Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you're the first AZ VINner on this forum! Congratulations! Since we're only 4 gas tanks away from Fremont, I'm sure that it'll come this year. I'm hoping that I get my VIN and we share a truck! My delivery center got moved from Scottsdale to Mesa for some reason.
Nope, got my vin last Tuesday pick up should be this Thursday or Friday :))

Random question and also a suggestion possibly for the google tracking sheet…
How many people in this forum waiting on their X are first time Tesla owners? How many are first time Model X owners?
I have owned two Model 3 performances (2019 and 2021) traded in my 19 for the 21 because trade in value was so high and was/am waiting for my Model S LR to be delivered.. MSM X is for my wife (first time Tesla).. white is for sister (first time Tesla)
First time Tesla owner but I have owned an EV since 2017 (Hyundai Ioniq Electric).

Reactions: flippingrich
I was more so just seeing how many people have experienced the awesomeness that comes with owning a Tesla, and also seeing how many people are repeat X buyers.. I have two friends that have owned them, one traded it in for the Y the other still has it and loves it.. The one who traded it in for the Y was not a fan of the FWD.. He said they were awesome to "show off" but annoying with kids getting knocked out by them jk lol but seriously he said that the doors were annoying in certain situations and for him it was enough to move to the Y.. He loved Tesla but the doors were too much.. Anyone else thats owned an X want to talk through that? I have two little ones (3 and 1) and my wife and I are hyped to get them in and out of the doors, but didn't think through the "knocking them in their face" part of it.. lol
I’ve never had that issue with my kids or myself. Biggest benefit to the doors is the convenience with kids. I’ve never felt a safety issue with them or thought they came close to knocking me in the face. Some common sense may apply, I guess, but…

Random question and also a suggestion possibly for the google tracking sheet…
How many people in this forum waiting on their X are first time Tesla owners? How many are first time Model X owners?
I have owned two Model 3 performances (2019 and 2021) traded in my 19 for the 21 because trade in value was so high and was/am waiting for my Model S LR to be delivered.. MSM X is for my wife (first time Tesla).. white is for sister (first time Tesla)

My first Tesla. MX for my wife. CT on order for me. First time electric also.

Try using a HoloLens. The FoV is so much smaller. Meta’s new “Pro” VR headset should be out this coming year. I’ll be upgrading my Quest 2 then.
Negative 0% chance I’d ever allow a Mark Zuckerberg related product into my family. I’ll focus on buying things where I’m not the product. With all of our Teslas, at least I know I’m not an ad target. FB is the single-most destructive company in modern times. I encourage everyone to stay away from them.

I was more so just seeing how many people have experienced the awesomeness that comes with owning a Tesla, and also seeing how many people are repeat X buyers.. I have two friends that have owned them, one traded it in for the Y the other still has it and loves it.. The one who traded it in for the Y was not a fan of the FWD.. He said they were awesome to "show off" but annoying with kids getting knocked out by them jk lol but seriously he said that the doors were annoying in certain situations and for him it was enough to move to the Y.. He loved Tesla but the doors were too much.. Anyone else thats owned an X want to talk through that? I have two little ones (3 and 1) and my wife and I are hyped to get them in and out of the doors, but didn't think through the "knocking them in their face" part of it.. lol

Just have to train them to not stand in the path of the door. Once the little ones are strapped into the car seat, no chance they'll get hit by the doors. The door creates a roof that blocks the sun/rain and makes it very easy to strap kids in. Compared to our 3, the X is much better in that regard.

However there are a few annoyances, mainly around false obstacle sensing. If the sun is too hot / shining directly on the car, 80% of the time they won't open. We have to manually press the door handle, then reach in under to manually hold the button to override. It also is conservative in parking garages. We expect it and know how to deal with it at this point, and its better than the alternative (i.e. hitting things), so I guess it's an OK tradeoff.

I'm hoping to "try before I buy" with the subscription. Anyone have any experience with that? And what is the latest consensus of the new beta versions? Some Y owners I know say FSD is not at all worth the cost, but that was pre-beta...
I personally like the subscription option. And I've had the past few beta versions(not the newest one tho). My experience is that it is generally a good experience overall. However, it does dumb things quite often so you really have to pay attention. From what I have heard the newest 10.6.1 beta is great. But it depends on the type of roads you drive as some people don't like the way the beta performs where they drive.

You shouldn't really run into any issues at that age. I got my first X when my kids were 2, 5, and 7. FWD are amazing for car seats. Kids learned pretty quickly not to stand under the door when it was closing and I tend to control all door opening and closing from the fob so they just walk up to the car and the doors open for them and then I close them from the touch screen when I get in the car (or if it's cold I close them from the fob once they are in). I have noticed that when I'm driving around friends of the kids or picking them up from school sometimes a kid/teacher will stand right in front of the door and it won't open all the way, but I try and start opening it when no one is there - you kind of just figure out the right scenarios to do everything. I'm super jealous that you already got a VIN from Cincinnati... maybe I need to call around and ask what's going on with mine tomorrow...

The newest Fremont drone flyover is out.
I bet that the MX at Minute 29:00 is a Plaid!
It has the older silver wheels… they haven’t made those in a while… if it were an MX, why would they be testing a months-old MX as they’re actively producing vehicles to be delivered? With all of the testing that was going on in this video, I have a feeling that our fellow Plaid waiters are going to here some good news in the next month or so…. Or should I say “Two weeks…”
9B695C2B-AB41-46D1-96C3-69C0CD20334D.jpeg

I'm hoping to "try before I buy" with the subscription. Anyone have any experience with that? And what is the latest consensus of the new beta versions? Some Y owners I know say FSD is not at all worth the cost, but that was pre-beta...
My experience started with a 2021 Model Y With Radar, it was flawless. I used autopilot everywhere i went. At the time i had purchased the FSD option, so it was everything i wanted. But the little voice in the back of my head said why didn't you order a model Y performance. So i sold my LR for a performance, The performance has "True Vision" without a radar. Autopilot is the biggest pile of garbage without radar in my opinion. I paid for the subscription just to test the FSD Beta, but have since opted out of paying for it.
That being said, I purchased my Model X with FSD full price, because at least for now the MX still uses radar.. I should hope theyll improve it a LOT more before disabling radar on their premium line of cars..

I agree with the feedback others gave. You will figure out how/when to open the doors based on the scenario. They are cool, but can be annoying to wait for. My kids all drive now, but when I had my P100D, I picked one of them up in the school line. They did not like the attention and flashiness the doors commanded. On upside, if I was in a driveway, picking up my mother-in-law, with the doors fully open, it felt like you could literally walk right into the car without breaking stride. It's really cool.

I often commented to my wife that I wished they'd get rid of the FWD's. That said, I actually think I prefer them. It just makes and X an X, if that makes any sense.

Negative 0% chance I’d ever allow a Mark Zuckerberg related product into my family. I’ll focus on buying things where I’m not the product. With all of our Teslas, at least I know I’m not an ad target. FB is the single-most destructive company in modern times. I encourage everyone to stay away from them.
I would certainly prefer Oculus had no Facebook association. 😕
Apart from that, it’s an impressive piece of hardware and the games are pretty good! 👍🏻

Facebook: enjoy the ads: you’re the product.
Tesla: enjoy the products: you’re the ad.
☺️

The FwD can be annoying in some scenarios. Low garages, tight spaces, and in direct sunlight / heat they act up. They are slow in a hurry But for me the benefits of loading kids, bags with as much space as possible outweighs the drawbacks. Is a bigger benefit. I’m a repeat X buyer would be my 4th tesla when it comes in. Traded in my X 3 weeks ago for a Y because the trade in was so good. The original plan was to get the Y and hold the X until the new X came in but couldn’t pass up the opportunity. I paid 96,000 for my X 3 years ago and got 83,000 grade in from tesla. 13K off what I paid for it with 35,000 miles on it

Last edited: