Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With these delays, looks more and more like I might pull the trigger on our Rivian R1S Launch Edition order versus refreshed Tesla Model X. Rivian R1S starts in August (hopefully) delivery but only time will tell what true dates occur there and with the X...

Just placed my order for the X plaid. Hate how it is super delayed as I needed the car by August but just means I keep my 3 a bit longer than expected. To be honest I tried to find a replacement and nothing that beat that instant torque. Test drove the rsq8, cayenne turbo, gle 63s, and x7m and they just feel so sluggish. Maybe because I didn't drive an ice for couple years but man I couldn't pull the trigger on any of them. Granted the interior blows Tesla out the water and even going 85+ there is no wind noise in the cabin. I think I made the correct decision and quite frankly holding out til Porsche goes ev with the cayenne. I really couldn't get over how nice German interiors are especially that gle 63s.
Yes I understand - I’ll miss the glorious leather and wood of my 2020 GLS-450 but not the gas station stops and cost, the $800 oil changes, the lumbering ICE sluggishness and smells, the overly complex dash and almost useless MBX Navigation phone entertainment and function screens, and the primitive autopilot that cannot come close to the MY performance on the same streets - not to mention the Fleet Knowledge base. After driving my wife’s MY I feel like I am going back 100 years when I drive the Mercedes. Too bad they just missed the electric boat and they have very poor software that also lacks customer focus. The best or nothing they say but it’s nothing. I am gone after 55 years of Mercedes ownership. Sad on the one hand but great on the Tesla other hand

After cancelling my order, ended up getting a low mileage 2018 P100D MX. I figure it's 70% of the car for 60% of the price. Will revisit in a couple of years when they, hopefully, get the new battery tech into the Model X.
private party or Tesla Inventory? I've been looking hard but very few are popping up. Seems like they are metering them out to keep the prices higher.

private party or Tesla Inventory? I've been looking hard but very few are popping up. Seems like they are metering them out to keep the prices higher.
I suspect the inventory got cleaned out by folks who were on the fence. I'm one of those folks, bagged a 2018 X P100D with the subzero package that had only 12,500 miles. Disappointed to learn about some of the things it doesn't have (such as adaptive suspension damping and the AP 3.0 computer, though the AP computer is a free upgrade so I'll schedule that), but thrilled with the purchase nonetheless and will likely cancel our new build order.

Reactions: SmartElectric
While old MX was still in production in 2020 the selling numbers where quite low, maybe too low for Tesla. Maybe they deliberately stopped production to peacefully make improvements in technology and put their staff from the MS and MX lines to bring more money when they work at M3 and MY lines? Or Cybertruck? Or Semi? As soon as the number of orders for MX and MS is high enough to make the lines profitable, they restart it? Like this, the number of available MS and MX, even the used ones, is kept low in the market, which keeps the price high, so more profit for Tesla. So its more profitable to run the production line just long enough to almost fulfill the market request, than to mass produce more cars than can be sold and then lower the price to get rid of them...? Elon once mentioned they keep building MX just for emotional reasons... Like this, they keep building it in low numbers or only 6 of 12 months per year and its still high price and profitable...? Just theories to help me be patient... ;-)

Put in an order for a Long Range X last week. I guess I should assume a July/August date despite it saying May/June.
That sounds prudent.

My order in Feb 2018 order was originally had April deliver. We picked up the car in June 2018. By then the original color combination had been discontinued and MCU1 replaced with MCU2. Those changes made the car better than what we ordered.

Reactions: SmartElectric
While old MX was still in production in 2020 the selling numbers where quite low, maybe too low for Tesla. Maybe they deliberately stopped production to peacefully make improvements in technology and put their staff from the MS and MX lines to bring more money when they work at M3 and MY lines? Or Cybertruck? Or Semi? As soon as the number of orders for MX and MS is high enough to make the lines profitable, they restart it? Like this, the number of available MS and MX, even the used ones, is kept low in the market, which keeps the price high, so more profit for Tesla. So its more profitable to run the production line just long enough to almost fulfill the market request, than to mass produce more cars than can be sold and then lower the price to get rid of them...? Elon once mentioned they keep building MX just for emotional reasons... Like this, they keep building it in low numbers or only 6 of 12 months per year and its still high price and profitable...? Just theories to help me be patient... ;-)
Or how about just waiting for the new batteries.

Or redesigning the front suspension parts so there are no more complaints about “shudder” on strong acceleration I read about here on this site if it’s true. Seems like they surely need to fix that with these even more powerful trucks with even stronger acceleration. Especially since it’s a $100k+ truck.

With all my Mercedes SUVs and sedans I never had any CV joint, uneven tire wear / camber issues like have been frequently reported here on MX.

Not taking this opportunity to fix basic engineering problems like these in the front suspension would continue to be costly in money and customer goodwill. There are only so many willies you can get with super superior torque and technology if the basic wheel camber, steering and suspension don’t work correctly in your $100k+ truck!

Or how about just waiting for the new batteries.

Or redesigning the front suspension parts so there are no more complaints about “shudder” on strong acceleration I read about here on this site if it’s true. Seems like they surely need to fix that with these even more powerful trucks with even stronger acceleration. Especially since it’s a $100k+ truck.

With all my Mercedes SUVs and sedans I never had any CV joint, uneven tire wear / camber issues like have been frequently reported here on MX.

Not taking this opportunity to fix basic engineering problems like these in the front suspension would continue to be costly in money and customer goodwill. There are only so many willies you can get with super superior torque and technology if the basic wheel camber, steering and suspension don’t work correctly in your $100k+ truck!
I agree... but, dude... an MX is not a "truck".... Now if you said minivan? Maybe.

Reactions: Richbot