Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ima going out on a limb here, but if any of you follow Sawyer Merritt on Twitter, you probably already saw the updates he just gave: Tesla is making 4680s in volume with continually increasing success in all areas of the design as discussed on Battery day. Tesla is stockpiling the 4680s and (reading between the lines of what he said) they may very well be going to be using them in certain vehicles in the near future 🔔🔔🔔 🤩🤩

ok I know that’s extremely hopeful thinking but if Tesla did, we refresh Model X’ers could be looking at 400+ mile range 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

Edit: need for towing! Towing a few thousand miles with supercharging every 100 ish miles in the Y was a tour de force.

Reactions: Gwgan and SpaceCash
Ima going out on a limb here, but if any of you follow Sawyer Merritt on Twitter, you probably already saw the updates he just gave: Tesla is making 4680s in volume with continually increasing success in all areas of the design as discussed on Battery day. Tesla is stockpiling the 4680s and (reading between the lines of what he said) they may very well be going to be using them in certain vehicles in the near future 🔔🔔🔔 🤩🤩

ok I know that’s extremely hopeful thinking but if Tesla did, we refresh Model X’ers could be looking at 400+ mile range 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

Edit: need for towing! Towing a few thousand miles with supercharging every 100 ish miles in the Y was a tour de force.
So the premise is that Tesla is secretly mass producing its next generation battery and storing them? Because batteries are like fine wine and cheese, they improve with age?

You're close. It's not extremely hopeful thinking. It's in the fantasy range.

Edit: need for towing! Towing a few thousand miles with supercharging every 100 ish miles in the Y was a tour de f

So the premise is that Tesla is secretly mass producing its next generation battery and storing them? Because batteries are like fine wine and cheese, they improve with age?

Actually a Tesla tech came by Monday to service my M3P and he stated the delay was due to new batteries for the X. So maybe there's some merit and hope here.

🤣🤪
The stockpiling comment was a bit odd but I figured maybe he meant for charge cycle /charge speed testing and *maybe* if the production rate is really low, minor stockpiling to get to enough volume in hand to build a pilot line of X’s, which are after all a very small subset of Teslas.

🤣🤪
The stockpiling comment was a bit odd but I figured maybe he meant for charge cycle /charge speed testing and *maybe* if the production rate is really low, minor stockpiling to get to enough volume in hand to build a pilot line of X’s, which are after all a very small subset of Teslas.
Not sure I want the first set of batteries being made.

• Funny
Reactions: KidsEyeDr
- As farfetched as the battery rumors are... deep down I hope they are right and they surprise us.

- In regards to FSD, I don't think we need car to car communication before its viable. But has it and will it continue to take longer than expected. Yes. But at the same time progress will be exponential and we will suddenly be at a point where it surprises us.

Does anyone know when the next TSLA earnings call is?

If anybody is a shareholder, they can nominate questions to be answered by Tesla on their earnings call. We need to get an official answer from someone up top that knows why our cars have been delayed indefinitely and when they actually plan to start mass production on Model X.

If my Model X is going to come in January, because they think they can sell 1mil cars this year by focusing on the 3/Y, just tell us that!

If anybody is a shareholder, they can nominate questions to be answered by Tesla on their earnings call. We need to get an official answer from someone up top that knows why our cars have been delayed indefinitely and when they actually plan to start mass production on Model X.

If my Model X is going to come in January, because they think they can sell 1mil cars this year by focusing on the 3/Y, just tell us that!
Noted, we usually will get an email before the next earning but I think it's next month.

They use a voting system for retail investors but typically the big social media influencers drive what the questions are and model X has a small chance of making it in the top 5

Reactions: JackD
They use a voting system for retail investors but typically the big social media influencers drive what the questions are and model X has a small chance of making it in the top 5
It could be asked in a specific way to understand why a production line has been out for so long and couple it with a question of how this situation will fallout with upcoming projects such as the CyberTruck, Semi and future small car. The response cannot include "production is hard".

• Helpful
Don't look at FSD as "Full Self Drive with no user input". Look at it from the perspective of paying $10,000 to add a feature set:
  • Lane changes on highway (overtake slower cars)

I disabled this because it likes to cut people off. It's easier and less stressful to look and initiate the lane change myself.

• On and Off ramps for highway

Incredibly bad speed adjustments means I don't use this. It's also very jerky and unreliable.

• App summoning features - drive/navigate through a parking lot

Hahaha this doesn't work half the time. It never routes right. It takes too long to initiate. Just an all around a bad implementation that was released and never improved upon.

• Use the key fob to drive the car forwards and backwards (useful for tight spaces or when over a deep puddle)

Somewhat useful feature.

Never works when you need it to. Never. I've used this once and all the other times I've wanted to use it, it's not available.

• Stop sign and stop light aware stopping

I disabled this feature because it was more work to trigger the green light acceptance than it was to stop for red lights manually. Like smart summon, this was another feature that was released and then never improved upon.

• Future release - additional options at a later date (likely more within your span of ownership)

The only thing I believe I've gotten since I bought FSD in 2019 is smart summon that I never use because of how unreliable it is.

• Raised value - Remember when FSD was $5,000 in May of 2019? In under 3 years I added $5k of value to my 2017 X (market inflation set aside)
For me, considering the already overly-elaborate car we are buying.. adding this set of features for less than 9% of my car's configuration is an easy decision to make. I digress, don't think of FSD as full autonomy - otherwise you will be disappointed and disgruntled.

I'm pretty upset I spent $6k on this "feature" set. The only item that I use daily is the manually triggered lane changes. The FSD beta is the first glimpse of something even remotely worth the money I spent and the way Elon is ****ing around with driving tests and buttons and all that bullshit is so frustrating.

I hope you understand I am not trying to pick apart your post. I have owned a Tesla since 2019 and I ****ing LOVE my car and I will likely never buy another brand car again. I am happy my money is being used to bootstrap this company, but I need to see some return and the way Tesla is going about it rubs me the wrong way.

Thank you, @Smoot . I just don't see the value there. Most of the things listed by @studioloft don't work or only work some of the time. Summon? Watch your car run into a tree. Autopark? Have you actually done this in a crowded lot? The car is SLOW. Your fellow drivers will have plenty of honks and hand gestures for you as your car takes 2 minutes to park itself. Just park the car yourself.

Again, I believe that FSD is many years away and is a waste of money. If I'm wrong, you can always do the subscription. That will still get you 50 months (over 4 years) of FSD. You probably won't have your car that long.

Reactions: jbrowdy
@Smoot , @strider , When I upgraded my 2017 X from HW2.0 to HW3.0 I saw a huge boost in performance. I would recommend doing so if you have not already. @Smoot I understand where you are coming from as it is not perfect but I feel I certainly get my money out of it. When I still had that car I used a combination of these features every day!

My mindset... I understand if someone does not want to get FSD because of their own preference.. But I am certainly defending the justification and cost of buying FSD from the perspective of a Model X owner. My mindset would certainly be different if I bought a $50,000 Model Y as the Y serves the same practical functions as the X. But when you're spending double the cost at $100,000 for a Model X you're already in the mindset of spending double the value for some added functionality and creature comforts. We are all buying this car because we want an SUV. But we are buying the X because of the comfort, luxury, etc. My point - I feel $10,000 (in my case 9% of the value) is worth the price considering what we receive in return.

Looks like I’m one of the rare 6 seaters with an October date. Ordered in Feb, was June-July originally, then August, then October, then blank for a while. Just recently switched back to October.
Plaid/white-white/20”/6 seat/FSD. ATL area delivery.

My SA said that with FSD you’re basically paying to get one of the earlier builds given that it’s $10k of free money for Tesla and all things considered they’d rather account for that first. Does seem somewhat reasonable but given all the other nonsense SAs have been quoted on in this thread I’d take it with a Model X sized boulder of salt.

Looks like I’m one of the rare 6 seaters with an October date. Ordered in Feb, was June-July originally, then August, then October, then blank for a while. Just recently switched back to October.
Plaid/white-white/20”/6 seat/FSD. ATL area delivery.

My SA said that with FSD you’re basically paying to get one of the earlier builds given that it’s $10k of free money for Tesla and all things considered they’d rather account for that first. Does seem somewhat reasonable but given all the other nonsense SAs have been quoted on in this thread I’d take it with a Model X sized boulder of salt.
Tesla actually can’t recognize the revenue for FSD in full for its top line until it finishes building it out and releasing it wide spread. They will prioritize plaid orders similar to MS given the much higher margin.

Reactions: JimBob 909