Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question about order deferrals. I have a May 2021 order for a MX LR (6 seat, black interior, Midnight Grey metallic 20” wheels). The vehicle is for my wife. She is currently driving a Lincoln Navigator with over 160k miles. It is becoming increasingly unreliable. The car recently lost power on the highway, and needed a throttle body replaced. Not an expensive repair, but we are concerned that more breakdowns and more expensive repairs may be coming soon.

In October, I ordered a MYP as an emergency back up vehicle. My delivery window is currently Nov 21-Dec 15. As my wife’s car is currently running well, I wanted to defer this delivery, probably for a month initially. Has anyone deferred an order recently, and, if so, did they get a VIN assigned at the end of the specified deferral period, or was it delayed? I don’t want to defer for a month, and then have it be three months before I get another shot at the vehicle.

Reactions: Fulkth
The good news is that we are seeing a higher frequency in VIN assigments… this is good
Remember that this chat probably represents about 1% of the total Universe of MX waiting customers…. So for every VIN we see here, that means Tesla assigned 100… so thinks are moving faster now.
Agreed though I’lll bet that those looking at this board represents— who knows — maybe 1 in 6 or 7, I have no idea really, but I would guess that anyone waiting this long car a car is an enthusiast and decent number of them are trolling the board… maybe wishful thinking who knows…

Reactions: TWENT2 and Fulkth
FWIW, I appreciate my SA even if he lacks the information as he always replies to my text inquiries and often times it within five minutes.

Me: Hi. Any updates on delivering more Model X’s. I see a lot on the lots but haven’t heard of many deliveries. Thanks!

SA: Nothing just yet. We are currently only delivering the 6 seat configuration on the X at the moment!

Me: Thanks for replying! Greatly appreciate it! Would you happen to have any insights on why they are only delivering 6 seat configurations and not the 7 or 5’s?

SA: They are making sure these cars are absolutely perfect. They have perfected the build on the 6 seat for quality. Then they will love on to the 5 and 7 — not sure which order they will follow for those. Of course!

This SA definitely has the heart.

FWIW, I appreciate my SA even if he lacks the information as he always replies to my text inquiries and often times it within five minutes.

Me: Hi. Any updates on delivering more Model X’s. I see a lot on the lots but haven’t heard of many deliveries. Thanks!

SA: Nothing just yet. We are currently only delivering the 6 seat configuration on the X at the moment!

Me: Thanks for replying! Greatly appreciate it! Would you happen to have any insights on why they are only delivering 6 seat configurations and not the 7 or 5’s?

SA: They are making sure these cars are absolutely perfect. They have perfected the build on the 6 seat for quality. Then they will love on to the 5 and 7 — not sure which order they will follow for those. Of course!

This SA definitely has the heart.
Ah yes, my missing rear mat and trunk board, and slightly misaligned center glass piece between the FWDs, and vehicle requiring a restart to get it to not used the backup speaker or enable presenting doors.. perfection.

Ah yes, my missing rear mat and trunk board, and slightly misaligned center glass piece between the FWDs, and vehicle requiring a restart to get it to not used the backup speaker or enable presenting doors.. perfection.
@Fulkth .. thanks a lot for all these helpful responses.

I’m in a dilemma here, and I hope you can help me to resolve it. I do have model Y 2020 and the reason I am looking to purchase model X is that I am not happy with the road & cabin noise and ride quality, I don’t want to replace the car, pay more and get the same quality.

Would please update us in regards to these two issues, cabin noise on freeway harsh roads and ride quality?

X has an air suspension with adaptive shocks. They ride smoothly at low and cruising speeds, but firm up at higher speeds and in strong cornering. This provides a wonderful balance of both smooth ride and high performance handling.

Cabin noise will depend on how well your individual X is assembled. Some will run quieter than others. In my 2019 they it had some wind noise at higher speeds. The service center put in some additional sealant (known issue) in the A pillar and it became the quietest vehicle I have ever owned.

Interior noise is also partially dependent on the road surface. Some roads are wisper quiet, while others can filter into the interior.

All this aside, the New X is supposed to be equipped with active noise cancellation, where the sound system speakers will produce cancelling sound waves to reduce interior ambient. Could be just what you are looking for.

I remember reading this article a few weeks ago and getting excited. The article was saying that updates would happen early-mid Q4. We are mid Q4 and aren’t seeing any updates but are seeing some changes to the app which may be news that updates are coming. It also says more specific date ranges would be added to our accounts, haven’t seen any of that. This is tough waiting it out, trying to decipher what these little changes mean all the while trying to make a decision on what to do with our car situation (currently without a car) because of the EDD’s that have come and gone and an original message about deliveries starting early 2021. I ordered pre-refresh and have heard zero from SA, they won’t respond to any message, EDD says Jan. Hopefully we see some changes to dates and a little more info to help make key decisions. Here’s to hoping. Tesla expects more clarity on Model X next month

My center piece is misaligned too, though I think it’s actually plastic to look like glass. I believe it causes a lot of wind noise but I was never able to get them to fix. “It’s within tolerance “

Reactions: Fulkth
@Fulkth .. thanks a lot for all these helpful responses.

I’m in a dilemma here, and I hope you can help me to resolve it. I do have model Y 2020 and the reason I am looking to purchase model X is that I am not happy with the road & cabin noise and ride quality, I don’t want to replace the car, pay more and get the same quality.

Would please update us in regards to these two issues, cabin noise on freeway harsh roads and ride quality?
I think you’ll be disappointed if you’re buying for a quitter ride. My ears can’t pick up much difference from road noise but my X is far worse for wind noise. It doesn’t seem like it’s improved much.

Agreed though I’lll bet that those looking at this board represents— who knows — maybe 1 in 6 or 7, I have no idea really, but I would guess that anyone waiting this long car a car is an enthusiast and decent number of them are trolling the board… maybe wishful thinking who knows…
My assumption was 200 blog participants ( spreadsheet with info has 148…) and 20,000 outstanding orders… a normal Model X 1 yr sales. I don’t think the blog represents more than 1.5% tops… but again, is just a guess.

You have hit the nail on the head. Starting to wonder if it’s a mistake to lock In a $100k investment in a product made by a dumpster fire of a company run by an egomaniac who seems more concerned about spaceships and moronic memes than building cars.
Yeah about that… I objectively beg to differ.

I am open-eye aware Elon is very human. But he is explicitly working, extremely diligently, for the good of all of humanity. He has created billions of dollars of tangible value, though he could care less except as it elevates humanity on a scale few have ever seriously thought possible let alone attempted.

MEANWHILE, he and his colleagues are, metaphorically, working uphill in a blizzard with hail being thrown at them — all while the world economy is choking.

Respectfully, on very objective basis, while one would have to be brain dead to not notice that the customer service needs ahem, vast improvement, I am willing to wait for this *One-Off UNICORN* of a vehicle while these engineers, or should I more properly say, Magicians, accelerate an exciting future to us through Tesla, SpaceX, Neuralink, the Boring Company, and whatever else I’m missing at the moment.

Once you begin to understand the whole plotline, you may realize you have encountered something that is far bigger than anything else in many centuries. We are witnessing perhaps the critical moments on a cosmic scale before humanity breaks through the Great Filter.

Grasping this is like awakening out of the Matrix but where the Matrix is apocalyptic wasteland and you open your eyes to an exciting and incredible world beyond what you’ve been living in.

I get it. It’s ABSOLUTELY HAIR PULLING. BUT no, it’s certainly not your traditional car company. It’s so much more.

Hang in there.

Cancel your order then if you are unhappy.

Funny. Or not.
Teslas’ quality is like a fairy tale. A real one though.

Of course Musk has so many orders that if he loses a customer or two - no one would notice. Or a thousand for that matter.

But damn, this quality thing could be a deal breaker.
Personally i hate driving cheaply made cars.
If a car has a 100k sticker - this must be a top build. No flying roofs. No rattles. No missing pieces.

What am i missing here?