Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got a VIN. Checked it and it is a 2022 with 26 miles. Order date 8/1/2021. MSM 6 seat FSD. Dunno if I’ll pay yet or do insurance since I haven’t heard from SA. Delivery still says February.
Happy for you but really WTF...Aug 1 of this year and you already have a VIN....to those that have been waiting for a year that's total bull poo poo

Happy for you but really WTF...Aug 1 of this year and you already have a VIN....to those that have been waiting for a year that's total bull poo poo
Yeh. I was actually wanting it to be after first of year anyway. This is my second Tesla so I am familiar with their complete lack of customer service and communication so par for the course. It’s all just random.

I called Tesla and said I ain’t paying or getting insurance until I have more details on pickup and to make sure VIN doesn’t get pulled. Waiting to hear back.

Reactions: croman
There have only been two times Tesla has reached out to me unprovoked since I placed my order in March. The first was in October to ask if I wanted to upgrade to the 6 seater for a delivery this year (which I begrudgingly accepted) and the second was today...just to tell me I can expect delivery in February. I sent a follow up question about it still being a placeholder or if there is something new and no response.

I just got an interesting call from my SA, who confirmed that I wouldn’t be getting a VIN or taking delivery until at least Q1 (I’m a 1/29/21 original 6-seater order). But she said that since I was concerned about the Canadian luxury tax which was supposed to kick in January 1, I could switch my MX order to a Model S Plaid and take delivery before the end of the year. (In fact the new law hasn’t been passed yet so we may have a couple of months leeway on that tax.) I didn’t pursue that at all, so I have no idea what the pricing would have been for the Model S Plaid. The other thing she said was that the reason my trade-in request disappeared was that there was no point in them giving a quote for a trade-in until a VIN is confirmed, since the used car market is so volatile, but that I should call her asap when there’s a VIN and she’ll re-instate the trade-in and get a quote.

That's interesting. I was considering buying an inventory Plaid S given there is no indication when Canadian X deliveries will begin and when I reached out to Tesla there was no effort to convince me to purchase the S Plaid instead which on the one side is nice since the dealership pressure model I hate but on the other hand it made such a luxury expensive purchase seem unimportant to Tesla so it contributed to making me decide to just wait for the X .

"Without breaking a stride"

The really underrated part of the X is the self opening/closing front doors. When you are holding two coffees in your hand and the door opens for you as you're walking up, you step in and press the brake and the door closes, its amazing. Same with exiting, if your hands are full and you walk away from the car with only the driver's side door open, it will close itself and lock. I know it sounds like a gimmick, but this is one of the main things I miss (besides autopilot) when we have to drive any other car.
I do love that... but if it is parked on a major street (e.g., Pacific Coast Highway in Laguna Beach) where there is not much space for passing cars, the automatic door opening scares the heebee-geebees out of the passing traffic... so, I have disabled it... kind of sad... and I still like the powered front doors very much.

The X is a really unique car - And it is a pleasure to drive.

One comment - since lots of people were good stuff about the FWDs.... Those are heavy doors, and while the sensors do a very good at avoiding things, I would be very careful with fingers wedged between doors and body... especially for little children or very elderly people which want to keep their hands on the pillar...

Yesterday, I checked my account and February changed to TBD for no apparent reason. This morning I checked again and VIN!!!!

7SAXCBE52NF3289##

Original order was pre refresh on 1/7/2021
Long range, 6 seater, white/white, 20" rims, FSD and I've made no changes since I placed the order. Currently my estimated delivery is still TBD. Not sure where I'll be picking it up. I think they do delivery in Rockville Maryland but I'm not sure.
On Friday, my VIN showed up and today they called me to say it should be arriving at the SC on the 27th . I asked about the $2,000 pre-refresh discount and he said that it was noted on my account and should be reflected in the final price as it gets closer to the delivery date. If everything goes as planned, I should be picking it up the next day on the 28th. It'll be 10 days short of a year since I ordered it.

Here you go

My Model X Delivery Day Checklist

I still think a checklist is necessary because it will still be up to you to accept or reject the delivery and what better time to make sure you don't have a lemon than just before you take the thing.

-> of note, once you select "accept delivery" from your account, the car is yours no matter what you find. You'd have to schedule a service appointment yourself which may be a better choice than just roundly rejecting delivery.
-> also I don't recommend hunting for panel gaps from an aesthetic point of view, look for day light otherwise you'll just be told it is within specifications. Think safety and function.

Abbreviated Checklist: Model X Delivery-Pickup Checklist 2.0.docx

Updated Full Checklist: Model X Delivery-Pickup Checklist 1.2.docx

YouTube/IG/Twitter: Falcon Fuel

Update as to why I got a ViN when my order date is 8/1/21. This car was at delivery site and precious customer “couldn’t get financing in order” so they assigned to me since I was next match for that site and build. They said they of course must deliver before end of year so if I don’t want it they will assign to someone else.
Lucky man.