Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given my extensive experience with driving long distance the model X, I would disagree (my family can really hold it!!! Nahhh, just kidding here...)

Seriously, the issue is not how long you can hold it... it really relates to:

1- A single day trip (say 250 miles total for the day: eg., LA to San Diego and back)... multiple stops, dog mode for an 1-2 hours. I want to make the entire day without range anxiety; will charge at home and not waste time looking or planning a supercharger stop.

2- A long trip, where I typically am driving 400 to 500 miles in one direction in a single day. On this type of trip, I just want to charge once in the middle of the day, and again overnight. Because of supercharger location and my personal timing (lunch bathroom break, etc.) are not in the exact middle of my drive, we need a certain 300+ mile range (not EPA rating, consider temperature, elevation change, winds, realistic range, arrive at supercharger with a 15-20% reserve).

My 2017 X has 60,000 miles and had an EPA range rating of 295. Now, it has degraded to 277 miles. Realistically, we can drive about 220-240 miles between charges.

My new, future, non-existent, soon to appear, 2022 MX has an EPA rating of 351... based on my experience, I expect a practical usable range of approximately 290 when brand new and possibly 270 when it will be at 60k miles

Please note that I consider 60,000 miles as a single point fair representation of range over life of vehicle... meaning, it will be even worse when my car has 150k-200k miles.
I 100% agree that for most road trips the range is fine, but depending on where you live and where you want to go, an extra 50-100 miles of range means the difference in doing the trip or not. I have family in Oklahoma and Kansas. There are many places I have wanted to go on quick trips or day trips I can't go like on the map below. Getting to somewhere a bit remote AND BACK is where 250 miles of real world range can hurt. My parent's have a Model 3 LR and a Refresh S (on order) and one thing they want to do is be able to visit family in SE Oklahoma form OKC for the day. They can't do that today. Eventually more superchargers totally fix this problem or a CCS adapter for a great 3rd party network they are building in Oklahoma (shocking, I know). I have the CHAdeMO adapter and it's way too slow to get around - 1hr + stops where I can find it on a M3, X would be even longer.

With all that said, I want the X for road trips, and it's dropping closer to the range of my M3 with is fine, but emotionally it's a bit of a bummer to see the range benefit becoming less of an upside. Not a shock with bigger motors and approx 3kWh less battery capacity.

1636058475393.png

While I wait, since this is my first Tesla.... for you road tripping veterans what adapters do you usually have in the car with you? I know the J1772 is essential but that one already comes with the car...... I plan to have a nema 14-50 plug.... Anything else I should consider? I know the supercharger network is very robust but in case of emergencies I guess.

While I wait, since this is my first Tesla.... for you road tripping veterans what adapters do you usually have in the car with you? I know the J1772 is essential but that one already comes with the car...... I plan to have a nema 14-50 plug.... Anything else I should consider? I know the supercharger network is very robust but in case of emergencies I guess.
Get the entire plug adapter kit if you can. I carry a chademo even though I've never needed it.

If you don’t get the entire adapter kit, along with the RV NEMA 14-50 I would suggest getting a Nema 14–30 and a Nema 10 - 30 plug, in a pinch they would let you use most home dryer plugs. I’ve only used them once in my three years with my current Tesla, but it was nice when I needed it.

Reactions: JER85
That should be enough. And it's likely you will never use any of that. If you go to Tesla.com and the Supercharge section you can plan some typical trips and see if you need anything beyond the Supercharger network.

Also, check out the regional information on these forums for the areas you plan on frequenting. Americas -

Reactions: JER85
This is all because there are not enough chargers and charging isn’t fast enough. If they were as prevalent as normal gas stations then the need for 400-500 mile ranges is much less. It appears to me that this is the path that Tesla is taking. Their plan is to rapidly increasing chargers by opening up the available customers to non-Teslas. They are also clearly working to increase charging speed. They don’t seem to be working much on increasing range.
Faster charging, more supercharging stations are all great improvements... Nevertheless, like an ICE car that needs to be refilled, it is an annoyance to keep having to "fill it up"...

Based on what I stated previously, my wish would be an EPA rating of 390 instead of the 351 that was announced. Given all of the discussed efficiency improvements that the X has undergone, 390 would not have been a stretch compared to the previous 372 (a 5% improvement.)

• Informative
Reactions: KidsEyeDr