Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately 6500 in damages isn't worth an attorney's time. This isn't legal advice but some states don't require a written promise for detrimental reliance or consumer fraud which would likely fall outside the scope of arbitration or can be defeat attempts to compel arbitration.

You could just put your facts into an affidavit or declaration or something and make Tesla deny it.

Regardless, Tesla has an integration clause and denies agents the ability to negotiate or contract, so expect denials of the legal effect of the offer. That's a red herring IMO.
I have talked about it in the past on this thread and in others..

Best bet is small claims court local in your state. In CT it is a $5,000 max. I went after Tesla for failure to service my failing MCU1.0 in my 2017 MX and was awarded $4,800. Tesla chose not to represent themselves in court so the judge awarded me the money without debate.

No need to hire an attorney, you can do this yourself. Filing fees were $95.

Edit: The key here is getting written proof that Tesla frauded you.

I have talked about it in the past on this thread and in others..

Best bet is small claims court local in your state. In CT it is a $5,000 max. I went after Tesla for failure to service my failing MCU1.0 in my 2017 MX and was awarded $4,800. Tesla chose not to represent themselves in court so the judge awarded me the money without debate.

No need to hire an attorney, you can do this yourself. Filing fees were $95.

How did you collect on the judgment?

The court provided a Notice of Judgement. I scanned this to email ([email protected]) as well as mailed a physical copy. I waited patiently and started to think they were just going to ignore it but the check came in the mail after about 6 weeks.

Awesome. That's the first I've ever heard of a corporation paying out on a judgment and not contesting it.

Thanks!

I've had the S, X, 3, and Y. The X is the easiest out of all of them to get in and out of
I found my model 3 low to get in and out of and my Y is a good height hence why I chose the X over the S for my new one. But wasn't sure if setting the air suspension to very high made the S easier to get in and out of or if it is still quite lower than the Y.

Reactions: joshdrinkswine
The court provided a Notice of Judgement. I scanned this to email ([email protected]) as well as mailed a physical copy. I waited patiently and started to think they were just going to ignore it but the check came in the mail after about 6 weeks.
Who did you serve with the legal notice notice of the initial small claims lawsuit? Local Tesla or Corporate? Any one in particular

Who did you serve with the legal notice notice of the initial small claims lawsuit? Local Tesla or Corporate? Any one in particular
Every corporate entity has to provide an official agent to receive service of process. And as most C corporations in the USA are based out of Delaware it's easy to just get that info. Providing service to an in-state agent is riskier but probably more than fine for a small claims court action, especially one that isn't contested by the defendant so you're just gonna get a default judgment.

As for the grandiose ideas for a class action, I think a lot of people don't understand class actions. How they work, but also their purpose. A class action is not intended at all to recover damages for individuals in the class. It's a mechanism to punish bad actors by creating an incentive for attorneys to pursue claims on behalf of the class while covering the cost of the litigation. Once you understand that purpose, it's easier to understand why you can opt out of a class action to pursue litigation on your own - including your own expense.

Most people don't understand how easy small claims is, and if your claim fits within the limits (or you accept the limit on a larger claim) then you should go that route because you're both more likely to win and you don't have the cost of an attorney.

Last edited:
Awesome. That's the first I've ever heard of a corporation paying out on a judgment and not contesting it.

Thanks!
I was just as surprised. I had a few thoughts..
- This multi-billion dollar company didn't care enough to worry about $4,800
- Their legal team was dealing with bigger issues
- My case was too solid for them to deny (I argued the SC knowingly returned an unsafe vehicle to me after 5 separate visits, further confirmed by the EMMC recall, SC still denied repair)
Tesla, Inc
Attn: Legal,
45500 Fremont Boulevard
Fremont, CA 94538

My point being.. if anyone has in writing that Tesla guaranteed delivery of their MX refresh by EOY'21 by paying the extra $6,500 they have a solid case. Further solidified by their unwillingness to compensate.
Small-Claims Court is the way to go. No attorney would ever take the case to win their portion of $6,500. Also for those talking about a class-action I don't know if you could find enough people.

So while Elite Auto Films was putting on PPF and ceramic coating they noticed that the Model X Refresh's rear passenger door trim colors don't match, you can see that one side is black while the other side is white. I'm Worried other things I can't see, maybe more safety related were not inspected thoroughly

Attachments

• 123_1.jpg
    123_1.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 113
  • 123_1.jpeg
    123_1.jpeg
    321.6 KB · Views: 87
So while Elite Auto Films was putting on PPF and ceramic coating they noticed that the Model X Refresh's rear passenger door trim colors don't match, you can see that one side is black while the other side is white. I'm Worried other things I can't see, maybe more safety related were not inspected thoroughly
TMC needs to add a few post reactions... 😬,😖, or😮

The issue is literally in black and white.

It means nothing without a VIN.
I have the same thing but still not feeling good about it.

With Tesla, anything could change.

View attachment 757481
Aaaand it means *almost* nothing with a VIN.

How to know if you’re about to get your Model X: you see it. In person.

Actually even then you might not accept delivery.

I know I shouldn't, but I am laughing my ass off at that. It perfectly captures the randomness of Tesla's manufacturing quality.

On a brighter side, you have a Tesla unicorn that’ll sell for $160k+ on the open market 😉

I was just as surprised. I had a few thoughts..
- This multi-billion dollar company didn't care enough to worry about $4,800
- Their legal team was dealing with bigger issues
- My case was too solid for them to deny (I argued the SC knowingly returned an unsafe vehicle to me after 5 separate visits, further confirmed by the EMMC recall, SC still denied repair)

Tesla, Inc
Attn: Legal,
45500 Fremont Boulevard
Fremont, CA 94538

My point being.. if anyone has in writing that Tesla guaranteed delivery of their MX refresh by EOY'21 by paying the extra $6,500 they have a solid case. Further solidified by their unwillingness to compensate.
Small-Claims Court is the way to go. No attorney would ever take the case to win their portion of $6,500. Also for those talking about a class-action I don't know if you could find enough people.
I’m kind of surprised tesla doesn’t blacklist people who sue them. Many vendors I deal with will do that if you sue them.