Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People still expecting the consistent build quality and strict tolerances of a legacy car manufacturer from a company that's only been in business <20 years (and has only really been making cars truly at scale for ~4 of those years). Now, customer service, however - that's a legitimate gripe. 😜
I'd expect *better* build quality given their modern production methods and technologies. The real source of Tesla's quality problems is they're a publically traded company with overly-aggressive quarterly goals, and are thus producing these vehicles too quickly. I mean, *paint drips* is an example of an utterly inexcusable problem that none of us here should be Tesla-apologists for.

I'd expect *better* build quality given their modern production methods and technologies. The real source of Tesla's quality problems is they're a publically traded company with overly-aggressive quarterly goals, and are thus producing these vehicles too quickly. I mean, *paint drips* is an example of an utterly inexcusable problem that none of us here should be Tesla-apologists for.
Totally fair - and I agree there are some inexcusable quality gaps regardless of how new a company may be (paint being an excellent example). I just got the sense he expected Porsche build quality when expectations should probably be a bit lower.

05C8527F-8206-49B0-BCFE-186503AE0374.png

My Jan 2022 6 seats plaid order has a date range now. The old 5 seats LR order still March.

Why

Thank you so much for your honest reviews. I strongly believe in those you just said. Tesla quality is very bad. Ignoring the fact that I like home charging and I do not have to fill gas tank at gas stations. I do not know why people are targeting you for your reviews but thanks. It is very useful information.
I agree. You are entitled to your opinion and it is valuable for most of us to hear every data point.

Hello All - I reached out to my Sales Advisor. My question was if I switch to Plaid will they guarantee me delivery before end of Feb 2022.

This is the response

"
Hi Rajesh,

I hope you had a great weekend. Were you able to decide if switching to the Plaid made sense for your delivery needs?

Although we cannot guarantee a specific date of delivery, the Plaid does have sooner availability. However, at this stage of your delivery situation, it may be best to continue to wait for the Long Range.

Your patience is much apricated, and we are working hard to get you into your new Tesla as soon as possible.

Have a fabulous week!"

out of 5 teslas i've only had paint 'drip' issues once on an early production model 3. The volume selling 3 and Y are pretty solid right now in terms of QC
Picked up my LRY last weekend - it has been pretty flawless. Compared to my 2017 X, it is much better in terms of fit and finish. Looked inside, under Frunk and cable routing and equipment placement was much better - indicative of significant manufacturing process improvements.

As far as customer service: My experiences have been positive, with mobile service being a huge plus.

So my personal experience with 2 vehicles over 4 years has been pretty positive....

Issues that I see:
- Really bad projections / communications of when a new car is being delivered.
- FSD is a work in progress with too big of a gap between marketing hype and reality - even ghost braking is something that should not be happening now (other cars with adaptive cruise control, do not have as much trouble with it.)
- Automated windshield wipers are not as good as current competitors.

My Plaid order placed in November just went from EDD August to Feb 3 - 24.
I never intended the Plaid to come before my June 2021 order of the Long Range X (EDD like everyone else with a placeholder of "March") , now I'm torn on what to do.
While the Plaid has my now desired color config, the extra $30k for 20 miles less range is not desirable. I placed the Plaid order thinking it may be a nice resale vehicle later on... now it may be my first chance to get back into a Model X.
Exactly the same situation and feeling! My worry is if we take the Plaid, the LR will come 2 weeks later, if we don't take the Plaid the LR comes who knows when...

2.55 seconds without subtracting 1 foot rollout, so 2.3 with. So one more data point showing that 0-60 diff between S and X Plaid is 0.3 seconds. So Tesla advertises 0-60. S Plaid is the only model where 0-60 is advertised with 1 foot rollout. All other models don't subtract rollout which makes their 0-60 times look further apart from the S Plaid than they really are. If they compared apples to apples, it might cannibalize sales of their higher margin product.

Note that the charge level in this video looks close to full compared to Vehicle Virgin's 65% so SOC doesn't make that much difference where traction is limited.

Last edited:
Like most of you, I check my EDD multiple times a day and reading this forum has become a bedtime routine 😀. However, looking at the $TSLA, this could be blessing in disguise. I was paying cash for the car instead I am now considering taking a loan and invest the cash buying TSLA....thoughts?
Ah,
I like to check my EDD in the morning when I wake up. It really helps set my expectations for the day. It's all up hill from there.