Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really a bad customer service decision by Tesla. Somebody wants to upgrade to a more expensive spec that brings you more profit and you won’t let them. Costs the company money and creates bad blood with the customer. Lose/Lose. Even if it wasn't more expensive it would all come out in the wash for Tesla. There are so few options with Tesla, they only build a few configurations anyway and just match those to orders that come in, then make adjustments as demand for certain models/options ebb and flow. As long as you ordered before the price increase, they should let you change to whatever you want before your car is built and loaded on a truck for your destination. They really need to get their s**t together as the competition is coming.

Ordered in 2020. I emailed my SA to ask about changing black > white interior yesterday, and was told I would incur the $5k increase for any changes.
Yeah it is very unfortunate Tesla does not honor or grandfather customers in to their original price even if they just want to make a change. They have made zero production MXs.
I also requested a change recently from black to white interior and was also told I would have to pay the $5k MSRP increase so I said no. I am kicking myself for not ordering the white upfront but was nervous about upkeep and it getting stained or ruined easily. Then recently decided that if I am spending this much on a car I better get what I really want. But I can justify $7k just to change my interior color.

It’s interesting that so many people on any Car Forum complain about Service, the Vehicles themselves etc etc. Justified in many cases. If you read the RIVIAN Forum people have numerous complaints about the Company, late deliveries and other misc items and they have not even delivered one Vehicle. However, Consumer reports gives Tesla the highest rating in Customer satisfaction. I had a RIVIAN and BMW iX reserved but ended up with the MX. Why because of the new Design, Range and ease of Charging. I think that if the majority of Consumers received terrible customer service from Tesla you would not see them selling record numbers of Vehicles. Are they perfect no. Are they any different than AudI or Mercedes not really. Meanwhile I just hope they start production on the MX in the next few months.

You are right, people buy Tesla's and are generally satisfied due to design, range and Supercharging. No one can touch those things now. There is no real competition, NOW. 24 months from now, the world will be different and having been part of business that had over 80% market share globally, consumers are not that loyal. They leave you quickly.

And I do hope the MX ships soon too.

Reactions: TallBill
Potential competition doesn't matter much when you are supply constrained on sales. Add to that the fact that those other manufacturers are battery supply constrained and I doubt competition factors very much into Tesla's planning. Plus, the market isn't EVs - it's cars. More likely that anything other manufacturers do just redirects their own customers from an ICE sale to an EV. The volumes for those manufacturers are still so low that oncoming regulations around ICE sales is what drives the behavior of those manufacturers.

For those of us who have an X on order, it's going to come when it comes. Having had an X before, I know it's worth the wait. Fortunately, we find a single car perfectly manageable. It's just the space that is a point of frustration, plus I don't like having the dog in my Model 3 Performance. Well. I don't like the kids in it either.

I don't believe that Tesla is worried about THE COMPETITION. Because what they need to expand is an expanded customer pool. For that, they need Ford to introduce their large customer base to EVs, this is something that Tesla couldn't do by itself easily. Remember, not everyone is like us... We're currently at the innovation equivalent in time as the iPhone 3G. Revolutionary, but not mass market. It would take Motorola's DROID and Blackberry's whatever to get more folks on the touchscreen only interface.
The competition is going to make some money and sell a bunch of cars, but don't forget that Tesla open sourced it's patents 7 years ago. Tesla is positioning itself to provide a better product for people who want a better EV...but first,they need to want an EV.
It's not only about the competition - it's the way Tesla handles these issues. How many potential owners have walked away because of the way Tesla has treated them? Plaid+ disappeared without a clear thought as to how to deal with those reservations. There are those who have been pissed off and won't be returning. One only needs to look through the Model S Refresh thread to see it - and I'm sure they're not the only ones. So much of this could have been avoided or at least offset by properly dealing with customers.

What competition will do is to give people a solution to the ongoing issues with Tesla.

Reactions: golferguy
It's not only about the competition - it's the way Tesla handles these issues. How many potential owners have walked away because of the way Tesla has treated them? Plaid+ disappeared without a clear thought as to how to deal with those reservations. There are those who have been pissed off and won't be returning. One only needs to look through the Model S Refresh thread to see it - and I'm sure they're not the only ones. So much of this could have been avoided or at least offset by properly dealing with customers.

What competition will do is to give people a solution to the ongoing issues with Tesla.
Sure, assuming their product is as compelling. Which OEM has anything close to a 2021/2022 Model X coming within 3 years? Cadillac Lyric will be nice, but blown away by Model X by every objective measure. I think Tesla gets new X's in peoples hand by October. After that, nobody will care much about some minor quibbles. We will have the coolest, fastest, most efficient, and safest SUV in the world. After that any issues with production timelines, delivery issues, pricing switches.... these will all be long forgotten.

Same wheel/tire package as before...wonder if X is getting a new suspension setup like S did, or if the S only needed it to accommodate the new wider wheel/tire packs

Nice to see they didn't get rid of the paint drips on the wing corners, lol

New member and first time Tesla (soon-to-be) owner here! My Tesla Account screen changed this morning, not sure if this is a good sign that I'm on track for November delivery. Did anybody else's order page change recently? Ordered 4/15/2021. Also, unfortunate that my credit check from April has expired, now they have to do an additional credit pull thus dropping my score a few points.

Attachments

• Tesla Order.JPG
    Tesla Order.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 222