Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really need a VIN and solid delivery date soon.... My ICE lease is ending on 12/15... I currently have an offer from Carmax for my car which is $8k over my pay-off amount and I would love to take advantage of that...... I know I can extend my lease by a few months, but I really want to avoid putting any extra miles on the car and dropping the offer. Those $8k would sure come in handy to do some PPF wrapping and other goodies for my X.
Shoot, at this rate the offer might even go HIGHER if you wait a few months! lol.

It's my first post here. Long time lurker though. I ordered my white exterior/black interior 6 seater 20" Long Range Model X on December 2020. I think I saw someone posted that he got VIN and he ordered on January 2021. How come I didn't get VIN nor any updates from Tesla? Is there certain configuration that will be delivered first?
Tesla delivery logistics are actually out of Giga Nevada... at a Roulette table...

I just got call from Fremont. They offered a six seater but did not guarantee this year’s delivery. Plus what’s strange is the guy said upgrading to six will trigger full new price.

That’s strange.

Clearly he mentioned that priority is for 6 seaters this year. Was not very encouraging to switch and suggested to wait it out

April 10th Order

It feels like that 6 seater conversation without full price change is available to orders March n early
Did he say new base price,or quote a new price (paying the upgrade for six seats - $6500 more than 5 seats and $3000 more than 7 seats)?

The person who got the recent VIN is in New York. There's a theory going around that Tesla might prioritize east coast deliveries at first, but there doesn't appear to be much rhyme or reason to any of their behavior.
I don't think that we have enough data points for any meaningful statistical assumptions. And Tesla obviously isn't telling us anything...

Faster charging, more supercharging stations are all great improvements... Nevertheless, like an ICE car that needs to be refilled, it is an annoyance to keep having to "fill it up"...

Based on what I stated previously, my wish would be an EPA rating of 390 instead of the 351 that was announced. Given all of the discussed efficiency improvements that the X has undergone, 390 would not have been a stretch compared to the previous 372 (a 5% improvement.)
Yeah I think that is the most that we will see in these cars. After Musk announced the Plaid+ was cancelled, this is what he told Electrek:

“What we are seeing is that once you have a range above 400 miles, more range doesn’t really matter. There are essentially zero trips above 400 miles where the driver doesn’t need to stop for restroom, food, coffee, etc. anyway.” - Elon

The Model S (standard range) probably has as much range as it's going to ever see and the focus will be on getting the same range but with smaller and more efficient batteries.

Again, I think Elon's focus will be expanding the charging network and increasing charging speeds.

Reactions: TWENT2
I really need a VIN and solid delivery date soon.... My ICE lease is ending on 12/15... I currently have an offer from Carmax for my car which is $8k over my pay-off amount and I would love to take advantage of that...... I know I can extend my lease by a few months, but I really want to avoid putting any extra miles on the car and dropping the offer. Those $8k would sure come in handy to do some PPF wrapping and other goodies for my X.

I have been renting for months. I feel your pain. Hertz making a killing out of me with monthly rental fee was able to afford 100,000 Teslas. 😡

No Plaids (regulatory approval holdup? ) MX Long range 2-3 confirmed VINs (6-seaters), one delivery scheduled this weekend another scheduled couple weeks out on east coast. Stay tuned
Not so fast. You need to refresh the page every 10 min and read the past 50 pages like the rest of us……

[no plaids. One new VIN for an order in NY]
Haha thanks guys… I missed like 100 pages of thread no chance I was gonna catch up again.. guess I’ll go back to patiently waiting.. I did see the range decrease.. kinda lame

black, 6 seats, FSD, everything else base
in orange county, ordered 1/26
Here is a good data point: I ordered white, 5 seats cream interior, no FSD, everything else base, orange county, ordered 1/17...

I did get the call to switch to 6 seats, but didn't accept.

So my conclusion is: 6 seat beats 5 seat, same delivery center and earlier order.

Congratulations, hope to see you on the street soon!

Very good point. Tesla's priority is to sell as many EVs as possible quickly -- for Elon, that's the biggest driver for Tesla stock price to go up. Since battery production is the biggest limiting factor, it makes sense to use as few batteries as possible while keeping vehicle ranges competitive and useable.

You could also achieve same thing with a more energy dense battery like 4680 form factor. Less batteries with more performance and range. I guarantee new Teslas in the future will be 500+ range.

You could also achieve same thing with a more energy dense battery like 4680 form factor. Less batteries with more performance and range. I guarantee new Teslas in the future will be 500+ range.
Again, this what Elon had to say about that after cancelling the 500+ plaid+:

“What we are seeing is that once you have a range above 400 miles, more range doesn’t really matter. There are essentially zero trips above 400 miles where the driver doesn’t need to stop for restroom, food, coffee, etc. anyway.” - Elon

The charging network and services at them will be a money maker for Tesla in the future and they want you to need them.

It makes sense to deliver to the east coast at the beginning/middle of the quarter since it takes some time to get here. When it's close to quarter-end, they'll focus on delivering to nearby areas because Tesla wants to jack up the delivery volume -- Elon wants to see his net worth to become twice of Bezo's by the year-end :)
This would make some sense if the Model X was a higher volume vehicle. However, in its current state this wouldn’t make any difference for Tesla. Also, this only makes sense in about the last three weeks of the quarter.

Unless you spoke to a logistics manager at fremont, I am pretty sure whoever you spoke to, has as little idea as we do about what's going on.
I’m pretty sure that statement could be made to every single person on here….

Either way, she volunteered that information and was confident in it. And it was Tesla corporate. Next time I’ll just keep the info to myself.

• Informative
Reactions: EndlessPlaid
No actually they did reduce capacity. :)
The pre refresh X pack had an energy density of 165 wh/kg at the pack level, and weighed 625 kg, giving a capacity of 103,125 wh; ~103 kWh.
The new pack has an energy density of 186 wh/kg at the pack level, weighing 537 kg. This gives a capacity of 99,882 wh; ~99.9 kWh. 😁
I can confirm this is close for pre refresh. I measured 101 kWh charging capacity, add 2 kWh buffer and 103-104 seems reasonable. 371 mile range at delivery, down to 362 after 22k miles.