Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are about to upset a number of fanboys in this forum lol.
May I ask why you believe this? These situations don't apply to me - but I have been told they are exceptional for parents who need to secure babies in a car seat or elderly as the more direct no-obstacle entry is a huge plus.
For me at least the wow-factor of the X doors is one of the primary selling points. The car is an enigma. There is nothing else quite like it.
I just think would be more versatile if you could put a rack on top. For example, when I went to pick up my daughter from school this evening I had a large surfboard inside my model three. There wasn’t enough room for her and the board inside the car so I took the board out and put it on the racks. You can’t do that with an X.
The X is supposed to be a sport utility vehicle. The falcon wing doors limit the utility.

FWD are a godsend for folks like me who have 2 kids still in car seats. not having to bend to get them in and situated is worth it alone. Plus my in-laws are in their 70s so when they sit in the third row it's super convenient to be able to stand up and walk out... Instead of having to crouch and contort themselves to exit like in my previous third row vehicle..... And I would be lying if I didn't admit that I secretly kind of like the attention and the wow factor when opening them in public.
One of the main attractions of the X was the ease of getting in and out for my 80-year-old mother. The access is really good in the front seats as well and I think they could do something to make access good for the rear seats if they got rid of the doors. Really the only benefit of them is for people with older family members or children in car seats. I am kind of bummed we may not get the car because of how easy it is for my mother.

When did he say that?
Dang new X orders just
I'm starting to think that the entire program is behind by a year. Considering we've seen a recent uptick in test sightings, I'm thinking that launch is scheduled for 6 months from now.
Today asked my Tesla rep when my February ordered X was going to be delivered. Here is his reply:
“Tesla is projecting production on the new model X to start at the beginning of the year. Finishing up the final fit and finish on the X. You should be darn close to the top of the list to deliver early.”

Today asked my Tesla rep when my February ordered X was going to be delivered. Here is his reply:
“Tesla is projecting production on the new model X to start at the beginning of the year. Finishing up the final fit and finish on the X. You should be darn close to the top of the list to deliver early.”
Well, the SA's don't typically know *sugar* from shinola, but here's to hoping because I ordered mine early last December, so I should be one of the first to take delivery! 🤞

Reactions: c_v_h
There are several threads about towing travel trailers with the Model X. Specifically, the Alto (good value) and Bowlus (high end) seem to be towable with usable range with the Model X. And for me, the Cybertruck is not an option - much too large for my garage.
Yeah I’ve actually followed them for quite a while. Definitely usable, but still around a 40-50% range hit even when staying around 55-65 mph. And some supercharger jumps you need to charge to 100. My opinion is that you need 500 miles of range or more, to really make long range towing useful for me (some trips into the country).

Reactions: KidsEyeDr
One of the main attractions of the X was the ease of getting in and out for my 80-year-old mother. The access is really good in the front seats as well and I think they could do something to make access good for the rear seats if they got rid of the doors. Really the only benefit of them is for people with older family members or children in car seats. I am kind of bummed we may not get the car because of how easy it is for my mother.
Tesla resolved any issues with the FWDs long ago. It’s highly doubtful they have anything to do with the delays.

And for those who keep citing alternatives, I suggest you submit an order for a Lyriq or Rivian or whatever, then let us know the estimated delivery date

Yeah I’ve actually followed them for quite a while. Definitely usable, but still around a 40-50% range hit even when staying around 55-65 mph. And some supercharger jumps you need to charge to 100. My opinion is that you need 500 miles of range or more, to really make long range towing useful for me (some trips into the country).
Of course range decreases, but from what I've heard, it's more like ~200 miles of range if you drive around 50 mph. That's good enough for me. That said, I'm now seriously rethinking my Model X order.

Of course range decreases, but from what I've heard, it's more like ~200 miles of range if you drive around 50 mph. That's good enough for me. That said, I'm now seriously rethinking my Model X order
I would just say if you are getting an X for the primary reason for towing realize there are some serious cons, and if I were you I would do some more research. I own and X and have towed plenty with it.

Range isn’t great, even without a trailer you don’t get actual rated range. Factor in 6-10% battery degradation, as well as additional losses for added weight (ie water tanks, gray water, food ect) and you really are looking between 40-60% impact depending on your speed (surface area squared), temps ect.

Also consider having to unhitch most of the stops. In the past when teslas were less common, it was okay to pull sideways and plug in, not any more. There are some pull through slots but with charger being busier it’s hit or miss if you will actually get one, and even if you do you may need to unhitch if trailer is too large.

Once charging, much of the time you will be charging to near 100% given the need for max range. Takes much much longer to trickle charge at the end, and once your Tesla hits a certain amount of supercharging you’re battery gets throttled, making that 100% charge take even longer.

For me, driving 50 mph all the time isn’t really acceptable. Brief stints, to make the charger no problem. Driving 55 in a 65, no problem but with some of the freeways around at 75 or 80 mph it becomes a safety problem. Expect an added 50% or more time spent traveling compared with an ICE. Also realize your destination will be tied within range of a supercharging network. If you want to get to some of the national parks of get more off grid options will be limited.

I’m not trying to convince you not to get an X. We love our X and hence getting the second X, it’s the best car we’ve ever had. And don’t get me wrong, it’s plenty capable towing short distance. Even towing it almost feels like the trailer weight is nothing. But if you are looking at this with the primary advantage being long range towing, I think you might be disappointed.

Do you see any X's?
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Sadly, no - except those that have been sitting on the grass by the test track area. Those have been around for a long while. I had found some in the 9/22 video this same guy posted - in the logistics lot and looked that they might be shipped out. Refreshed 2021 Model X LR/Plaid waiting room

The quality of the videos (3 from the past week or so) has been terrible from a perspective of looking for details. I REALLY wish someone who knows how to make a video would come forth, but this is what we've got.

Tesla is opening a dealers not too far from my shop. I took a pep in and saw this. The only car in the show room.

Attachments

• 20210929_132407.jpg
    20210929_132407.jpg
    350 KB · Views: 97
  • 20210929_132138.jpg
    20210929_132138.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 70

New video came out and there are some Xs in lot!!
I think I spotted maybe 2 or 3 in the beginning part of the video, but that was about it. Anyone see any more? I wish this guy would fly his drone a bit closer or at least increase the video recording quality. Kinda hard to make out the details of the vehicles. I know, I know, first world problems 🤪

I think I spotted maybe 2 or 3 in the beginning part of the video, but that was about it. Anyone see any more? I wish this guy would fly his drone a bit closer or at least increase the video recording quality. Kinda hard to make out the details of the vehicles. I know, I know, first world problems 🤪
Definitely 3 at the beginning. I saw a video a couple days ago with 1 model x. So it seems production is low but they are making them... Can we at least get some sent to people so we can watch reviews!?

Reactions: Tezhed9802