Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I got to drive my sisters X for the first time today and it was an extremely smooth ride. Very quiet inside (didn’t go on highway). The yoke felt good however I caught myself reaching for the top when turning and knew that it would take a tad to get used to but wasn’t much of an issue. The turn signal was weird too (due to muscle memory) and I accidentally hit while turning back in my neighborhood. I did put it in insane mode to gauge the acceleration compared to my M3P and unfortunately it’s a noticeable amount slower than the Model 3 performance. Once it got going it felt about even but the take off was not “put you in the back of your seat” fast.. but I guess that’s why you buy a plaid. She told me she’s still trying to figure stuff out, as she’s a first time Tesla owner but there’s tons she loves about the car. Lastly, regarding the head lights. I did light show and it did not spell Tesla like my M3P did but all the doors and trunk opened which was cool.

I’ve never owned an X, so don’t know if this is a new feature. But when you turn the yoke to the left or the right, the lights turn/light up in the direction the wheels are turned. Is this new?
Overall the car is bad ass and I’m hyped to get my S for the speed, but the X for the family/doors!

i'm not sure what this school, no school, med school discussion is about. I'm just here trying to get a feel about when my X is coming. Hopefully this thread can stay somewhat on topic even though it is a 'waiting room'
Back on topic.

This is what happened to me on the 1/5/22 in the middle of a road trip. So it affects the new MX also. If you are in a cold climate I hope they fix this before you take delivery.

Last edited:
So I got to drive my sisters X for the first time today and it was an extremely smooth ride. Very quiet inside (didn’t go on highway). The yoke felt good however I caught myself reaching for the top when turning and knew that it would take a tad to get used to but wasn’t much of an issue. The turn signal was weird too (due to muscle memory) and I accidentally hit while turning back in my neighborhood. I did put it in insane mode to gauge the acceleration compared to my M3P and unfortunately it’s a noticeable amount slower than the Model 3 performance. Once it got going it felt about even but the take off was not “put you in the back of your seat” fast.. but I guess that’s why you buy a plaid. She told me she’s still trying to figure stuff out, as she’s a first time Tesla owner but there’s tons she loves about the car. Lastly, regarding the head lights. I did light show and it did not spell Tesla like my M3P did but all the doors and trunk opened which was cool.

I’ve never owned an X, so don’t know if this is a new feature. But when you turn the yoke to the left or the right, the lights turn/light up in the direction the wheels are turned. Is this new?
Overall the car is bad ass and I’m hyped to get my S for the speed, but the X for the family/doors!
I’m not really surprised it’s slower feeling than the Model 3 Performance as it’s over 1,100 pounds heavier. And less aerodynamic as well.

Last edited:

What was the suspension setting? It has to be on Low/Very Low for max accel. The 0-60 spec is supposed to be on-par with a Long Range 3 w/ Acceleration Boost.

The LR 3 + Acceleration Boost is about equal to the P3 at 45mph onwards. The 0-30 of the P3 is where it has the advantage over the LR3 w/ boost.

I think about changing to the Plaid X at least once per day, but at the end, the small difference in range and efficiency is more worth it to me. If I were to get a Plaid, it would be an S. I want the X as a people mover, and as long as it's as quick as my 3, that's all I need.

Last edited:
Back on topic.

This is what happened to me on the 1/5/22 in the middle of a road trip. So it affects the new MX also. If you are in a cold climate I hope they fix this before you take delivery.

Should be fixed in the new 2021.44.30.6 or 2021.44.30.7 software

Reactions: UCF3 and Levi.
What was the suspension setting? It has to be on Low/Very Low for max accel. The 0-60 spec is supposed to be on-par with a Long Range 3 w/ Acceleration Boost.

The LR 3 + Acceleration Boost is about equal to the P3 at 45mph onwards. The 0-30 of the P3 is where it has the advantage over the LR3 w/ boost.

I think about changing to the Plaid X at least once per day, but at the end, the small difference in range and efficiency is more worth it to me. If I were to get a Plaid, it would be an S. I want the X as a people mover, and as long as it's as quick as my 3, that's all I need.
It was on Auto.. Not low..

My TM3 in Sport/Boost goes head to head with my TMYP to around 70mph. Don't think it can hang with a TM3P.

My TM3 in Sport/Boost goes head to head with my TMYP to around 70mph. Don't think it can hang with a TM3P.
It won't. But after 30-40mph, it's not as drastic of a difference, which is the point I am trying to make. 0-30 or 0-40 is very dominated by the P3.

I actually really want a P3, but the HEPA filter and hatch of the YP is more use to me than track mode, and that's what I have on order alongside the X.

Granted, I would not mind having track mode for fun in the snow.

Reactions: suyoungman
...still waiting for first fat bastard plaid x dragy.. who is first to manage a 9s 1/4 if that even reach 9....and worst.. at least 8 month to get that to Finland..

Positive things
-maybe free 6 seater upgrade
-ordered before delivery lockdown outside US
-price should be order date
-"cheaper"fsd
-possibly matrix headlights

.. and waiting...

My first X didn't have those lights that moved but my 2018 did. I didn't notice for the longest time so I don't find them very useful. Excited to see what improvements have been made from the '18 X. There were a good amount of improvements from my first X to the 2nd and I'm hoping for an even bigger jump in the new X.

Particularly the heat pump, adaptive suspension, dual pane windows and hopefully FWD that work better. In the meantime i've been driving a Y and forgot how much softer the X will be

I'm not looking forward to the yoke though..big part of why i sold the refreshed S

The cornering lights (activated when directional are used) are not new. My 2019 MX did that too.

Regarding the yoke… it’s brilliant (as are the directionals) especially when on autopilot. You’ll get used to the controls quickly.

I have her now. Let me know what questions you guys have
PXL_20220114_013739309.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-20220113-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20220113-WA0005.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 84
  • PXL_20220114_013724555.jpg
    PXL_20220114_013724555.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
This is FYI only. It can be an outright lie, or has some truth to it but I just wanted to share with this forum. Despite all the misinformation we are getting from the factory or from our SA’s, I am grateful that each of us share the info given to us and we collectively filter out the cr8p and narrow down to whatever seems logical. Thank you again, TMC family.

Me: Hi. I noticed that the plaids are now ONLY available as six seaters. This is making me think that there is a problem with the 5/7 seaters. Would you have any info (big or small) to provide? I am really hoping to get my car before the first half of this year. But it’s really discouraging when I have no info other than what I see on my account which keeps changing. Thank you so much.

SA: Hi (he actually greeted with my name, which I give credit for taking the effort to put me in his contacts) — no issues with 5/7 seats, just a change we made to simplify production on the Plaid. We should have an update coming soon from what I’ve heard. I understand the frustration and I wish I could provide more, we don’t have much information either on non 6 seat builds yet

Me: Hi. Thanks for getting back to me. Do you know when that update would be coming? I wonder if changing to a six seater would help me get the car sooner? Any advice?

SA: Of course — sorry for the delay. Update should be in the next month or so. I will keep an eye out for any 6 seaters that come available before the 7. Can’t guarantee I’ll find something but you never know 😊