Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How long is it typically from VIN being assigned to delivery date?
The quickest I have seen while tracking this thread is 2 days in So Cal. It seems to be 2-3 weeks on the East Coast.

At this point though, I think anyone could see a rapid 3 day delivery time. There are lots being delivered by end of year and we know they only give people 3 days to take delivery or it’s on to the next person in line. If you are next in line, I’m guessing you only get 3 days as well….

Random question and also a suggestion possibly for the google tracking sheet…
How many people in this forum waiting on their X are first time Tesla owners? How many are first time Model X owners?
I have owned two Model 3 performances (2019 and 2021) traded in my 19 for the 21 because trade in value was so high and was/am waiting for my Model S LR to be delivered.. MSM X is for my wife (first time Tesla).. white is for sister (first time Tesla)
I have an 2017 X already and am buying an X and a Y (selling older Porsche and older Prius plug-in.)

In 2017 I leased the X because I was worried that Tesla might go bust. In May 2021, I bought out the Lease. Also, buying the two new cars, not leasing (I tend to keep cars 10-15 years...)

Very happy with the car AND the Company (ok... some things can improve, but the product / charging network is several years ahead of the competition.)

I'm hoping to "try before I buy" with the subscription. Anyone have any experience with that? And what is the latest consensus of the new beta versions? Some Y owners I know say FSD is not at all worth the cost, but that was pre-beta...
I bought FSD in 2018 when it was only a $3k upgrade over the $5k price for basic stuff like lane following. I originally ordered our X with FSD, just in case it went up in price a lot, but i recently just took it off my order. The normal FSD is not bad for highways, but FSD beta seems pretty terrible (my experience so far is only a few minutes with a friend's car). I'm guessing it is still multiple years out before being really useful. It just isn't worth $10k right now, and i think will barely be worth that when it actually functions correctly. I do wish I could transfer it from my 3 to the X though, since it will probably become our road trip car... I think the only thing i'll really miss is the ability to lane change without taking it out of lane following mode.

Reactions: mattv123
I bought FSD in 2018 when it was only a $3k upgrade over the $5k price for basic stuff like lane following. I originally ordered our X with FSD, just in case it went up in price a lot, but i recently just took it off my order. The normal FSD is not bad for highways, but FSD beta seems pretty terrible (my experience so far is only a few minutes with a friend's car). I'm guessing it is still multiple years out before being really useful. It just isn't worth $10k right now, and i think will barely be worth that when it actually functions correctly. I do wish I could transfer it from my 3 to the X though, since it will probably become our road trip car... I think the only thing i'll really miss is the ability to lane change without taking it out of lane following mode.
Yeah the auto-lane-change thing is really weird because my AP1 Model X does that. There was no such thing as FSD or even Enhanced Autopilot when I bought mine. I guess when they switched to their own hardware it was one of those things that took a while to re-implement so they kept it separate from the "regular autopilot". FSD is only 8K for me, so I'm sticking with it. I kept my last X for a while, so I figure I will keep this one for a while as well.

I have an 2017 X already and am buying an X and a Y (selling older Porsche and older Prius plug-in.)

In 2017 I leased the X because I was worried that Tesla might go bust. In May 2021, I bought out the Lease. Also, buying the two new cars, not leasing (I tend to keep cars 10-15 years...)

Very happy with the car AND the Company (ok... some things can improve, but the product / charging network is several years ahead of the competition.)
Do you recommend getting Tesla's extended warranty at purchase for long-term buyers?

Want to add FSD, how can I add it if I've already

The FwD can be annoying in some scenarios. Low garages, tight spaces, and in direct sunlight / heat they act up. They are slow in a hurry But for me the benefits of loading kids, bags with as much space as possible outweighs the drawbacks. Is a bigger benefit. I’m a repeat X buyer would be my 4th tesla when it comes in. Traded in my X 3 weeks ago for a Y because the trade in was so good. The original plan was to get the Y and hold the X until the new X came in but couldn’t pass up the opportunity. I paid 96,000 for my X 3 years ago and got 83,000 grade in from tesla. 13K off what I paid for it with 35,000 miles on it
Funny benefit to the FWDs is if its raining you can load groceries and probably hook kids into car seats and get less wet. Haha

Hello all, Picked up my MX. LR 20in MSM on Friday at Fremont Factory. Original appointment at 12pm, got pushed down to 4pm and then got another update that it is ready at 3pm. Everything looks great! Will post pictures shortly.

If you are picking up from the Fremont factory - it is a touchless delivery. i.e., there is nobody there to assist with anything. The phone app opens the car and the documents and keys are inside.

I use FSD daily. I also purchased it when it was low priced at $2K. The only commute I currently do is to drop off the kids at school which is a 10-mile commute each way through city streets (no highway). I will say before describing my experience is that you have to get used to it. You can't just ride with a friend and expect to understand it. It's hard to explain what I mean by that, but you just learn to know your car and its behavior. Yes, it's far from perfect, but it's improving.

Now, about my experience. If you were going on a straight road for miles on end, it would behave just like it does on highways... flawlessly, including auto-lane changes. You do have phantom braking from time to time and I even have radar on my M3. However, I think the latest updates have disabled it (I'm on the latest update). It recognizes lights well and has run a few 'late yellow/early red' lights, but I made sure there were no cars around while letting it do its thing. It also recognizes the speed limits very well and adjusts without hiccups like it used to in the past.

So, where does it suck? a) construction sites. it just doesn't know what to do half of the time and errors out, b) turns (left/right). it acts as if it is scared to make the turn and even asks you to press the pedal when you feel it's safe at times. If it's a turn on flashing yellow, good luck with that. You will be sitting waiting forever from my experience. It always wants a green light. And c) in neighborhoods, on roads where it's an L road, but has a rounded corner at the turn, it freaks out for me. Thinks it's a road going into a house. Weird stuff. But keep in mind that my list used to be much longer. It has improved with every update. It hasn't tried to kill me in a few weeks so that's good. By that I mean when I first got it, it tried to go against traffic a few times.

Is it worth purchasing with your MX? That depends on your situation. If you think you'll be keeping this vehicle long term, then sure. Why not? If you plan on upgrading once the new batteries come out, then no. You can just subscribe and pay a fraction of the cost, hopefully. I personally did not add it to my MX because I personally don't think it's worth 10K at the moment. If I ever need it for a road trip, I can easily subscribe for the month. And if Tesla ever announces a new price hike, they are usually good at giving a heads up and you can purchase it then.

Hello all, Picked up my MX. LR 20in MSM on Friday at Fremont Factory. Original appointment at 12pm, got pushed down to 4pm and then got another update that it is ready at 3pm. Everything looks great! Will post pictures shortly.

If you are picking up from the Fremont factory - it is a touchless delivery. i.e., there is nobody there to assist with anything. The phone app opens the car and the documents and keys are inside.
Congrats dude!!!

Wow, that is a very long time for picking up at Fremont....Did you ever ask why it took so long to schedule your delivery date? And Congrats on the car!
Thank you! They said that they had to move the car from storage and do a lot of inspection.

Tried everything tactic to move the date up, was not successful. But very happy with the car.