Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had a three for 2.5 years, and it was in the shop having a couple repairs done and I got a 2020 X as a loaner. It was great, don't get get me wrong, I loved the extra space, and the feel. That said, i found myself continually asking if it was really worth an extra 60k over the 3/y. By the end of the few days my conclusion was that the only real difference was that it was a little bigger, and kind of hard to justify. I'm not cancelling my X order necessarily, as this was the pre-refresh version, but I imagine that if I had a Y already I would have potentially cancelled the X order

I have had a three for 2.5 years, and it was in the shop having a couple repairs done and I got a 2020 X as a loaner. It was great, don't get get me wrong, I loved the extra space, and the feel. That said, i found myself continually asking if it was really worth an extra 60k over the 3/y. By the end of the few days my conclusion was that the only real difference was that it was a little bigger, and kind of hard to justify. I'm not cancelling my X order necessarily, as this was the pre-refresh version, but I imagine that if I had a Y already I would have potentially cancelled the X order
I had a model Y sold and bought a 2019 performance X. The ride quality is just much better with the suspension, and the zoom factor puts a smile on my face. My only complaint is range, I’m lucky to get 200 miles the way I drive. I’m waiting on the refresh should help with range and looking forward to new interior.

I’m looking for a vehicle to tow a 4000 lb travel trailer that will be delivered in Q2. The Y can’t do this. At this point, I’m concerned that I will either need to buy a used X or an ICE vehicle.

I’m looking for a vehicle to tow a 4000 lb travel trailer that will be delivered in Q2. The Y can’t do this. At this point, I’m concerned that I will either need to buy a used X or an ICE vehicle.
Sorry, I tried to search but are you saying that the X will not have a tow package included? Or at least as a post purchase option? I don’t see it mentioned when ordering the vehicle.

The main reason to get the X over the Y is so that all the Y drivers know your better than them.. obviously

The X is waaaaaay better than the Y in everything except range. Compared to the Y:
- X air suspension enables better ride comfort at highway speeds, and better ride comfort at all times if you have Raven X.
- X air suspension enables higher ground clearance when needed.
- Falcon wing doors are awesome for loading kids, blocking rain and sun. And being futuristic.
- The X is faster and has higher performance.
- Dual screens.
- Larger 17-inch main screen.
- X seats 5 adults comfortably, Y seats 4 adults comfortably.
- X 6-seat config option is awesome for families of 5 or 6 with easy access to 3rd row.
- Interior trim is much nicer in the X. The strip of "wood" in the Y along the dash is atrocious.
- X auto-presenting doors are awesome, I miss them when driving any other car.

The X is waaaaaay better than the Y in everything except range. Compared to the Y:
- X air suspension enables better ride comfort at highway speeds, and better ride comfort at all times if you have Raven X.
- Falcon wing doors are awesome for loading kids, blocking rain and sun. And being futuristic.
- Dual screens.
- X 6-seat config option is awesome for families of 5 or 6 with easy access to 3rd row.
- Interior trim is much nicer in the X. The strip of "wood" in the Y along the dash is atrocious.
Does your email address end in Tesla.com?
Anyway, speaking of suspension. I noticed in our 2018 X the suspension is nowhere near as soft and comfortable as the new Refreshed S we just got. Does the new X have that same super soft suspension by chance? the air suspension is nice on the X but doesn’t compare to the damping ability to the new S.

• Informative
Reactions: studioloft
Yes definitely. I'm a Tesla employee who is paid to monitor forums, and make comments about how our highest volume product the Model Y (which is currently available to buy) is not that great compared to the X, and you should wait longer, and don't buy the Y. Am I doing a good job?
Actually, I'm a regular owner who owns both an X and a 3, and has driven the Y a bunch, and I make helpful comments that some of the Tesla community appreciates.

About your suspension question, yes all S and X built since May 2019 have the Raven adaptive suspension, and it's noticeably more comfortable than the non-adaptive air suspension on S and X from pre-April-2019.

Yeah these reasons right here are why I went for the X as they hold true not just vs the Y but vs any other BE-SUV that currently exists. Gotta keep waiting...

- Dual screens.
Agreed, I’ll just add the ventilated seats on the X and S make for a more comfortable, luxurious driving experience. I have a 3 now, and while it’s the best and most fun car I’ve owned, that glass roof becomes a cooker in hotter climates, and coupled with black non-ventilated seats and you’re in a sauna, arriving at your destination with a drenched back! We also have a Y on order for the kids, as they’re younger and can take the rougher, hotter ride, lol

Anyway, speaking of suspension. I noticed in our 2018 X the suspension is nowhere near as soft and comfortable as the new Refreshed S we just got. Does the new X have that same super soft suspension by chance? the air suspension is nice on the X but doesn’t compare to the damping ability to the new S.
We will let you know about the suspension as soon as we get our cars. ........

As others have said, there is always confusion about the "air suspension" on Teslas. When Tesla first introduced air suspension on the S and later the X, it was just for ride height and had nothing to do with ride comfort as the shocks were not the variable dampening type. This changed with the Raven suspension when they added variable dampening shocks to the ride height system. On the new refreshed S and X, it is supposed to be an improved version of the Raven suspension system.

Yes definitely. I'm a Tesla employee who is paid to monitor forums, and make comments about how our highest volume product the Model Y (which is currently available to buy) is not that great compared to the X, and you should wait longer, and don't buy the Y. Am I doing a good job?
Actually, I'm a regular owner who owns both an X and a 3, and has driven the Y a bunch, and I make helpful comments that some of the Tesla community appreciates.

About your suspension question, yes all S and X built since May 2019 have the Raven adaptive suspension, and it's noticeably more comfortable than the non-adaptive air suspension on S and X from pre-April-2019.
Yes! Our new S Plaid handles those annoying stop light waves/bumps like there are no bumps at all, but the X is a bit rougher of a ride. Almost the same as what our 3 drove like. that is great to hear, thank you. And you’re doing very well. Send me a survey.

• Funny
Reactions: Stro