Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I now feel like a chump with only a bachelors and 3 masters. I wanna be called Doctor too, damn it! PhD is in my future now. I always joked with my siblings that once I accomplished 3 Masters Programs, that my title would become Supreme Master which sounds WAY better than Doctor. But a PhD is something I always planned on doing as I want to teach at a university as a retirement job.
Damn, so my GED isn't good here 🤷🏾

It's a nice idea but that won't be an option for you. The captain's chairs cannot be swapped with the 3 person bench. The floor mounting is different for each.

I feel for your dilemma. I'm confused why Tesla didn't make the captain's chairs removable or fold forward. If they had, they would be getting $3k more from me. I actually love the captain's chairs. Perfect for our 4 person family (with a dog) and adds the option to carry a couple more. The 3rd row folded gives us plenty of weekend getaway hauling space. I didn't decline the 6 seat "acceleration" option because I didn't want to spend $3k. I declined because I wouldn't get the car we want.
Well, at this point you're not at a loss given that so many of those conversion 6 seater who were promised December deliveries have yet to hear anything on it. I was on the fence on this one as well, but opted in despite the shortcomings as you mention - lack of folding of the captains. I figured it'll be more comfortable for the kids with the captains, so went for it after a day's thought - a balance along with the "accelerated" delivery. Tesla could have done more with these seats had they put any effort into it. The captains should have had cooling, armrests and maybe even a wireless charger on a fold-away table.

If Tesla considers this "accelerating" they need to talk with their Plaid team about it.

I sure didn’t.I ordered June 2021 as well and haven’t gotten any communication outside of this forum….Are you sure it was no charge? What happened to the $3000 up charge we heard about.?
I'm assuming it's because I texted them proactively when I noticed last week that only six seat Plaids could be ordered. They responded that indeed they would not fulfill my original order, but that I could switch to the six seater at no charge, cancel my order, or switch to a five seat LR model. If I switched to the LR model it would be at full current cost and I might not get delivery until May 2023.

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
Sadly the recent tone in society is deleting the word "Master" due to its limited usage in Slavery. My job title as a Scrum Master has been changed to Scrum Expert. My Master Bedroom is now Main Bedroom. So soon you'll be re-defined and have to say "I accomplished 3 Masters Expert Programs"
I am sure even Tesla will not be immune.. Master of Coin will become Coin Expert.

We will see...
Limited?

Yeah that’s the part that makes me angry. The X and S are delayed so much because everything is focused on the cheaper mass market models that are being produced in newer and better factories. It’s like, I get it - if you can make 20 model Y in the time it takes to get 1 X out the door your margins are actually way better and you get to collect money from customers fast before you owe suppliers under your payment terms.

From a purely financial standpoint it makes total sense why they would do it, but from a consumer standpoint the “halo” cars should be a priority.
I have a different take. If Tesla's goal is "to accelerate the worlds transition to sustainable energy", the best way to do that as a car company is to flood the landscape with unbeatable electric cars. If you can make 10 model Y's at the same time as 1 Faberge egg Model X, you only have one option. I love my Model X dearly, but that model is not expected to be the best seller of all cars, like the Model Y is. Their goal may not be yours, but it has been repeated over and over by Elon.

Some of the smartest and most successful people I know "only" have a high school education. School of hard knocks is the best education. I have a bachelors, Professional Certificate and college cert. in World Travel Management.
Yep. As you-know-who said, school teaches students to answer the question, putting a straitjacket on their thinking.

I mean the only nice thing with that would be sending Waze to the big screen but otherwise I have no idea as CarPlay isn’t like incredibly amazing.
Tesla NAV has been beating the tar out of Waze over the last week of my 40 minute commute. The Nav also has been way more quickly changing routes when it calculates quicker arrivals. Waze is underestimating the arrival times by 15 minutes, consistently. Not sure why. If this continues, the last CarPlay holdout of mine is gone forever.

I’m wondering if with the New CCS Model S getting Matrix headlights will the X get them too? I’m one of the lighting weirdos that I actually would push my delivery back just to get the better headlights. My delivery is one of the February ones So by the time February or later… comes around I hope the the new MX lights appear and make it to production cars!

This makes me furious at this point. I am waiting 13 month for this unicorn car that I am not even sure that exist. Is Tesla doing this because I am not paying their current price and one of the pre refresh order? Because I am not paying enough???? I don't understand why people who ordered wayyyyyy after me got their cars already. I didn't even get tbd from my status once. This is nonsense. I am one of their "priority order". White exterior, black interior, 6 seaters, no fsd. Ordered on Dec 29, 2020 from Los Angeles.
I feel your pain. It makes no sense.
It can’t be price because I also have a 2020 pre-refresh reservation number and pricing. They called asking me to switch to 6 seater in October but I refused wanting to keep my 5 seat price. Had I agreed, we’d be paying the same As you.

Have you had your order checked lately? Could there be something stalling you order?
Have you changed your contact information in the last year?

I would think with you being in LA and a pre-refresh order you’d be one of the first deliveries for 6 seater.

Sorry you’re being treated this way…. Please keep us updated!

Good Luck 🤞

The captain chairs are not removable, at least not user-removable. They don’t fold flat, so if you need the cargo space to haul large items wider than the asile between the 2 captains, you can’t. If you just need to haul up to 10 ft long wood etc. then it’s still doable. When you put 5 people in the 6 seaters, you lose about half your trunk space. When you have 3 kids and get a 6 seater, good luck convincing one of them to sit in the back.
we have 4 6'+ boys and none of them care who goes in the 3rd row. Some like it because its further away and 'quiet'. Others don't because its hard to hear what mom/dad say from back there. I'm 6'3 and I don't mind riding back there. Leg room is absolutely awesome putting legs down the middle.

Tesla NAV has been beating the tar out of Waze over the last week of my 40 minute commute. The Nav also has been way more quickly changing routes when it calculates quicker arrivals. Waze is underestimating the arrival times by 15 minutes, consistently. Not sure why. If this continues, the last CarPlay holdout of mine is gone forever.
But it won’t help you at all with cops..which when you have such a fast car can sometimes be a problem :p. Also I’ve really appreciated Waze warnings about junk in the road - has saved me several times where things have fallen off vehicles into the road such as chairs, lumber, or big pieces of tires.

I have a different take. If Tesla's goal is "to accelerate the worlds transition to sustainable energy", the best way to do that as a car company is to flood the landscape with unbeatable electric cars. If you can make 10 model Y's at the same time as 1 Faberge egg Model X, you only have one option. I love my Model X dearly, but that model is not expected to be the best seller of all cars, like the Model Y is. Their goal may not be yours, but it has been repeated over and over by Elon.
While I don't disagree with you, the question is why do we have to differentiate? It's not an "either/or" situation - the Model S/X are made on a separate line than the Model 3/Y. For the most part, parts and such are not shared between the platforms - even the batteries and packs are different. From what I'm seeing the missing/delayed parts are specific to the Model S/X lines.

I get it if Tesla focuses on the 3/Y since that's Tesla's endgame, but I'm not seeing where the overlap is an issue - unless it's staffing. Even so, it's looking like Tesla will only be increasing 3/Y production this year when Austin comes on line...soon, followed by Berlin.

Of course everything stated is essentially speculative hearsay since Tesla hasn't really communicated much, if anything, in the past months as to what's going on - and THAT is truly the crux of the problem.

I ordered a LR-X 5 seater in June 2021 (EDD "Feb") to replace my aging OG 2016MX90D (bought CPO in 2018). In the last 12 months, that car has been in the service center 10 times. At this point, I think most of the internal components have been replaced under warranty which expires in July 2022. I really hope I'm able to get my new X by then because I'm trading this in and would hate to start paying a fortune for repairs.

Yes, ”LIMITED”. From the dawn of the spoken word, it’s use throughout the ages, the amount of time scumbags were slavers and the word master was used as a noun was limited and was also used in various other contexts. There is no need to negate a word which is used in multiple facets of life simply because in one case it was horrific.
We should decry the use of master for one person owning an other person. But the English vernacular uses the word in many other terms.

didn’t mean to be triggering.

I love CarPlay for Waze which allows me to see where the cops are — this is absolutely invaluable… I also use it for a bunch of other apps like texting through Siri which works pretty well but those aren’t as key as the Waze….
I’m pretty sure FSD is going to offer live exact speed trap locations. Obviously should be easy with AI.
Like FSD should be a snap. And wiper speed. 🤣
But seriously, I am pretty sure Elon commented about the idea at some point.

Reactions: Zygote1975