arent discounting them because they dont have to. The deal is getting it now vs waiting. I would agree it is a story if your order from 6 months ago all of a sudden is shipped with 2017 battery but I dont believe that is the case

Reactions: focher and ammulder
So I still show TBD after getting VIN spoke to someone from customer service on monday that said it should be in Pittsburgh on the 29th, then called today and they said they saw 31st but wasnt sure if that meant delivery to me or when it would show up in pittsburgh. Nothing updated on my account. The rep said they would have someone call from Pittsburgh but no call. Cant seem to find a direct number to pittsburgh all routed through the main number

Very good explanation! For some of us who ordered w/o FSD, we lose the lane change feature, auto park and summon. Also lose free Supercharging but we get greater range, faster charging and a new car, etc. Is it a good trade-off? All depends on what you want.
Looking at what you've got with the 2016 X, I have to say you'll really like the changes. I had a 2016 S 90D that was written off in an accident and replaced with a 2017 S 100D. The differences between the two are large, between AP1 vs AP2, but also simply in range. Since then there's been incremental changes that I think make buying a new one indispensable: Raven suspension, true one-foot driving and more efficient and durable motors (and even more in the refresh). I wish we could keep the unlimited Supercharging, data and such, but I think it's going to be so much of a step up it's almost a no-brainer. I'm certainly looking forward to the cooling seats along with better passenger and cargo room for the kids. The range is actually going to be a wash since I've got roughly 330 miles in the S and it's just a bit longer in the refreshed X at 348 miles - it'll make any range anxiety you had in the 90D a distant memory.

Reactions: focher
I’ve had a VIN (1 week tomorrow) and they still can’t get the car from Northern California down to southern CA. Every day I call, it’s the same response…”it’s in staging waiting to be taken down. This should only take 1 day.” No estimated delivery anymore on my account. So close, yet so far. My recommendation for once you receive your VIN’s is to not make any payments until you’re at Tesla picking up your car.

I’ve had a VIN (1 week tomorrow) and they still can’t get the car from Northern California down to southern CA. Every day I call, it’s the same response…”it’s in staging waiting to be taken down. This should only take 1 day.” No estimated delivery anymore on my account. So close, yet so far. My recommendation for once you receive your VIN’s is to not make any payments until you’re at Tesla picking up your car.
Some states require payment for the vehicle to enter your state (moronic state laws).

No interest in flying up and taking delivery, then driving home? The central valley used to be a miserable drive but with Autopilot it's so much less boring.