Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
couldn’t log on yesterday due to being at Disney. But after reading all 14 pages this morning, I think there are a few that haven’t posted their March to April EDD movement. Please post about it now. I need to know. Dying to know.

And sawyer is our friend now! Yay! Welcome back, SM.

Now I’m off to Galaxy’s Edge to meet my Sith family at Hollywood Studios. So please post many more disappointed posts about EDDs so I can have 15+ pages to read tomorrow.

So spicy. Are you my new DaddyPig?

My sincere condolences to all of you being moved to April. Everything I've seen so far does seem to point to the "naked months" being a true placeholder value, with the range values possibly being indicative of the "soft matching" some SAs are talking about.

That being said, just over 2 weeks short of a year since my order was placed, I finally woke up to that sweet, sweet character string: 7SAXCBE66NF332XXX
Hopefully it sticks.

Plaid
White/White
20"
OG 6 Seater
FSD

Delivery to Atlanta metro area February 25 - March 1st. @Niranga you've got to be next (if you don't have one already). You were my indicator since your Plaid order was just a few days before me, same area.

Congratulations @greidy!!

I too woke up few days back to a VIN. Exact same delivery window. Our cars must be sharing a ride! I too hope it sticks. I will pass 365 mark in few days.

Plaid Red/Cream
OG 6 Seat
22” with FSD
Order: 2/21/2021
VIN: 7SAXCBE64NF3331XX

• Love
Reactions: greidy and lexus26
Germany here.

Just ordered a MX to replace our 5 yo MX100D with 140.000 km.

Black/white, 5 seats, non plaid; if it accelerates delivery time, I am willing to upgrade

Paid 100 Euro (refundable); no price, no delivery date - nothing. You get whatever we are producing at the time we are ready for delivery.

Kinda like the CT or the new roadster.

Now the wait begins. Not so bad, because we get to keep the 'old' MX a bit longer.(we do not have to walk ;))
I ordered a Plaid in Jan 2021 and hope I'll get it this year (Germany as well). Keeping my X 75D until then.

At least the US customers will beta test the vehicle before we get it. :)

Reactions: Johann Koeber
I had to leave the this thread for a few weeks. It was consuming way to much of my time!! I missed you all. Any updates? I'm back a LOT of pages. I just need to know if and when 7 seaters will start production! 😭

6/21
MX LR 7 seat
White/Black/FSD/22"
Crickets! Not a single 5 or 7 seat VIN or delivery. No real, concrete news as to when or even if they will ever be produced!

Reactions: nBar5EV1
I would feel uncomfortable messing with such a critical part of the vehicle. I think I would rather just stick with the Yoke and any initial growing pains that it may bring.
It's a simple plug n play switch. Using existing 3 connectors & original airbag. There are a few variations available from different online outlets. I read that some are using original Tesla core/ housings. I'm looking forward to the new yoke experience..... Might upgrade to a custom aftermarket leather/carbon/fiber or/alcantera upgraded yoke style steering wheel more fitting a Tesla....Am up to experiencing & learning new things- Have to use the brain muscle. And is nice to have personal options & choices...to each his own..

Last edited:
Reactions: focher
I'm still trying to figure out why I'm supposed to be glad Elon went on twitter and responded like he did.

• Its been over a year since they stopped production of the X.
  • They've lied to all of us, and continue to lie to all of us, about our delivery dates.
  • They admitted, looking back, a year ago shutting down the line when they had a healthy backlog was a bad idea... Wow. Really. No *sugar* Sherlock.
  • He mentioned how hard the X is to produce... again... not new information. Didn't they say this with the original X how many years back. (You know, maybe learn from your mistakes and when you refresh it, work on those sort of issues)
  • He said there is an issue with "interior trim"... maybe the one new bit of information offered. But I suspect its probably not new, and that by "interior trim" when he means is the 3 seat bench which caused them to cancel the 5/7 configuration on the Plaid, encourage early 5/7 config LRX's to switch to 6 in order to get "double secret priority" delivery, and to have shipped zero 5 or 7 seat configurations on the refreshed X.

What he didn't address
  • Will the 5/7 seat LR-X be produced in a meaningful timeframe, if at all
  • How does Tesla take into account order dates in their logistic plannings on what to produce... why are mide/late 2021 Plaid's getting fulfilled when late 2020 LR-X's still aren't
  • Why did Tesla take orders on cars they knew were not in production and a price/delivery date they knew they could not hit
  • Why did Tesla take orders on cars and the retroactively raise the price on customers.
  • Why did Tesla take $6500 on LR-X orders to switch to 6 seat with a promise of delivery by end of the year, but they did not meet that date for many, many have still not shipped, and they appear to be refusing to refund that money
  • Why has Tesla repeatedly quoted delivery times to customers which they miss badly on
  • Why does Tesla publish an "estimated delivery date" to customers which appears to be fundamentally flawed
  • Why do Tesla sales reps appear to not have basic information on production and delivery dates
  • Why do some Tesla sales reps appear to provide data which appears to be categorically false
  • Why over a year in on many orders, is Tesla still unable to provide a delivery date for many customers
  • What is Tesla doing to improve the information they provide to their customers with orders on cars
Won't even get into some of the basic production problems people see as well in terms of things like paint, gaps, door alignment, etc. I guess you could almost forgive those as "new car issues" (given though they had the same issues on the original X and also things like the paint passed QA... its still an issue)

Lets be honest, the only person who "won" and should "be thankful" of this post was Sawyer Merritt. He got more likes/subscribes to his Twitter feed because Elon replied to him.

Happy birthday Tesless. Mine was in Feb. also and I turned 87. Shouldn't us old guys get preference on deliveries? We don't have that much time left to enjoy our X 🥲
Your life expectancy is at least as long as the Tesla battery warranty! So you are good to go!

Besides, they are working on fine tuning FSD before releasing it to you - By the time you get the car, you really won't be driving it anymore...

😁

Lets be honest, the only person who "won" and should "be thankful" of this post was Sawyer Merritt. He got more likes/subscribes to his Twitter feed because Elon replied to him.

But he did risk getting kicked out of Elon's echo chamber. Doesn't matter anyway because I've never seen Sawyer post something that wasn't already available publicly on reddit/blogs.

Elon's was definitely a non-tweet though.

Reactions: ironwill96
I'm still trying to figure out why I'm supposed to be glad Elon went on twitter and responded like he did.

• They've lied to all of us, and continue to lie to all of us, about our delivery dates.
  • They admitted, looking back, a year ago shutting down the line when they had a healthy backlog was a bad idea... Wow. Really. No *sugar* Sherlock.
  • He mentioned how hard the X is to produce... again... not new information. Didn't they say this with the original X how many years back. (You know, maybe learn from your mistakes and when you refresh it, work on those sort of issues)
  • He said there is an issue with "interior trim"... maybe the one new bit of information offered. But I suspect its probably not new, and that by "interior trim" when he means is the 3 seat bench which caused them to cancel the 5/7 configuration on the Plaid, encourage early 5/7 config LRX's to switch to 6 in order to get "double secret priority" delivery, and to have shipped zero 5 or 7 seat configurations on the refreshed X.

What he didn't address
  • How does Tesla take into account order dates in their logistic plannings on what to produce... why are mide/late 2021 Plaid's getting fulfilled when late 2020 LR-X's still aren't
  • Why did Tesla take orders on cars they knew were not in production and a price/delivery date they knew they could not hit
  • Why did Tesla take orders on cars and the retroactively raise the price on customers.
  • Why did Tesla take $6500 on LR-X orders to switch to 6 seat with a promise of delivery by end of the year, but they did not meet that date for many, many have still not shipped, and they appear to be refusing to refund that money
  • Why has Tesla repeatedly quoted delivery times to customers which they miss badly on
  • Why does Tesla publish an "estimated delivery date" to customers which appears to be fundamentally flawed
  • Why do Tesla sales reps appear to not have basic information on production and delivery dates
  • Why do some Tesla sales reps appear to provide data which appears to be categorically false
  • Why over a year in on many orders, is Tesla still unable to provide a delivery date for many customers
  • What is Tesla doing to improve the information they provide to their customers with orders on cars
Won't even get into some of the basic production problems people see as well in terms of things like paint, gaps, door alignment, etc. I guess you could almost forgive those as "new car issues" (given though they had the same issues on the original X and also things like the paint passed QA... its still an issue)

Great writeup.
Valid points and honestly, we are all taken for a ride. :)
I can feel some fans of Tesla here seething in rage and wanting to ask me to choose any other car. :)
My point is, if I am made to wait for over a year and am a customer, I can be mad at Tesla and rant about my frustration. $99 I gave for the order does buy me the right.
I am a victim of the call in Oct 2021 who was asked to change to 6 seat config to get my car by the end of the year if I could pay extra $6500 to which I agreed. I am still waiting.
Monopoly in the market for EV is what is causing the headstrong behavior of Tesla.

This is my opinion as well. Hope I'm wrong. I asked the SA exactly this and he said he wouldn't be surprised if 5 seaters were never produced. However he had not heard that internally.
If this happens the whole point of having a SUV in their line-up goes away. The lack of extra storage capacity in the 6-seater might make 50-60% drop their orders (orders look like a fairly even 33% split between 5-6-7 seater). Personally I need 7 seats to fit my family + in laws or visitors since we only have one car. If it only comes in 6 I might have to reconsider

What he didn't address

Yeah, it's interesting and will get me cancelled for saying it but everyone constantly talks about Teslas continuous improvements and not having traditional model years. I completely disagree with that where it matters. They've been producing the X for a long time now and have not improved any of the production line issues people regularly complain about from FWD scratching off paint, to FWD and panel alignments, to lack of upper body stiffness causing internal creaking, to lack of a proper recline function on 6 seater, lack of creature comforts like an armrest in rear of X (everyone else who does captain style chairs provides an armrest), lack of second and third row storage where passengers have to basically put anything they have on the floor, the floor carpet all feels reduced in quality from early models.

If this happens the whole point of having a SUV in their line-up goes away. The lack of extra storage capacity in the 6-seater might make 50-60% drop their orders (orders look like a fairly even 33% split between 5-6-7 seater). Personally I need 7 seats to fit my family + in laws or visitors since we only have one car. If it only comes in 6 I might have to reconsider
I am also in the camp that if 5-7 seaters don't get produced and 6 seat was the only option, I'd cancel my order. I need an SUV for the utility. If they do that then I'll go else where.