Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WE NEED MORE DETAILS!!!
He said plaids are starting and we should start to see them in January. These are a priority for the company. I don’t have a vin yet. 9/2021 Black/cream/6/plaid. My app also changed today with a mange line under reservation number and car is being built tile, insurance tiles etc.. when view button is selected ..didn’t have this yesterday.

No new Vins today that I saw. Thought there would be many each day now
Seems like they are prioritizing later, higher priced, orders now and skipping the earlier ones. I suspect more forum members are early orders than later. They did the same with some S orders for each end of Q. I’d expect earlier reservations getting vins again in Jan/Feb/Mar before balancing out again.

Reactions: peter21581
Just venting but still No VIN and I’m close to tapping out and either waiting for the 4680 version or looking at lower alternatives. Question for everyone - if they bring Austin up with structural 4680 packs in a model Y v2, providing much greater range, lower cost, potentially much better build quality, better non water based paint quality, etc. than we are paying now for X’s, can you honestly say you’ll be happy with your decision or will it sour you on Tesla like I think it would me? Yeah we get a more usable third row and increased width with an X but a v2 Y sounds like it could be an X killer again until the X gets its next improvements and with current ramp issues, who knows if that’ll ever be possible.

• Informative
Reactions: KidsEyeDr
Just venting but still No VIN and I’m close to tapping out and either waiting for the 4680 version or looking at lower alternatives. Question for everyone - if they bring Austin up with structural 4680 packs in a model Y v2, providing much greater range, lower cost, potentially much better build quality, better non water based paint quality, etc. than we are paying now for X’s, can you honestly say you’ll be happy with your decision or will it sour you on Tesla like I think it would me? Yeah we get a more usable third row and increased width with an X but a v2 Y sounds like it could be an X killer again until the X gets its next improvements and with current ramp issues, who knows if that’ll ever be possible.
The X isn’t getting “next improvements” for years. They can barely ramp the current improvements

I know you’re frustrated but the Y and X are completely different vehicles, and the X will be worth it

Eh, I’m in the market for an X due to the interior space for the family… there’s nothing they could do to the Y to tempt me. Though if Tesla does eventually release something a bit bigger than an X… The minivan holds all the people AND all the cargo, just sayin’…. (I have high hopes for the frunk to help make up the difference, but still, we’ve road-tripped in the minivan with 6 bikes plus two weeks of gear… that might be a two-Tesla operation even with an X.)

I think it’s a mistake to assume 4680 will bring greater range. I think tesla will use it to bring similar range with fewer cells needed per car - maximizing the number of cars they can create while reducing costs. High range is a niche use case - even though I want it, it’s for when I’m road-tripping or towing an RV which won’t be super often. The other 95% of the year I might drive 25-30 miles a day which is probably true of the vast majority of buyers. Even those with a long commute might drive 120 roundtrip.

With tesla you will always Osborne effect yourself - they make major changes with no warning within a model year. Model X won’t have 4680 until the next refresh so maybe 2027, 2028?

My vote is, buy what actually exists and then just trade that in for high value to swap to the next new thing whenever you feel too behind. Used car values aren’t going to tank given we’ve had years of difficult new vehicle production across the board by every manufacturer.

He said plaids are starting and we should start to see them in January. These are a priority for the company. I don’t have a vin yet. 9/2021 Black/cream/6/plaid. My app also changed today with a mange line under reservation number and car is being built tile, insurance tiles etc.. when view button is selected ..didn’t have this yesterday.
I check in with Mohammed at the STL service center periodically. Last I heard, he knew nothing about Plaids. Did you talk to him or someone else?

This is some scary stuff, I'm hoping and praying this is not the case with my $130K car.
No kidding. Old chemistry, unsure of the durability of the pack would be a big issue. Tells me to read every single line of fine print and inspect the vehicle thoroughly before committing.

No kidding. Old chemistry, unsure of the durability of the pack would be a big issue. Tells me to read every single line of fine print and inspect the vehicle thoroughly before committing.
I know I've asked a few people that has pickup their new X to check the battery with no response. Now maybe we'll get a response.

This is some scary stuff, I'm hoping and praying this is not the case with my $130K car.
Not going into "defend Tesla" mode here, but I can see them using every battery pack available to minimize waste for a vehicle that is to be used as a demonstrator. These cars lead a hard life and then before they show the effects of the test drives, Tesla sells them to once again recycle. This is a used car in every sense of the word. As a win-win, Tesla is able to recoup and recycle, and someone gets a "newish" car at a steep discount. I only think this is a problem due to the "small print" aspect. Yes, communication isn't the strong suit...